1988 MJ aka Mary Jane

I bought my '88 Comanche over the summer and I am slowly making it a suitable trail rig. It has a full front axle and cooling system swap out of a '98 cherokee and i used all of the interior to craft my own into my Comanche. It has a 5 speed AX-15 swap and 4.5 in lift with 32/11.50 BFG all terrains and aluminum pro comp wheels. Tell me what you guys think.

the dents will come back with use :yes: looks good. are thoes wheels m/t classic? why will you be cuttin the fenders? probly a dumb question but does it rub with the 32s or will you be putting bigger tires on? hope youll be making a cool bumper, not some of the cobbled up pieces of scrap ive seen on a few rigs :ack:

the front tires rub in turns without flexing any at all... when you put it in a hard spot they rub pretty bad. i'm going to take a little out so that i can bump up to a 33 anyway. And no it wasn't real hard to change the seats... just lots of trial and error. The cherokee and comanche match up pretty good even when they are 10 years different.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about putting a set of gears in it as my next project. I think i'm going with 3.73's but i'm not sure if i need to change carriers or not or if there is anything else i need to know? anyone have any idea?

Hi, nice truck. I just had the gears done in my truck. I went with 3.73s also. To keep the cost down I swaped in a whole dana 30 front axle fron an 84 cherokee with a 4cylinder. It was cheaper to buy the whole axle from pick-n-pull than it was to puy new gears & have them installed. And a friend gave me his factory trac-loc with 3.73s from his TJ. That way all i had to pay to have installed was the rear gears/carrier. Just something to consider, but probably won't make a difference if you do it your self.

4 cylinder cherokees didn't come with 4.10s until 86 with the "off-highway vehicle" package. And some (not sure when cut off was) came with CV joints instead of U-joints, The shafts from your current axle will slide right in or it is also a good time to swap in the later ones with bigger u-joints. I don't know it they slide right in but I don't see why they wouldn't.

ps. 4cylinder cherokees are usualy hard to find. Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...