Project AMC-V8 / 5spd / AMC-20 MJ . . .

Very cool thanks for the heads up I will give it a looking at I'm a member there as well . . .

Ad expired 6 29 2010 from the way it read so I'm sure its long gone . . .

Mike

http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1277333191

2bbl. mani. & open model 20

06/23/10 at 22:46:31

For that cheap, it might have gone fast, but it was only posted a week and a half ago.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My truck is a 2WD will Grand Cherokee springs n shocks work on my MJ ?

I like the stance I have now so I'm trying to keep it.

I'm trying to sitt any higher then I am now.

Mike

I put the GC springs bc I wanted the v8 spring rate. I didn't notice any height difference until I put the spacers on to help provide clearance between the axle/steering and oil pan. Ive saw in a coil spring spec book (NAPA) that the ride height of the I6 and the V8 were the same.

You think ill have the same oil to axle/steering issues with the AMC V8 ?

Will the GC V8 spring/shock combo work in my 2WD MJ ?

Yea there will be plenty of pics don't worrie !

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Swap em out already then :yes:

I want to see this run...

PS, I have an old 2.slow that I am going to be using as an air compressor eventually - it will run rough on only 3 cylinders but I don't care! If it doesn't do very well I will turn it into a very strong drill press / lathe type setup using the AX4 I got with it and some semi-redneck ingenuity. What are you gonna do with your old one? I think it would make a good go-kart or coffee table...

there is an upcountry package springs for the grand Cherokee that are v8 spring rate and 1.5" taller, but for the price u can just get reg v8 GC springs and coil spacers.

also the summit brand block hugger headers are a good fit, with only minor sledge hammering to the passenger side frame rail. they come uncoated but for 119.00 they work great for mock up and if painted right should last a few seasons.

there will be plenty of room between the front of the engine and radiator area, so just go far enough back with the engine until the oil pan will clear the axle tube + 2 inches back.

we have slight trouble with the y pipe we made when the driver side wheel tucks, the differential housing contacts the tube. although this isn't a problem since its street driven. just something to watch out for when you make the exhaust.

whats your plans for the cooling system? what side is the w/p inlet on and thermostat on?

:hmm: I don't know, i'm just getting things bought . . .

Y-pipe won't be used on my truck, its getting Duel exhaust as i will be removing the fuel tank its rotten on top anyhow and i'll be running a fuel tank/cell in the bed behind the cab . . .

Why do i have to set it back 2" from the axle tube ? my truck is 2WD no diff to clear . . .

Mike

ahh... okay. I forget your doing 2wd. yeah, should have plenty of room for dual exhaust.

you will see when u set it in the engine bay the first time, the rear of the block will be 1/2 inch off the firewall, and the sump of the oil pan ends up being 2" or so rearward of the axle tube. then just fabricate some mounts and your all set. should fit under the stock hood. depends on carb and spacer.

looking forward to seeing it run!

the projects forum is really more for us asking questions about your truck. your questions should go in the tech forum so that more eyes will see them (increasing the chances of a correct and thorough answer) and also that it will then be in the archives for searching.

but while I'm here, frame stiffeners can be beneficial for XJs because they are overhyped grocery-getters. :D MJs were made for working and come with very strong and rigid frames. :thumbsup: rust is the one thing that MJs have to worry about since that can cause the frame to break in two.

:cheers: Be that as it may i'm 4 pages into this build haven't got much notice :hmm:

Not so sure the my MJ was made for "working" as much as just a commuter, It wasn't happy hauling that engine around for a couple day's . . . I could feel the floor flexing under the strain when driving around any unevenness in the terrain was felt in the floor you foot would get pushed up some times down depending on which way it was flexing, So i ain't sure its a "stout" as she once was but the framing still has paint on it and no soggy soft spots from rot but i think fatigue is present :hmm:

Couldn't be that i was well overloaded, Ya can't over load a Jeep truck ;)

Mike

:hijack:

the projects forum is really more for us asking questions about your truck. your questions should go in the tech forum so that more eyes will see them (increasing the chances of a correct and thorough answer) and also that it will then be in the archives for searching.

but while I'm here, frame stiffeners can be beneficial for XJs because they are overhyped grocery-getters. :D MJs were made for working and come with very strong and rigid frames. :thumbsup: rust is the one thing that MJs have to worry about since that can cause the frame to break in two.

what he means to say is

:yes: :nanner:

:needpics:

lol had to, too much talk and not enough pictures :D

:shake: