Who has a CB?

Dump the fiberglass crap and get a steel whip and a spring base. I snapped 2 fiber ones off before wising up to the fact that Michigan has LOTS of evil trees. :( In the picture it looks thicker than it is due to the vacuum hose I put over it (purely for looks on the street, it comes off on the trail so the whip can better bounce off branches)

I use a magnetic-mount on the roof. And it does occasionally get knocked off by trees on trails, but it hasn't been a problem on the street.

Fiberglass whips are IMHO not a great idea if you're not driving an 18-wheeler up and down the Interstate.

its bolted straight through the plastic with a 3$ attachment, then we welded up a bracket that has a hole that the antenna runs through and is attached between the tailgate latch and the taillight housing to keep it from whipping to terribly much and hitting stuff on my jeep. (seems to keep it alot more stationary than the spring bases do) 102" whip antenna

I run a 4' wilson Fibreglass Flex and love it!!! Way better than your standard fibreglass, and I prefer them over the steel whips.

The flex is more flexiable than a steel whip and doesnt require a spring. You can take the tip, and bend it over to touch its base and it won't break. BUt still stiff enough that it doesnt go whipping around when wheeling, with the chance of taken out a bystander's eye...

I run mine just down the pass. side front fender on a 90* bracket.

HTH

Ryan

Dump the fiberglass crap and get a steel whip and a spring base.

No can do. I have zero cash and these were given to me. So, I'm working with what I've got.

Maybe I'll put it near the stock antenna, but on the driver's side.

I think that's where I'm going to move mine. A simple bracket to bolt it to the inside of the fender and bring it out the gap between the hood and the fender.

Dump the fiberglass crap and get a steel whip and a spring base.

No can do. I have zero cash and these were given to me. So, I'm working with what I've got.

Maybe I'll put it near the stock antenna, but on the driver's side.

My whip and spring were under $20. But if I had to use a fiberglass, I'd put it in the middle of the bed, right behind the cab. I figure that would provide the most protection against tree branches. Of course, that is what I did with my second one and it still died on its first wheeling trip. Maybe you could just buy a spring for it?

can't speak for pete, but...

i bought my whip at a local hobby shop, they sell trains, nitro cars, planes all that stuff. they had ALL sorts of sizes and mounts and all the goodies for CBs.

and i ran my coax between the dash and the windshield, down the drivers side trim, into the driver floor, (no carpet in my truck) through one of those plugs down to the frame rail then followed gas/brake lines all the way back to the bumper zip tying all the way.

-nick

I got my whip and stuff at a local electronics store. They sell hobby stuff, car stereo stuff, boat stuff, CB and HAM stuff, raw components, etc. Better than Radio shack for the do-it-youselfer. Not a chain though.

As for the wire, I just popped a hole through the back wall and through the bed. On my truck you'd never even notice it. :D It's important to keep the wire away from the truck's power wires and keep the system isolated (don't let it ground anywhere).

Another spot to look is the TRUCK STOP or RAIDO SHACK.

The 102" steel whip will also get you the best reception!!!

I agree with Pete, get a good spring and a steel whip and don't look back!

But WATCH OUT on the trail!!! I have been on runs where they where NOT ALLOWED!!! Can be dangerous to bystanders!!!

CW

But WATCH OUT on the trail!!! I have been on runs where they where NOT ALLOWED!!! Can be dangerous to bystanders!!!

CW

I was going to mention that. I have been to two runs in the last two years where you were not allowed to have an 'unrestrained' 102" whip. Seems like that rule is more common where there are significant amounts of trees.

I use fiberglass either 4' or 2' depending mount with a spring base, I get it all from a truckstop. Never had tree problems thanks to the spring and my nephew hangs on the one on the back of my TJ and lets it go, so it's not weak.

the only issue is that the spring rusts, then again everything rusts here...

CW

I was going to mention that. I have been to two runs in the last two years where you were not allowed to have an 'unrestrained' 102" whip. Seems like that rule is more common where there are significant amounts of trees.

Problem solved! Ok, so that's not exactly secured enough for the trail, but it ain't hard to strap one down. :D