"Dump Humper" 89 Comanche rebuild

Hello my name is Jenssen, and I have a Jeep problem,...

I have a few in the stable :shake:

My Wife and I have now 4;

93 2Dr went from this:

To this (547,000KMS and still going strong)

04 TJ Rubicon

89 Cherokee

and the the Comanche,...

So here is the rusty POS that I found on Kijiji.ca when it was posted in here. I spent a whopping $50.00 to drag this cancerous demon home.

I bought this Jeep as I could justify the $50.00 as I could easily part it and recover the funds,.. now if it comes to life we can fix the rest.

So that being said this Jeep has been stolen, column smashed, been sitting for 3 years in the weeds, $60.00 later in towing the Dump Humper is home.

First things first will this bucket of bolts start and run? A battery went into the old girl,.. figured out the "hot wire" sequence and "click,...grunt" SFA happens,.. is the motor seized? Starter gone,.. I must dig deeper. Now what makes a starter engage but not allow the motor to turn over,..Seized? Well I liberally soak the cylinders with some bolt penetrating oil (why not??) and Eric my Diesel Fitter (deez-will-fit-her) asked me if I have checked the oil,.. seems simple so I did,..9 liters! So out it came and some fresh stuff went in. A fresh battery was installed , and low and behold it cranked over WHOOT! Halfway there,.. I cleaned the old plugs fixed some vacuum leaks and out came the slot blade screw driver key and a few moments later a haze of rusty black smoke reeking of stale fuel plumes from the tail pipe,. The dump humper has now moved a up status level. I changed out the injectors and installed a new column , now it starts no problem at all,.. now to face the next task,.. The Rot

,... I think I need a tetanus shot,..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets address the drivers door,..

So of course all but one of the Torx door bolts come off so I made an access door on the skin and convinced the door it needed to come off

hung the 97 door only to find out the door catch was in a different spot,.. so off came the pin to test fit

I dig it,.. one piece window, power windows and locks gigidy

So you will notice in the picture the door frame is cracked around the pin so that will have to be addressed,..

Welded ground and the new style catch is test fitted,..

Door adjusted and GM key lock installed to keep it true to form and because I didn't have the key for the new doors

Found some rad rot

old fender bender repair

Cut out some rot

Goodbye rusty rocker :)

Now lets play a game,... find the brake adjuster,...

Some parts bouncing around in the brakes,.. no biggie :eek:

Driver side rocker before

Both doors are on now,.. working on some electronic repairs,.. beauty interior,.. :shocker:

and finally it starts and runs!

Old "Rockers"

Got bored so I decided to figure out the height of the PYP Lift coils,.. I think they are approx 3.5"

A Few may ask WHY?? It's a $50.00 Truck,... well anybody can buy a Cherry truck,.. it may be a POS Bondo buggy below the surface but its shiney,.. for me I knew it was a POS and really because I want to and I can,.. and I find it fun,.. it's also good practice :)

few more updates,..

Just for an idea of what it could look like,...

Seems I netted a bit with the SOA swap in the rear,... the JY coils pale in comparison,..

Hopefully the box weight will lower the tail a bit :eek:

Yeeeaaah hmmmmm still pretty tall

HOLY RUST BUCKET!!! like you said tho it makes good practice and is a bit fun. what guage metal did you use for the frame? and a few of you pics need a space between the http. looking good so far and for $50 your only out a tank a gas. I'm diggin thoes spoked wheels

Awesome start so far, loving the mass amount of pictures.

Where did you get the cab corner?

Rob L. :cheers:

Honestly thought I was going to have to make it but I got lucky and found some in the J/Y on a Manche that met a solid object at speed

What color did you paint your 2dr. XJ? Is that Amber Fire? Oh and great job on the Comanche. That's a lot of work you've done so far.

The 93 colour started out as sunburst orange then we just started fawning with it lol, copper pearls,.. A drip of this a splash of that and boom the paint was done :)

And to say I thiught I had rust! What a greatbuild! Gonna keep my eye on this one :popcorn:

Brandon

Odd part is usually in Alberta cars have little to no rust,... But this unit did sit on the lawn for 3 years before I found it,...

Odd part is usually in Alberta cars have little to no rust,... But this unit did sit on the lawn for 3 years before I found it,...

What part of Alberta? Cuz in my part "little to no rust" meant I only had to cut out and replace the driver's floor, and one box side. Otherwise "average rust" is pretty much fit for the jy. Check the pics in my Photobucket link in my Sig. I payed too much for my '89 only to realize it's not worth fixing.

What part of Alberta? Cuz in my part "little to no rust" meant I only had to cut out and replace the driver's floor, and one box side. Otherwise "average rust" is pretty much fit for the jy. Check the pics in my Photobucket link in my Sig. I payed too much for my '89 only to realize it's not worth fixing.

Lots of good manches around , many with very little rust,.. But way more than $50.00 lol. I can fix the rust on your 89 send it to me next fall,... I am from Ontario originally so AB rust is easy for me lol