"Dump Humper" 89 Comanche rebuild

Well I needed some more instant gratification tonight so I decided to sand the roof,.. peeling clearcoat,.. seems innocent right?

first couple of passes,..

oh wait what do we have here????

FAWK more rust,...

Should of named this the "Leper" Project,..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I decided to shift gears, and try somthing I have never done,..

The headliner,.. was out with my Wife and we stopped at the fabric store,.. Grabbed some batting and headliner-ish fabric. So I started on stripping the old crap off,..

Hosed on the 3M spray glue and attached the batting

Then I did the same with the fabric

It's not perfect but it looks pretty damn good I think for the $20ish dollars I invested in the experiment :)

Looks good , but inevitably you will be doing it again :eek: Next time re-inforce the panel with a layer of fiber-glass mesh and simply paint it with flat / texturized acrylic ( Fusion ) . A small roller will give the texture simular to fabric .FWIW :thumbsup: Your doing an amazing job on this project ! I'm addicted to this thread :popcorn:

Just read through this whole thread. GREAT work. When I saw the first few pics I thought, "that guy is nuts ... that truck is toast." But you proved me wrong. Keep up the good work, we are all having a great time watching your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not even have a clue what to call it at this point,.. Crapmanche?? LOL

Well I lost a bit of motivation due to my work life balance and the fact that its been nucking futz the last couple of weeks,,...... So Wifey and I are taking off to California this weekend from Friday returning Monday to recharge the batteries,... I am starting to worry about the "Comp" XJ and its rebuild time for the July 1st weekend race so Ihave to really get on the MJ.

More pics once i get some real work done. On that note the 98 power window doors are now working but the mirrors and door locks have me confusidid (confused) at the the moment

• 2 weeks later...

Today after some nice warm weather I woke up to this

and it's still going ,.. so out to the shop I went and started on the crap I didn't want to work on,...

Decided to finish welding patches in and finishing the rocker,...ect

It's slowly looking like a truck again :)

A few updates,.. decided to pull the box to clean the frame, prep for the new diffs, pull that stupid brake adjuster, ect, ect

Found some welds that made it by the illustrious AMC Quality control dept,... :fs1:

Nice perocity,...

Found some interesting undercut and basic lack of weld on the frame rails,... so that had to be fixed,..

Tried the Jackson "NITRO" ADF Welding helmet tonight and let me tell you for a value priced bucket ,... it's DAMN NICE!

I am happier with this :)

Noticed an oddity in the frame rails,.. Silver paint,... very odd and a nice colour

Likely the colour I will end up with on this project,..

that's it for tonight I think,.. I am tired and dirty

Nice work Man!

You wanna buy my '89? It'd be a prime candidate for your metal-work magic. I'm just gonna scrap it anyway as I don't have room for two (read: my wife doesn't) and don't have the time or patience for that much body work.

Nice work Man!

You wanna buy my '89? It'd be a prime candidate for your metal-work magic. I'm just gonna scrap it anyway as I don't have room for two (read: my wife doesn't) and don't have the time or patience for that much body work.

comanche.gif Pics? jenssen(at)racingfrthecure.ca comanche.gif

OK so I lost my s#it tonight,... I was working n the drivers door and chasing dents,... the mudd fawker was full of them and bad , so as I was patching the corner the little elastic band in my brain snapped

and I "disciplined" the door,.. I am now in need of a new door,..

Off to the wreckers tomm for a new one now I guess

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well this hasn't been updated in a while truck still sits with its 4 brother and sisters,.. One if the 5 Comanches WILL become the new race truck for next year. It's down to the 90 4cly 4 SPd or this one. The 90 eliminator is too rare here, the 88 4cyl 5 SPD is too pretty and the 88 6 cyl is too farm fresh clean,..