FusionBB... do we want this for our new forum software?

Automan2164

Recently, Pete has been struggling with some of the problems with our freeware forum software. Our spam protection has dropped, as well as some of our services in the form of updates. He has mentioned about FusionBB, which is an alternative offered to our current programming. It would be a Pay service, so we would want to make sure it would be something we would want. I think Pete said it would be about $10 a month.

Anywho... Does anyone belong to a forum or manage one running on FusionBB software? I found the Forum for FusionBB, and its running on its own software, shown here:

http://www.fusionbb.com/forum/index.php?

Just looking at their page, I see a shout box, which appears to be an I'm that travels with the site, and I like that. The calendar would also be nice when planning outings, I know for the MWC anyway. I don't know if all of these cool little options would be available to us, but take a stroll through their site, and give us some feedback.

Rob L. :cheers:

Can pics be posted without using a image service site,IE, PhotoBucket?

Almost all (including the phpBB we currently use for CC) can support "attaching" images to posts. The problem lies in the amount of bandwidth that ties up on the server end. When you "attach" your photo to a post, you're uploading it to the forum server. We would have to increase our bandwidth and storage capacity to support such a thing and that is $$$. I've run several forums in the past and I can tell you that allowing members to attach photos is not a good idea. My domain provider had this nice little clause in their contract that said if I go over my monthly allotted bandwidth, I get charged overage fees. So, imagine my face when I saw that some dickhead member on my forums decided to upload a bunch of uncompressed images from his Nikon SLR camera at 1.5Mb a piece. I think he uploaded somewhere around 500 photos and he did it on purpose because as a means to "get me back."

I say we keep images off of our server and let someone like photobucket or imageshack deal with the bandwidth issues :D

vBulletin?

Yuck. vBulletin is crap.

From a user or administrative standpoint? I've never run a vBulletin site, but I've never had any complaints as a user. It's chock-full of features and I think it's capabilities dwarf what we have here, but rightfully so since it's so much more $$.

I don't like how a quarter of the page on the left is taken up with "recent topics". It looks like a nice software though.

You need to keep in mind that there are hundreds of templates for fusionbb that can be used to change the layout and design of the site. I'd venture a guess that there is probably a template that could get us close to how CC looks now.

Edit: Ok, maybe not hundreds. I thought fusionbb was more widely used, but it looks to have a pretty small user-base.

The question I have is: which forum system would be easiest to port all of the threads from the current setup to the new one? There are so many useful topics on this system that it would be a shame if they were all lost, and copy/pasting them all sure won't work.

threads and members shouldn't be an issue. It's the other details that would need to be re-inserted, like avatars, settings, permissions etc.

Plus our entire site is backed-up on a regular basis. :thumbsup:

I guess I might be reading it wrong, but:

When I look at the "sample" forums that are running FusionBB, it shows the number of hits after the forum title. If that is the actual number of users on any given forum, will it be able to support the number of users that we have? or, does that number simply reflect the number of folks that have "looked" at that test forum?

I also agree with the busy comment - the pages look full, even on the working forums (I went to Chevytalk.com).

Just my .02

I about had a heart attack after the last big change to the site . I hate change so my vote is no but it really isn't up to me . I do know the sample site and the chevytalk sites are way to "busy" for me with all the adds etc.. And doesn't seem as easy to navigate , just my 2 cents

there will be no ads. ever. and I prefer a more simplistic layout, so that will be striven for as much as possible. :thumbsup:

but change of some kind will be happening. It appears that if we keep phpbb, to fix the glitches we will be starting pretty much from scratch. The threads and usernames should transplant over, but that's about it. :( No matter what it's going to be a ton of work.