Project AMC-V8 / 5spd / AMC-20 MJ . . .

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget for main parts was $900:

$300 engine $300 trans $300 rear end cores for rebuilding.

Spent:

$375 engine over by $75 / $150 rear end under by $150 / trans not found.

So 150-75 = $75 you going to find an M-20 for $75 ! ? ! ?

So for $375 I need to find an AX-15 2WD, and a Rear end that fits . . . Not likely to happen given the 60" M-20s run $250-$350 before shipping and used/core AX-15s are $300-$500 ! ! !

Good thing I wasn't to the disassembling stage yet, Would of been shame to of had to scrap the truck too.

So now I have a set of rocker panels an engine and a rear axle I now have no use for

Shame I was excited too, Remember AMC had the AMX/3 ready for production and walked away too.

Mike

I don't care what YOU pay . . . I ME MYSELF ect keeps getting quoted 300-500 for a 2WD AX-15 5spd ! ! !

Boy for group of "just put a 4.0 in it" Guy's your really being stubborn about me NOT quitting this build ! ! !

Why ? ? ? Who cares ? ? So I wasted 2years, $525, an engine and a axle.

Mike

I tell you what. You need to keep looking. Find your MJ Model 20 and get it to your place. Once you do that, let me know.

For the last two years I have been sitting on a 2wd AX-15 from a '91 MJ. I bought it from Geonovast while he was still living over in Marshall. I bought it so that I could convert my '90 MJ over from an Auto to a Manual. I've been collecting other parts for the conversion as well, but I can use them in other scenarios or I can still use them when I actually get around to converting the MJ a few years down the road.

The thing is that the truck I want to convert is currently our second DD, my fiance is still learning how to drive manuals and she needs to use the truck on occasion. My '88 is a manual so whenever I get the urge I can just drive it.

You do your part and track down the rear axle and then I'll do my part and sell you the trans for what I paid for it, $100 with the rear SWB driveshaft included. The trans is no cherry, it needs to be gone through, but it ran fine and I can verify that everything worked before we pulled it, I drove it.

I'd be happy to have one less thing to stumble around when we move west of Madison this fall (we're looking at Cross Plains, Black Earth, Mazomanie area), and I'd be happy to see it go to good use.

Fair 'nuff?

Also, take that temper of yours and kick it out the back door. No one needs to be angry over something like this. :thumbsup:

Yea, keep at it! I just started a 327 project in my manche 4x2 (thread called project streetjeep). Got engine so far and don't know its shape. Ran when taken out of a truck 20 years ago. Free was good, though! Now comes saving money for mounts, radiator, transmission, headers, exhaust, probably a cowl hood, and buying as I go and collecting. Oh, yea, the final budget thing is the big one - MISC.!!!

I know I will be no where near ready to start tearing for at least 2 years and I will be almost 65 then and this makes me say "why am I doing this???", but I am gonna try!

So, don't give up!

You will have a kewl one; an older amc engine, a one of a kind!

Hey, race ya when done! :nuts:

:headpop: The MJ-20 isn't easy to come by nor cheap :fs1: I know spent plenty of time looking, Those who have them won't sell them :( Yes "car part" bla bla they don't picture the axle nor provide any info that is correct on a true MJ-20 so after seeing how easy it can be mistaken for a CJ-20 I will NOT deal with the folks of car part dot com ;)

I'm in the process of moving to Sauk, $150 for a CJ-20 axle $66 in fuel, and we smoked the van's radiator which now pukes through 1.5 gallons a day in . . . New RAD $125 were's the money for it ? ? ? wasted on the wrong Axle ! ! !

As good as the deal sounds I'm passing on it :ack: just going to keep driving it and quit trying to building it . . .

Mike

:bowdown: Thanks for the offer jamminz.gif The rear axle is the hard part and its just not happening so I have to walk off :cheers:

Its my daily driver, So it shall stay on beater/junker/driver duty.

Mike

:bowdown: Thanks for the offer jamminz.gif The rear axle is the hard part and its just not happening so I have to walk off :cheers:

Its my daily driver, So it shall stay on beater/junker/driver duty.

Mike

That is the risk. We have plans, but they fall through

Truck has lived 23yrs n 198K miles as a 2.5 / 4spd / D35-3.73s I guess this is how it shall remain good truck, So it'll continued to be maintained and driven as have the last 2.5yrs.

Mike

Mike:

If you intended to still use your swapped in AMC V8 for I daily driver, thought I would throw this in off of Novak's website since with my sbc daily driver swap I am going to keep my current rear axle:

The Various Myths vs.

Actual Observations of

Powertrain Swaps into Jeeps

1. "My axles are not strong enough for a V6 / V8."

Not usually true. Your Jeep axles may not be strong enough for your seriously oversized tires, or a totally untrained throttle foot, but the engine itself with good driving on most terrain will not require axle changes.

What are you saying ? :eek: ?

Well I already asked about keeping the D35 just swapping out the 3.73s for 4.10s and being done with it. I swear I had gotten prolly 2 PMs from every member advising against keeping the D35 and then advising NOT to invest in a re-gear of said D35.

So apparently 215-235hp / 240-260tq is to much for a D35.

Mike

mike, you're dragging this out and embarassing yourself.

you keep asking dumb questions, and you change your mind more than I do.

you're looking for the rarest axle out of an mj, and bailing on the project just because you can't find it. woop-dee-doo.

get a dana 44 with the gears you want, and do your swap, and stop being wishy-washy. this was a good idea on the first page...followed by 11 pages of nonsensical crap.

no offense, but this is getting old.

What are you saying ? :eek: ?

Well I already asked about keeping the D35 just swapping out the 3.73s for 4.10s and being done with it. I swear I had gotten prolly 2 PMs from every member advising against keeping the D35 and then advising NOT to invest in a re-gear of said D35.

So apparently 215-235hp / 240-260tq is to much for a D35.

Mike

I've seen several V8 grand cherokees converted to D35s,I know one guy who wheels his with 35" tires.

A D44 would be better but I see no reason why a d35 won't hold a small v8 in a street application,really your not talking about much more power then a 4.0L HO which came hooked to a D35

you're looking for the rarest axle out of an mj, and bailing on the project just because you can't find it. woop-dee-doo.

get a dana 44 with the gears you want, and do your swap, and stop being wishy-washy. this was a good idea on the first page...followed by 11 pages of nonsensical crap.

Now yep only a hand full of MJ-20s out there, other 20s interchange ya know . . . Don't like it don't read it seem fairly simple, I've into plenty of threads I didn't care for so I simply quit reading them ;)

As for embarrassing myself NOT likely, I'm a loser I'm over it I drive a 20+Yr old dented rusty POS obsolete rigs I'm always a stones throw from homeless . . . Work 70hrs a week all summer long and about 40hrs a month all winter long . . . I'm immune to embarrassment

Grin n bear it or unsub and get over it

Mike

Now yep only a hand full of MJ-20s out there, other 20s interchange ya know . . . Don't like it don't read it seem fairly simple, I've into plenty of threads I didn't care for so I simply quit reading them ;)

Grin n bear it or unsub and get over it

Mike

or you can stop being a retard.

"oh, i can't get the fill plug out...@#$% it, it can just run until it dies".

seriously man. get a game plan, follow through on it, and have yourself a nice truck. otherwise, you'd do well to bail on the hobby, you'll drive yourself nuts.

Good you should be happy then, I have stuck to plan I haven't touched the AX-4 since I said I wouldn't 2nd 3rd n Reverse growl n howl and now 1st is starting to howl :cheers:

I haven't made any attempt to do a thing about it, Haven't fixed the rough high idle, also have ignored the busted off shocks, and it still has no rear brakes ;)

See I'm staying to the plan, I said "I'll fix nothing till the repower" :thumbsup:

Mike