Collecting of AMC's . . . over kill ?

AMC-MJ

I got project AMX and project Manche . . . would it be over kill to complete the pair ? add a javelin to match the AMX and add a J-truck to match the MJ ?

Oh BTW they made AMC powered water crafts Jet boats and cruiser's 1 of each would be sweet as well . . .

6 AMC products and 7 AMC powered projects . . .Yes i said 7 the K2500 is getting a GMC to AMC repower thanks to a Hybrid TH-400 ;) I'm going to need a tow rig that can tow year round jamminz.gif

Mike

My Comanche took the salt bath last winter because the K2500 broke down :fs1:

I'll be doing all i can to prevent it from taking a salt bath this winter :cheers:

Mike

I got a decent sized collection safely parked now ya know ;)

Now tho is 6 AMC's really i'm only adding 4 to what i got jamminz.gif . . . AMX got it Comanche got it so the Javey & J-truck would be the only 2 additions . . . and those could be be used as replacements for currently owned rig's making the AMC powered water craft the only additions too . . .

Mike

Never too many AMCs....even though I don't have one, I'm always on the lookout for a J-truck or old Waggy, or an old Cherokee Chief or anything I guess....

Lately I found this: http://killeen.craigslist.org/pts/1813121710.html

This AMC collector's estate collection is being sold off right now. (Wish I'd got the AMX!) http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_est ... hooper.htm

:fs1: they had a 69' AMX 390 4spd but it sold already I'm guessing that is the one you wanted :hmm: . . .

Fine car's the 68'-70' AMX 390 4spd's . . . especially with the 3.91 or 4.44 gears behind it :thumbsup:

Mike

Yep that's the one! Although don't laugh, I've been reading up on the old Eagle 4x4s. They were technologically ahead of the power curve, beside that I'm starting to think having one would be pretty cool. If I was still in CO I'd get one and start challenging every Subaru I saw.

Chryco got more then the jeep line ya know they got the AMC engineers . . .

The "all new front suspension" that came out in 94' for the Ram trucks ? yea give it a good looking at, its the same front suspension the American Motors Jeep corp introduced in 1984 on the XJ and later used on the MJ, might not have been on the CJ's didn't it see usage on the Wranglers ? . . .

AMC was also the King of using Forged internals in there engines . . .

Mike

Never too many AMCs....even though I don't have one, I'm always on the lookout for a J-truck or old Waggy, or an old Cherokee Chief or anything I guess....

Lately I found this: http://killeen.craigslist.org/pts/1813121710.html

This AMC collector's estate collection is being sold off right now. (Wish I'd got the AMX!) http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_est ... hooper.htm

I absolutely hate the thought of buying up parts of a dead guy's collection. :(

I'm sure he would have rathered see the cars go to someone who will use them,

I can't get past the circumstance of it.

:fs1: they had a 69' AMX 390 4spd but it sold already I'm guessing that is the one you wanted :hmm: . . .

Fine car's the 68'-70' AMX 390 4spd's . . . especially with the 3.91 or 4.44 gears behind it :thumbsup:

Mike

Yeah, but the close ratio trans kills it.

1969, and later T-10's were all V-code close ratio boxes.

V= 2.23, 1.77, 1.35 & 1:1

So 2.23 first x a 3.91 rear = an 8.7:1 first gear. :ack:

To put that in perspective, it's the same as if you had a Jeep's 4:1 first gear, with a 2.18:1 rear end. :ack: :ack:

Putting in 4.44's doesn't even help much,

it's like swapping those 2.18's in your Jeep for 2.47's. :doh:

So the car's don't really jump off the line, even with 4.44's,

then the rest of the gears are so close together,

it's shift-shift-shift, till you are in 4th, and looking for a 5th.

With 3.91's, no overdrive, and 26" tall tires, my 71' is screaming at 3500rpm @ 70, redlined @ 5000rpm @ 100, and turning 6000rpms @ 120.

Bringing it up to 120, then letting off the gas is like slamming on the brakes (there is ALOT of engine braking at 6000rpm's, with a closed throttle).

So, it 3.91's, or 4.44's may sound great with the 4spd,

but I don't think you'll ever hear a 5spd Jeep owner brag about how hard his rig pulls in first with 2.18 gears in his axles.

AMC did use some wide ratio 4spds, in 1968, and earlier,

but even those only had 2.42 (P-code)or 2.64 (T-code) first gears, and are almost impossible to find.

My plan (71' 360/V-code 4spd/3.91 car) is to swap the build 360 for a mild 401, that can pull a taller first gear,

then swap in a 3.15 rear so I can drive on the highway again.

Another option would be to get a Tremec/Jeep bellhousing (from any of the T-176, or T-150 Jeep trans),

and bolt up a wide ratio Ford Top Loader trans.

But those are tougher & more $$ to find these days,

and it kills the originality of the AMC.

They did make wider ratio T-10's (2.88 first was common in some), but it's not an easy swap into the AMC/T-10 case.

The 3.91s n 4.44s were mainly used behind the Crosseam engines which got spin to 7500rpm on a race track.

3.91 @ 7500rpm = 152mph.

4.44 @ 7500rpm = 135mph.

Mike

Cars Trucks SUVs water craft and house hold appliances AMC sure did a lot in 30ish years of production !

Don't forget the military trucks 1.25ton - 5ton units ;-) !

Mike

the only justifiable limitations on vehicular collections are money and space. and I've shown that even a lack of space can't stop a real diehard. :D

Yep... I got one parked across the street at the empty strip mall and another one across town on a public street, just gotta remember to move them every day or two :D

The 3.91s n 4.44s were mainly used behind the Crosseam engines which got spin to 7500rpm on a race track.

3.91 @ 7500rpm = 152mph.

4.44 @ 7500rpm = 135mph.

Mike

Both of the 4spd cars I've had came with 3.91's stock,

& both had sorta low miles, since they're not the best cars on the highway.

& Crossram?

you mean one of these :yes: VVV

I *almost* ran it on my 360,

but looking into a street setup, I heard stories about leaning out the engine, and blowing the tops off of them. :eek:

Yes, when you lift off the gas @ 130mph/6500rpm's, your engine experiences a lean condition. :D

It's traumatizing enough lifting off the throttle @6500rpm's, when you can't upshift first (can you say engine braking?),

but doing it, while worried about the top of the intake blasting through the fiberglass hood is more excitement that I was looking for. :rotfl2:

not for sale tho, I underpaid for the X-ram, with the promise I'd never sell it, and I overpaid for the Ultra-Ram, because I always wanted one. :D

I just saw a '73 or '74??? (squarish double taillights) Javelin AMX on the highway last Sunday in the Walnut Creek CA area in fully restored condition, wish I had a camera with me. Had 401 badges, looked SWEET!!!

3.91 @ 7500rpm = 152mph.

4.44 @ 7500rpm = 135mph.

Mike

Both of the 4spd cars I've had came with 3.91's stock,

& both had sorta low miles, since they're not the best cars on the highway.

& Crossram?

you mean one of these :yes: VVV

Yep that the unit my AMX used to have till it got stolen a few years back :wall: my AMX was 390 Crossram 4spd 4.44 geared unit and NO it wasn't an SS My car was built through the "option19" or "Code19" program and according the SS-Registry guy Mike Weaver my car was built before the SS were pulled from the assembly line to become SS's . . .

I'm looking to get a set of 3.91's to replace the 4.44's :thumbsup: and No sir i don't need your X-Ram ;)

Mike

I saw an old set of 3.91s in a local pawn shop here. The guy said they were NOS that came out of an old auto parts store and had never been used. He was asking 40 bucks for them and said they were for a Dana 60, but I don't think he really knew what they were for. The pinion was the older style course spline version so I didn't get them. If you're interested I can go back by and check for numbers on them.

I saw an old set of 3.91s in a local pawn shop here. The guy said they were NOS that came out of an old auto parts store and had never been used. He was asking 40 bucks for them and said they were for a Dana 60, but I don't think he really knew what they were for. The pinion was the older style course spline version so I didn't get them. If you're interested I can go back by and check for numbers on them.

I would be interested if they were for an AMC-20, I have a 1969 AMX . . . it would be sweet to have the other low gears ;)

Mike