New 2.5 MJ project...Now a 4.0 H.O. project

How did you like Telico? We had a place in Telico Planes up to about 1 yr ago, but never made it up the trail. Came close on day but it was late and we were alone so we did not go :cry: Also I had the big GMC 2500 6.5 and did not know how it would do ;)

Charles

are you talking about tellico, NC? or a different one... just askin.

tellico is AMAZING... really good wheeling there. i still need to go in my truck while its stock, theres no way to learn to wheel your truck better than when its stock.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tellico plains is what Tellico ORV originated from thats why he said up THE trail cause there is only 1 or 2 that are in TN but on the NC side there are lot......And i loved it :D :bowdown: . I didnt go down the rock garden or up slickrock(thought I lost my T-case) but alot of the others I did till I busted a Tire. I got pics of the trip but i need to scan them in one of them has my pass side about 1.5' off the ground. :eek: And BTW I HAD the 4 speed but my Highschool days ended its life so I put in a AX-5 all that had to change was the bellhousing and the transfer case. I was ??anticipateing?? going super low gears so I wanted the overdrive.

Cole

I loved my 4 speed but the overdrive will be nice when I get the gears I want (mid 5.??) but if your mostly doing street and not to low of gears go ahead and do the 4. WHat tires and how is it going to be used also what gears I couldnt check your beginning post so I am not sure if you said. I have 4.10s and 35" tires and I can run 65 but can't maintain that in 5th gear if i hit the slightest incline so it mostly stays in fourth. BUT make sure you arent going to need overdrive in the future if you have any big plans. If you do go ahead and get the AX-5 or whatever your getting.

Cole

Most of his driving will be road (80-90%) tires not sure yet. To save some work on the rust holes on the front, we are going to trim the front fender's 8) so if $$$ will alow I may see if we can get what ever will fit. If not, we will mount P265/75/R15.

Charles

Well I pulled the cover off the rear axle and the only thing I could find on the ring was the following numbers. 03 15 89 and 254 on the pinion the only thing I could see was 254.

I do know that it's a stock axle not any type of locker. So looks like I will see if I can find something in a locker.

Charles

Well I pulled the cover off the rear axle and the only thing I could find on the ring was the following numbers. 03 15 89 and 254 on the pinion the only thing I could see was 254.

I do know that it's a stock axle not any type of locker. So looks like I will see if I can find something in a locker.

Charles

Keep spinning the ring gear around, and you'll see a set of two numbers all by themselves. That'll be the tooth count. You might have to wipe off the gear face to find them, but they're there.

4.10's are the deepest gears you'll find stock, unless you come across the rare 87-89 XJ/MJ with 2.5 and AW4, which came with 4.56. Curious, what tranny is in yours now? If it's an AW4, then that rear axle *should* be 4.56.

Jeff

You're probably right, but I didn't think the AX4 was offered after '87. CET, is your tranny auto or manual? If it's manual, does it have the factory shift knob on it (with a 4 spd pattern), or something else? Could be that it's a 5 spd...just noone ever tried to put it in 5th and didn't know it was there (don't laugh, I've seen it happen before.....)

I'd say if you have an auto (AW4), then you've got 4.56's. If it's an AX4 (manual 4 spd) then you have either 3.55 or 3.73 because of no OD, and if it's an AX5 (5 spd manual) you probably have 4.10's.

Jeff

I really never chime in on the smaller lift questions cause that is not where I have the most experience, but if you want to do a cheapish 2-3" lift I would reccommend using coils up front or poly spacers. Making your own spacers just has trouble written all over it, especially when poly ones can be had for around 35 bucks :brows: For the rear I would use a full size chevy 2" drop shackle. This should give around 2" of lift and since a Mj has a slight rake from the factory, it should be close to level. A new adjustable trac bar can be had for around 100, granted this isn't the beefiest unit out there, but it is better then stock and gives you room for adjustment.

Jeff,

It has a manual 4 spd. Looks like a factory shift knob on it with a 4 spd pattern. I will take a photo of the trans tonight and post if that would help.

pingpong

We are going to change the springs and drop in some poly spacers as the front bumper we are going to put on has a lot more # then the old stock one.

Thanks,

Charles

Don't worry about the pic. Now that I think about it some more, I do remember seeing an 89 in the junkyard once with a 4 speed...guess they used them longer than I thought. FWIW, an AX5 is the same gearbox as the AX4, it just has the extra 5th gear (OD) You can swap one in straight up. Both cases have a 21 spline flush output.

Pat, where are you finding $100 adjustabel TB's????? I need me one of those.... :D

Jeff

I did the ax-4 to 5 swap so if you go that route let me know if you have questions. Also I might have an AX-4 housing and gut minus the input or outputshaft i can't remember which I broke in mine. I also have pics I can scan in and post if you want of the swap..... ;) :cheers:

Cole