New here/ my MJ caught fire!

over2land

So, I'm going in to work yesterday, driving down the freeway, talking on the phone with my girlfriend, and start smelling electrical burning. Then I lose power and decide to get off the freeway at the next off ramp. I had lost power going down the 5 a month or two ago, pulled off, and didn't see anything wrong. Felt like a vaccuum leak or something both then and now.

Well, driving off the offramp, the truck shuts off totally. By the time I came to a stop, the hood had warped paint had a huge bubble in it, and I realized it was on fire. Just after I realized that, as if to confirm it, smoke starts pouring out from under the hood.

I get out of the truck, run up to the Mimi's Cafe (on Mckinley and the 91), tell them my truck is on fire out front and ask for an extinguisher (apparently mine was in my YJ). Get the extinguisher and run back out. Tried to spray through the grill with no results, try to get it from underneath with minimal results. Then I try to pop the hood... and can't. So, I basically dump the whole extinguisher at it from under the hood.

Seeing that that didn't help, I call 911 and tell them what's up, they say they'll send a fire truck right away. I then decide if I'm going to lose the truck, at least I can take the stuff out from inside it. I yank the dash panel apart, use a ratchet to get the stereo out of the dash, cut the wires with my knife... and in the process cut my finger on some exposed wire or metal or something... then clean everthing out from behind the seats, console and glove box. About that time I hear the sirens from the fire dept... here's some pictures that take it from there.

Sorry bout the clarity of the pics, all I had was the cell phone.

Final damage: my finger, most of the plastic under the hood, including wiring, sensors, wiper fluid resevoir, PS pump resevoir and others... I really dunno what all is hammered. I had cut myself bad enough to need stitches. Of course, I didn't have time for that... so when I'm healed up enough where the finger doesn't bleed if I look at it, I'll try and figure out what to do about the truck.

And, no, insurance won't cover it, I've only got liability.

Now I'm torn between fixing it, selling it as is, or getting another MJ/XJ and swapping my suspension and axles and stuff over.

I had the up on NAXJA, and they pointed me here... after looking around a bit, I figured if nothing else, you all would like to see the horror story.

welll, don't sell it... and if you do... sell it to one of us lol... i would HATE to see this thing stripped or something. its even cleaner than mine and mines been a GA truck all its life!

btw whos rear springs are those? SUA that looks like a good 5.5-6"?

Alcan custom rear springs. About 6 inches is right.

I've got two sets... the set that is on there is more of a prerunning set. The other set is more if I wanted to use it as a truck. I got the heavier duty set first and it was just too stiff... but worked good for hauling big blocks around.

Then the second set they sent me was just awesome. This thing is killer off road.

It wasn't really meant to be a rockcrawler, and without the t-case and front driveshaft, it would do horribly. However, it works killer on fire roads, desert trails, and things like that.

If I were to sell it, what do you guys think it'd be worth?

Yeah, but the problem is, its got the following, still in good shape (undamaged by fire, around 10K miles)

rear D44 with Detroit locker, 4.56 gears, new brakes 10K ago

extended front and rear stainless braided brake lines

front high pinion D30 with Detroit Trutrac, 4.56 gears

two sets of rear Alcan springs, about 6 inches of lift.

Rockcrawler.com 1 inch rear lift shackles

Fabtech front 4 inch lift coil springs

Fabtech adjustable coil spacers

Fabtech 2.25 Dirt logic remote resevoir shocks

Currie Enterprises HD tie rod/drag link setup

JKS adjustable sway bar disconnects

TnT Customs Y-link long arm front suspension

So... while I don't doubt its not worth as much as it was on Monday when it was running and driving, it does have some good parts to it. And, the body is as rust free as can be.

man sorry to here about your luck but if you want to rebuilt it I would. Plus I am parting out an 87 sport truck I don't no where your at but I have a hood and all the wiring under the hood from the 4.0 and it was a 4x4 with 5 speed. I just don't want to see some one send a good lookin MJ to the junk yard thats all. Drop me an email if there is any parts you need

Man, that really blows. I was really enjoying watching the buildup of that thing. I would suggest trying to salvage it. This would be a good time to swap in that different motor/trans/transfercase you've probably been dreaming about.

By the way... if this is Pete... I really enjoy your writing!

Let us know what you decide to do.

later, j