Trak-loc Posi or No?

The stroker is going to Hesco next week for her semi-annual dyno checkup. I'm also going to drop off my newly acquired D44 and they will do the regearing from 3.54 to 4.09, that requires a new carrier. I have a new Trac-Loc carrier that came with the axle and a new open carrier, both for 3.92+ gear ratios.

My 2WD rig never sees any offroad, but does see occasion hard onroad. :D I've snapped two axles on the current 4.10 open carrier D35 (one on the local 1/8 mile drag strip) since the stroker went in. I've had both axles on previous XJs, and have had no problems with either in the past. I'm planning to occasionally revisit the local 1/8 mile strip, but the main purpose of my rig will be the D/D, and maintaining decent gas mileage.

I'm leaning to the open diff, less maintenance down the road, and can see no valid reason for the Trak-Loc. Experienced comments?

Some people don't do burn outs. Have absolutely no idea in hades what they do do for fun tho.

I have a 68 Cad with a turdo'd 520 engine. When I lived in town I would lay rubber from the driveway to the corner. One day the neighbor asked me why I always did it. I just looked at her and replied "cause I can" Some things you just can't explain. Some things you shouldn't have to.

:shake:

Some people don't do burn outs. Have absolutely no idea in hades what they do do for fun tho.

I have a 68 Cad with a turdo'd 520 engine. When I lived in town I would lay rubber from the driveway to the corner. One day the neighbor asked me why I always did it. I just looked at her and replied "cause I can" Some things you just can't explain. Some things you shouldn't have to.

:shake:

haha so true same thing when I drove with my '95 c4 corvette. Its got huge addict to burn some rubber on stop light sometime... V8 TQ FTW! :banana:

anyway yea get good locker to help get better traction while acceleration.

what about Detroit trutrac locker almost same design of the torsen from the humvee has?

Okay guys, appreciate all the responses. Trash-Loc it is. It's not going to help my mileage, but the good outweighs the bad. Even though the carrier is new mileage-wise (20K), I'll be putting in a new clutch/disk kit. It's cheap enough to do. :cheers:

the ONLY reason I'd ever want an open rear diff is in a 2wd rig that saw lots of snow. last I checked that wasn't a big concern for you. :D

It has been lately Pete. 6" is still on the ground. When it snows here, everything shuts down. Schools, mail delivery, trash pickup, everything. They just plow the main roads and get to the side roads when they can. This weekend it's going back up above freezing, so hopefully this crap will melt. One good thing is that they don't use salt on the roads. :cheers:

Okay guys, appreciate all the responses. Trash-Loc it is. It's not going to help my mileage, but the good outweighs the bad. Even though the carrier is new mileage-wise (20K), I'll be putting in a new clutch/disk kit. It's cheap enough to do. :cheers:

I'm confused, how could having a trac-lok possibly hurt fuel mileage?

[i'm confused, how could having a trac-lok possibly hurt fuel mileage?

Two reasons. The extra weight of the Trac-Loc diff, and the added drag of the clutches when cornering. It's not a huge effect on mileage, but it does lower it somewhat.

The biggest detriment to mileage though is a heavy foot on the skinny pedal. :cheers:

As long as you don't constantly lift a tire offroad, a traclock is an amazing differential. The whole "clutch disks wearing" is more of a fantasy than a reality. You will really enjoy that traclock.

If you want you can install a Powerlock (4 spider gears) but I doubt you would ever stress it to the point of needing that.

• 4 weeks later...
the ONLY reason I'd ever want an open rear diff is in a 2wd rig that saw lots of snow. last I checked that wasn't a big concern for you. :D

Funny - Snow is why I have Trac-Lok in all the XJs, and a TrueTrac in the '88 MJ -- and with the limited slip rear axle I almost never need 4WD.

I have never understood people who think a limited slip in snow is something to be feared. ALL the routes from anywhere to my house involve steep uphill grades -- without a limited slip, there would have been a hundred times or more over the past 30 years when I would not have made it home without walking.