1JTMW66F1JT237903

Photo about 1994 near Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada

Year: 1988

Make: Jeep

Model: Base

Purchased: Used 1990 at Cherry Ford Chilliwack BC with about 58,000 kms (if I remember right)

Engine: 4.0 litre

Transmission: BA 10/5 - Boat Anchor, gone through 3 or 4 of them over the years.

Rear Axle:

Wheel Base: Long box

Build Date: July 1988

Current Location: Calgary AB

Status: 2nd vehicle, used almost daily 516,000 kms (Oct 2011) on the original engine.

About the only mechanical things that haven't been replaced or repaired is the rear end,

power steering, sensors, fuel pump and engine.

A year or so ago.

Modifications Installed:

Skylights (green plexiglass)

Red Fairy lights (stuck on plexiglass)

Bucket seats (redid passenger seat with syn. fur)

Universal headlight switch (with relay)

Heater blower switch (with relay)

Citizen Band Transceiver (Cobra) and antenna mounted rear of cab (SWR 1.3 to 1)

Homemade canopy (wooden frame with cloth covering)

Paint: custom - rust-o-luem using a paint brush.

Driving Lights (with relay)

Console (Cab ceiling)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just throwing in another perspective. I painted my truck with rust-o. I mixed black with blue to get the dark shade.

I bought more paint than I needed, gallon of blue and a gallon of black. Get some mineral spirits to thin the paint. I thinned the paint quite a bit, almost thin like water.

One good paint brush. Masking tape.

I also bought a can of exterior clear (water based) stuff for wood. Unfortunately the final coat of clear sort of wrecked the paint job cause it didn't smooth out like the thinned rust-o.

Just food for thought.

:wrench:

PS: make sure you put your grill back in the right way.

I've been dealing with rust on the cab floor. When it rains I get water on the cab floor.

This is an ongoing problem, and I'm at loss how the water is getting in.

Hopefully this work will slow down the rust a bit.

I cleaned the rust up a bit.

Slapped a coat of petroleum jelly and a layer of fibreglass.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today did a little painting under the truck.

Bought a K+N air filter.

Cleaned and gapped the the spark plugs.

On the way home from work, dropped her into 4th and matted the comanche for a little bit, broke the all time speed record for the beast at 138 kph (86 mph). The comanche started rattling/shaking at about 118 kph. I was getting concerned the whole rig make dynamite at any moment, I think the comanche would of climbed more up the speedo but I didn't want to push my luck.

Must of insulted a lot of other cars on highway with my old beater, a pile of them passed me as I slowed down.

The engine felt like it had more pep than usual, not sure if it was doing the plugs or the K+N filter, or both. Whatever, the comanche running better than I ever remember.

comancheB.gif

So who's had MJ's the longest, Bought my Comanche back in 1990 and I drive the comanche regularly to work or where ever.

the most MJ's Just one.

the most miles on MJ's, As I recall, bought the comanche second hand with 58,000 km, currently has about 516,000 km = 458,000 kms/275,000 miles.

etc etc... Same motor except for spark plugs, dist. caps and rotors, starters, water pump and various o rings. The engine is pretty much worn out but that new K+N air filter I bought the other day makes it the fasted Comanche I've driven.

• 9 months later...

Today's tip, when you remove and replace thingee's from the throttle area-

made sure you put it back exactly as it was. The lever on the thingee was put back wrong, which caused this-

The good thing about a ruptured muffler was I got to hear what throaty Comanche sounds like.

And now it's back to normal.

Profile E-mail

skidoo_j

Post subject: Re: Today's Tip

New postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Comanche aficionado

Not quite sure how the TPS sensor not getting put on the correct side would cause a muffler to blow up. Your ecu should have detected a very lean condition and then adjusted the impulse width of your injectors accordingly. I've ran my truck with the tps disconnected and never had an issue. Too bad this happened to you, but I'm not quite sure if you found the correct cause for your results.

89_4.0_5-speed ax-15_NP231_3.54 gears_D44 w/ lock-rite_SOA_4+1 MT springs_4" front lift w/no-slip_Posi-loc_Custom front/rear Bumpers

Profile E-mail

Post subject: Re: Today's Tip

New postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am

Comanche fan

I'm not sure of the finer details either. But since put back properly, there's no more backfiring or high idling.

• 2 weeks later...

Post subject: Re: what has your comanche gotten you?

My comanche gotten me around for about 466,000 km's over a 22 years.

Today while driving my Comanche to work, it got me wondering when my fuel pump or CPS will pack it in, I'm hoping they last forever.

My Comanche got a ticking lifter and its gotten me wondering about getting the engine fixed or replaced. That ticking doesn't represent Jeep's well.

One thing my Comanche has gotten me, that most other vehicles can't brag about, took out a lightpost along the highway (due to slick road conditions back in 93) and was able to drive away after changing a flat tire. I still can't figure how that Jeep climbed over that concrete base (approx 20" high) with both wheels and not get a scratch on the Jeep. Apart from preparing to die just before impact, it was kind of cool watching the light pole disappear over the cab.

What's my Comanche gotten me 99% of the time, HOME!

comanche.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My first engine swap, not looking forward to doing that again. Couldn't find out why the engine wouldn't start.

I decided to tow it to a shop and get them to look at it.

So $718 later they got it going. Parts they replaced were, 1 pcv emissions hose, 6 NGK spark plugs, 1 serpintine belt idler pully, 1 serpintine belt and 2 litres of antifreeze.  He said the belt tensioner was siezed, I guess I didn't put it on properly causing the serpintine belt to overheat.   So I gets'er home and next day the instrument gauges aren't working including the tach.  So I dicked around with that for a while, screw it.  I decided to fill the tank and count the k's for the next fill up.  Went to the gas station filled it up, started it up and voila, gauges and tach are working, except the speedo is bouncing around a bit. 

Good enough for me.  The engine I got has 302,000 k's on it, couple of cylinders have a compression of 60 and 65.  Runs OK, should last me for a decade I figure. :wrench:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Pete M unlocked this topic