The last of the 2 doors...

knever3

I know i'm not getting any younger, but...

I was just working on my '00 2 door Grand Prix GTP yesterday and I have forgotten how sexy a 2 door is.

I haven't driven it for about 8 months so I was excited to get it back on the road. I am working on the stereo and pulled the carpet to shampoo it.

Anyway back on topic; there are very few cars and/or Jeeps that are 2 doors anymore. They killed the Grand Prix in 2002. They killed the Cherokee 2 door, and I think the Explorer 2 door is gone, not that I really missed that one much. The GTO or Australian cavalier is gone as is the Lumina and Monte or how about the Blazer. I have many more to add to this list but you know most of them.

I know they aren't as practical, but there isn't one car that is better as a four door than a 2 door.(Looks) Remember the old Imprezza 2 door WRX? That was sweet, now we have to settle for a crappy looking 4 door sedan to impress the crowd, unless of course you choose the stupid looking hatch.

So what is the big problem producing 2 door cars or trucks in lower numbers? If they wouldn't try to make 10 new cars and trucks in 12 months maybe this could be more proffitable. Plus try keeping the same car platform more then 3 years, maybe the parts would be cheaper to buy used or aftermarket. Of the cars mentioned on the list, no one is an expensive car so car makers would rather make more expensive 4 door cars with more profit at the expense of the customer, YOU!

Imagine this: The 2 door Jeep Wrangler discontinued because lack luster sales. Soon we all will be driving classic cars.

i agree...

by the way, check with a gm dealer if that GTP has any recalls, my boss' GTP caught on fire a couple weeks ago due to problem with a recall in the fuel injector area.

I have had post cards sent for the recalls for about 2 years, I only drive it about 1500 miles a year but I will make a visit to the dealer before something like this happens. Thanks for the heads up. :wavey:

I HATE 2 door vehicles with a passion, at least when there's an option for a 4 door.

Also, I HATE, 4 door vehicles with a passion, at least when there's an option for a wagon.

Don't get me wrong, a sports car I want a 2-door, manual, convertible.

For something that I need as a daily driver usable car, give me a 4 door JK, or a station wagon subaru.

But for me utility is more important "sportyness." Station wagons are sexy. Course I was never the type to worry about dressing up, or wearing cologne. For me form over function.

Hey Sam, someone else finally likes station wagons as much as I do. Tried to find a V8 Hornet Sportabout wagon for a long time. Settled for a 4dr sedan instead. I would love to own a SRT8 Magnum. That is a sexy wagon.

Hey Sam, someone else finally likes station wagons as much as I do. Tried to find a V8 Hornet Sportabout wagon for a long time. Settled for a 4dr sedan instead. I would love to own a SRT8 Magnum. That is a sexy wagon.

I know where there is an all original V8 Hornet Wagon Sportabout. Clean, no rust, garage kept. 304 Auto.

Rob L. :brows:

I know where there is an all original V8 Hornet Wagon Sportabout. Clean, no rust, garage kept. 304 Auto.

Well, I don't see it in your sig so I guess it isn't in your garage.

Yea, me too in a love of wagons!

My first real car was a 57 chevy 2 door wagon (not nomad). When the 327 I put in it was getting up in hp I started having wheel alignment problems, and found out it had been wrecked and the frame straightened. Bought a 55 chevy 2 door wagon and moved the drive train into it, and got it up to 525 flywheel hp.

Got married and sold it.

Later on we owned two wagons I wish I still had. 63 1/2 Falcon wagon when they started putting the 260 in them, and later my mother-in-laws 64 Chevy II wagon with 283 and 3-on-the-tree. Both of these were 4 door. Sold both out of need for funds for the family.

In 94 we bought another "station wagon" now called SUV, our Cherokee.

Traded it in after 267,000 miles a few months ago and now have another "wagon", the Patriot.

Still a "wagon" fan!!!! But now they are Jeeps!

Later on we owned two wagons I wish I still had. 63 1/2 Falcon wagon when they started putting the 260 in them,

I had a 63 1/2 falcon wagon till my son got a hold of it

and this is all that was left when he was done

:cheers:

Very nice one... brought back memories to my childhood.. just needed the fake wood and the black vinyl seats.

Later on we owned two wagons I wish I still had. 63 1/2 Falcon wagon when they started putting the 260 in them,

They were truly a class act. 5 hole 13 inch wheels made it easy to put on 14 inch with 70 series tires. Windshield sloped back a bit more than earlier Falcons. 260 with Fords 2 speed auto was a drawback, but switching to the 3 speed c-4 was a breeze. I was building a 289 with 4 barrel regular fuel pistons, the hydraulic version of the 289 hi-pro cam, a dual plane hi-rise topped with the autolite 4 barrel, and headers to go in it. C-4 with a shift kit was going in behind it. But bucks for the family was necessary, so it and engine was sold. :grrrr:

The impreza 22B, still one car i would love to own :drool:

That's exactly what i'm talking about. 2 doors are awesome, the only wagon I am remotely interested is an Audi RS-4 or 6 Avant wagon. Only because they have 580hp. I would pull the engine out of the wagon and put in a 2 door sports car.

They were truly a class act. 5 hole 13 inch wheels made it easy to put on 14 inch with 70 series tires. Windshield sloped back a bit more than earlier Falcons. 260 with Fords 2 speed auto was a drawback, but switching to the 3 speed c-4 was a breeze. I was building a 289 with 4 barrel regular fuel pistons, the hydraulic version of the 289 hi-pro cam, a dual plane hi-rise topped with the autolite 4 barrel, and headers to go in it. C-4 with a shift kit was going in behind it. But bucks for the family was necessary, so it and engine was sold. :grrrr:

The one i had i bought for parts,it had been hit in the rear and someone already took the 260 and the trans. really sucked because it was a very solid car.

It did give me alot of parts for my 63 2dr futura.