And you got this job, how?

Pete M

Went into one of the local parts stores for a rear brake line from a mid 90s Dakota. I explained that I was looking for a line that was longer than my stock MJ one and the Dakota one should fit the bill. He looks it up but says they don't have one in stock. Then he says that they have a spool of the rubber line and I should be able to make my own. Puzzled, I ask "really?", but before my brain could figure out what he was talking about, he corrects himself and says, "oh wait, that's vacuum line." :nuts:

SOOOO today i go to Advance Auto to get a Dakota flex line, and i tell the guy what i want. then he says "what size?" i said i dunno, then i realize that he was asking about the engine size. i said i dunno, its for another truck, and he says "ok we have them over here, follow me". i follow him to a little box that has spools of.....fuel line. i say "is this brake line?" he says "no, thats over here" ..............so i follow him back to the place where they keep the brake lines, and he says "here we are."...............i say i need "FLEX LINE!" he then goes and gets a spool of HARD line just about then I'm like :hmm: . so he says "I'm sorry we don't have that...that sounds hard to find." what a dumbass.

then i went to the smallest parts store you can imagine in the center of my town, and they knew what i wanted, and actualy had it in stock! i was amazed.

the end

:mad:

The brain surgeons that work at the Advance auto parts, and auto zones only know how to look up parts with engine sizes. You could have told them to pick an engine size and it would not have made a difference. Plus you can get custom brake lines made for like 30 bucks if you know where to go :brows:

Maybe I have good luck. Our small parts house is one genious, two smart guys, a semi-knowledgeable chick, and the dumb guy just delivers parts. The Schuck's guys here are awesome too. The guy that usually helps me seems to know all the Jeep part numbers off his head. They also all know me by name :D .

luckily the local advance guys don't ask me questions anymore. They just get what I want. WHen I asked for the flex line from a mid 90's dakota he asked me what the hardline size was, I confirmed that it was right and he went and got it for me.

they stopped asking questions when I told them that I had a 97 axle with 90 knuckles and 97 rotors and hubs.

You're speaking Autozoneze http://jage.com/?p=39

I have three other stories:

1. I have an F250 and 3 jeeps. I buy all the oil and filters I need at Pep Boys and then change out all the oil at once. I go to take back the used oil and the guy is like "we can only take 10 quarts" or something. he was being hard @$$ about it, even though I had my reciept. they lost my business for a year for that.

2. I was driving to Pep Boys and saw some of their service tech "working" on a car in the parking lot. I stopped to watch as they repeatedly jammed a big flat blade screwdriver between the window and weatherstrip DOWN INTO THE DOOR ITSELF because they'd locked the keys in the car and didn't want to admit that to the owner. I swore I'd never take any vehicle to Pep Boys.

3. The Ford dealership I had my F250 Superduty worked on at last week pulled a "by the way your rear brake pads are shot. Don't take any long trips before fixing them". Everything else looked great they said, they even gave me a sheet. I contemplated doing them myself, just slapping some pads on instead of doing dealership prices.

Unfortunately, I'm trying to sell my house. All the tools are packed up except one small toolbox, the aircompressor is drained and parked, the jack is buried. So I called Pep Boys. I don't know I was in an idiot mood. It's almost akin to calling Rusty's for something, but I figured I'd ask. The guy on the phone says, "Sure, we'll put rear pads on only." And I clarified several times, because I wanted to be sure *all* they would do is the rear pads. I was impressed so I made an appointment for today at 10 am.

I roll in and go up to the service desk. I tell the guy I have an appointment to get rear pads put on, and he says something about inspecting "all four corners" and I'm like, "I just had this at the dealership, only the rear pads are bad" and he insists that they're going to inspect the front too. I explained again why they didn't need to inspect it. He said they had to inspect "all four corners". I said, "Look I don't want you doing anything to the front, I just want the rears done" And he repeats and I say, no, you're not doing anything to the front and he says, we're going to look at "all four corners".

I feel like we're playing "I know you are but what am I"? I can't, as the customer, tell the service guy NOT TO TAKE APART MY FRONT END? I suppose they think I can't tell them not to work on it once they find dire problems with the front end either. What a total a-hole.

I said, "Alright, have a nice day then." And I walked away and took it back to the dealership. And kicked myself. And swore once again not to go to Pep Boys for anything.

I have been trying to get on at Auto Zone / Advance Auto PT so I can get some MJ $$$ :D Never get a call or anything, went in 2 weeks ago to get some brake line for my daughters Olds and the new guy at the counter looked at me and said " I get the manger so I do not screw this up" :eek: he!! just point to where you keep the line and fittings in the back and I will find it :mad:

Charles

And forgot, I had to walk the manager through what I needed :headpop:

this is why i have connections with friends that are mechanics and the fact that i use to work at the jeep dealership so i have plenty of ends i can get just the parts from so i can do it myself. unless i don't feel like doing something then i take it to one of my friends and it gets done for cheap.

Alex