Beginning of 1993 Cheromanche build

What's the idea here Dave, crew-cab Comanche?

If I can make a suggestion, shorten the bed to 4 or 5 foot. The pictures Wil Badger posted of an existing crew cab show the Comanche appears as long as a limo!

I'd also be VERY cautious about taking a chopped truck that long off-road. It looks to me like it would be very easy to get stuck on a hill, or possibly bend/break the frame due to the extra spacing between the front and rear wheels.

Not gonna be any wheeling with that truck when it's done it's going to be my street only DD. Will build a flush mount bed cover for it lower it a little bit to give better road handling. don't want to chop the bed down as then it'd be nothing more than an exploder sport trac or all the other useless trucks with that little 3 foot bed, it's got a 6 foot bed on it in good condition so it's gonna stay the way it is. The wheel base for it will be somewhere around 140" when it's done.

Here's a pic of how she sits right now in my driveway. I've got the drivers side frame rail already welded together and will be getting the pass side done this weekend. Then get to start on welding the rockers, roof, and floor then start cutting and shaping the new rear doors.

• 3 months later...

That's what it looks like now in the driveway. Doesn't look much different from the last pic due to having to travel for work so much. I've got the roof most of the way welded on just need to finish off a few areas. Need to get the rockers aligned and welded together, also need to get the doors welded together to close it in. After that I need to form the patch for the rear floor and get it welded in then I can start work on sealing it up and removing rust inside. Also got the new seats for it delivered this past weekend they came from a 98+ dodge durango, power drivers normal passenger bucket, then rear split bench with fold down console. An idea for others to maybe try out but the rear bench which is the durango middle row mounts flat, and folds forward for access behind seats.

Now the thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is do I want to lower it a couple of inches since it will be street only and absolutely no offroading or do I want to do a spring over and put it on 35's. I'm kind of leaning towards lowering it since I'm planning on buying another MJ when this is done to build into my offroader, what are some opinions of people?

Was also just thinking about something but does anyone know somewhere I can order new pioneer decals that I could run the full length of the truck when it's done? I've searched on here and it seems to be most people talk about the raised letter jeep and comanche emblems but not the stickers on the sides.

so...

why didn't you do the rockers first? cause that's what should have been done first...just so the body is actually square.

The body's perfectly square since i did the frame first. The rockers are like that and have to be aligned because of the natural curve in the vehicles being connected at different points.

Why did you make the rear door so long?

For the simple fact of more leg room so this jeep can actually sit 5 adults comfortably, and it's not that long just looks longer. Door is only 2" longer than the front doors but that gives me almost 10" of additional legroom in the backseat.

i say lift it and make it like a 4x4 mudder!!!! looks bad @$$! u should make a sick paint job like a color that would stick out even more then what it would already

Not sure whether I'm going to lift it and put some 33-35" A/T's on it or if I'm going to lower it a couple of inches and give better road handling as it's going to be street only. As for color I'm not sure what color I'm going to paint it yet as it will have to be something that will go along with the tan interior.

I don't think that any body make's the decals for the pioneer so finding one for the full size of this :dunno: maybe somthing custom that would be cool. I don't think lower it or lift, can't you leave it the same hight?

Brandon

so...

why didn't you do the rockers first? cause that's what should have been done first...just so the body is actually square.

The body's perfectly square since i did the frame first. The rockers are like that and have to be aligned because of the natural curve in the vehicles being connected at different points.

I disagree. if the door frame doesn't line up, there's an issue. that's what should have been lined up from the get-go.

I disagree. if the door frame doesn't line up, there's an issue. that's what should have been lined up from the get-go.

Only problem with that is that the XJ and MJ both get wider as they move back from the front bumper, then about half way back they start to narrow down some. If you look at the rockers of a 4 door xj there's a little lip on the outside edge that shows it getting wider as it goes back.

With a wheelbase that long it should have an extremely comfortable ride.If you lower it think of the horrible breakover angle you would have, being that long and low it could get hung on regular streets where I'm from unless you have airbags to pick it up. I've seen regular Impala's and other big cars scrape on the paved hill near my house.

As for the striping for a pioneer that long I would go to a sign maker. The first time I got my truck painted and all the pioneer stripes were stripped off I had gone to a sign guy who had measured, took pictures etc., he was going to duplicate everything but the guy who painted it put the comanche emblems in the wrong place and I couldn't redo the stripes. I actually like mine w/o the stripes. I had the sign guy go ahead and make the Jeep letters for the tailgate. I think if you can have a sign company come out and take pictures, measure, etc., they might be able to do it for less than an arm and a leg. Good luck and that is an awesome project.