bmyohn's 88 build thread

I figured I would start up a build thread on here since I'm getting ready to tear into my MJ that I just picked up. As it sits it is a 1988 MJ short-bed with the 2.5L 4cyl motor, 4 speed, 2wd. I picked it up for $425 with two full size spare tires on rims.

My plans for the project are as follows:

• Fix rust on floor boards
    Swap 97+ front clip
    Fenders
    Doors
    Interior
    Swap in 4.0L with full 97+ wiring harness
    Convert to 4wd
    Swap the axles out of my XJ (D30 HP (trussed, locked, 4.88s)/8.8" (locked, discs, 4.88s)
    Body work/paint job
    Bedline interior and recarpet
    Cut out rockers for 2x6 steel
    Etc.

Who know's how long this will take to fully accomplish but it's a list of goals I'd like to see happen to this thing.

But here's some pictures of how it was when I bought it

It sits behind my apartment for right now, so I have slowly begun removing body pieces that will be replaced by 97+pieces.

So today I got the front header assembly removed, bumper, front valance, both fenders and bracketry that hold the fenders on, I also pulled the front radiator and fan assembly as well. Tomorrow if everything goes as planned the motor will be pulled, so over Thanksgiving break I can start to completely clear out the engine bar, scrub it down real well and repaint it.

Here's what I have done so far today.

(If anyone needs fenders, grille assembly, radiator, etc PM me and we can work something out)

-Brendan

Got a few things done today.

The motor and transmission have been pulled, it was much easier then I thought it would be. When you don't have to stop and take pictures of wiring harnesses and label every connection point, pulling a motor is much simpler.

I got the airbox and vacuum lines removed from the driver's side of the engine bay.

The passenger's side has been cleaned up too, including the blower motor.

Apparently at one point there was a mouse living in the blower motor because it was packed full of newspaper shavings and cotton material.

(That's after I cleaned most of it out)

Bye, bye old trusty 4cyl

Things aren't quite as much of a mess when there isn't any coolant in the block. But the transmission oil was so nasty and black it almost looked like motor oil.

Here's how she's going to sit until I can get the rest of the engine bay cleaned up, dash removed and the rest of the wiring torn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Today, I got the dash and all wiring pulled from the interior. Also pulled the driver's side door.

I also noticed some more rust underneath the padding behind the pedals, but it isn't too bad.

I also have a lead on an $800 - 1999 XJ with 242k on the clock, the owner is supposed to email me pictures of it soon, so well will see if we have donor vehicle in the next few weeks. Up till then, I am going to try and get some front floor pans ordered and get the rest of the engine bay washed up so I can get it painted up.

Cool project and I like the plan you have for it, BUT, if you're going to go through all of the trouble of doing the '97+ swap (or it looks like you may be paying Pat to do it...either way), why go with a donor with so many miles. We all know the 4.0L is a tank of an engine, but a 4.0L w/242K is no spring chicken...

Cool project and I like the plan you have for it, BUT, if you're going to go through all of the trouble of doing the '97+ swap (or it looks like you may be paying Pat to do it...either way), why go with a donor with so many miles. We all know the 4.0L is a tank of an engine, but a 4.0L w/242K is no spring chicken...

I think that I am going to do the swap on my own. I just started as a shop hand in a marina and the techs that work there that I've known for a long time said they could help me rebuild the motor into a stroker at some point. If I got the machine work done they would help reassemble the motor with me. So i'm not too worried about the mileage on the motor (but the trans may be an issue).

I'm not sure to what extent you'll be doing the '97+ swap, but if you're going to do axles, steering, trans, etc. now you've got 242K mile bearings, bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, u-joints, transmission, transfer case, 242K mile front seats, carpet...ok, you get the idea. I would probably spend $500 tops on a 242K mile XJ and the body and interior would have to be in really good shape.

I definitely get where you're going with that. My only two big concerns would be the trans and TC. The axles will be coming out of my other XJ (D30/Ford 8.8"), and depending on the condition of the interior which I haven't seen yet I may swap seats over too. But then again the longer I wait the better the deal I will find, ideally I would love to find an XJ with a manual transmission to swap over. I just have to find the right deal and I'm in no rush to get it done

Got the bed removed today as well as the gas tank.

Overall the bed is in alot better shape underneatht then I was expecting. There isn't any rust on the underside of the bed, but just a little bit of rust on the shock mounts on the frame. But nothing a wire-wheel can't take care of.

The plan is to wire wheel off the rust on the frame, take it to the power-washer and get all the grime off of it. Maybe hit it with some primer then take it to Ziebart's to get the under-body covered.

On to some pics:

(overall, it is pretty clean)

Gas tank has some surface rust, but should clean up just fine.

Anyone want to turn this into a 6x6??