Cash for clunker repercussions???

Wildman

So.......I'm over at the shop this afternoon, and the repo man pulls in his shop with what looks like a 9 month commander on the hook........

:hmm: how long ago was that cash-4-clunker thing :hmm:

Last time I talked to him, he's really busy now, and talking about renting another building over in the compound that my shops at.........slow times = busy times for the repo man :doh:

With all my Jeeps........I don't have any coupon books with any of them :D

I've also heard that the used car business is drying up with a lack of trade-ins available :(

so....do you think its possible.......that giving primarily lower income customers, that are driving vehicles worth a $200 to maybe $2,000 a nice big shiny incentive to sign up for a $400/month payment wasn't such a good idea???

i mean, were they actually driving those vehicles because for the most part, they couldn't afford a new vehicle? so, more debt isn't a good thing?

very very few people that "took advantage" of cash 4 clunkers, needed a new car, or were in a good position to buy one. just like this energy efficient household appliance credit we had. all the sudden people flocked to the appliance store to buy a new washer and dryer :shake: so, they had been saving up because their appliances were getting old right? or all the sudden they heard on the radio they get a tax deduction, and go apply for a best buy card :nuts:

oh, and the only info i saw on energy effecient savings was like a few hundred bux over the life of the appliance, whatever that means. so run out and buy a new one, and save money......like $75 a year, which i wonder if anyone is paying more interest than that to best buy right now?? :dunno:

Ding - Ding - Ding!!!

You hit it spot on Dave :yes:

Yes, I know some people like that, and now there in the dog house.........and this was even before they got that 1099 from the dealer on the $4500 credit they got, and had to pay taxes on that "bonus" too :headpop:

We all talked about it back then, and now the reality is hitting home :eek:

The government is great at making things sound good. Then other people/companies/entities jump on the bandwagon.

The first year of the energy saving tax deduction I spent $300+ on insulation, $150 on an energy star door and some other stuff. Total was like $650. I needed the stuff anyway, but because of everyone reminding me of the tax credit with every purchase I kept all y receipts.

It saved me $17 in income tax that year...

the first thing i thought of was when i saw this thread was how many jeeps i saw at the jys during CFC and how few XJs and almost no MJ's i've seen in the junkyards since CFC ended. Tougher to find good parts at a decent price the last few months.

:bowdown: Thanks Pete for cleaning this up :yes:

The above reply's are more to do with what "statement" I was passing along.

Boilermaker reply is something many of us spoke of back when the C4C was going on, at the time, there were tons of XJ's in our P-n-P yard, for the allotted time they were allow to keep them up, I'm sure that time has passed. Yes, parts are going to be far and few, and hard to find and pay for in the future :(

My biggest problem with cash for clunkers is that a lot of decent, drivable vehicles were destroyed forever in exchange for new (overpriced?) vehicles.

Those "clunkers" could have been donated by the government or dealer to charities such as http://www.carshelpingpeople.org/

Instead, the vehicles were reduced to useless scrap.

By the way, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowa ... ate_System the EPA stated the1993 Jeep Comanche Pickup 2WD was ineligible for this program? :huh???:

Verified this against the source at http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 68495610/1

Way to go EPA. :thumbsup:

the boneyards around me are also charging a fortune for parts now! i saw what i presumed to be an 87 MJ (shortbed, GM motor, early style badging, vent windows, ect.) in literally mint condition. not a speck of rust on the thing. it was an XLS modle with a checkered flag right below the XLS emblem. I'm not sure what all came as factory options (if the race flag had anything to do with it) on it but it has a chrome front clip, bucket seats, auto tranny, 4wd, shortbed, and a chrome rear factory bumper. besides alittled faded paint and these god aweful homemade aluminum siding running boards, it looks like it was pulled right out of a showroom and place in a junker lot. i wanted the bed off it and the guy said $700 is the lowest he will go. i said no along with "you rather loose $400 that i was willing to pay for just the bed, and get a whopping $200 for the whole truck in scap value?" he looked at me with a sinister smirk and said "yep" and turned around and walked away. i was determined to never go to that jumkyard again, but i broke down and tomorrow I'm going to go buy the factory AMC mudflaps off it...

Josh

the boneyards around me are also charging a fortune for parts now! i saw what i presumed to be an 87 MJ (shortbed, GM motor, early style badging, vent windows, ect.) in literally mint condition. not a speck of rust on the thing. it was an XLS modle with a checkered flag right below the XLS emblem. I'm not sure what all came as factory options (if the race flag had anything to do with it) on it but it has a chrome front clip, bucket seats, auto tranny, 4wd, shortbed, and a chrome rear factory bumper. besides alittled faded paint and these god aweful homemade aluminum siding running boards, it looks like it was pulled right out of a showroom and place in a junker lot. i wanted the bed off it and the guy said $700 is the lowest he will go. i said no along with "you rather loose $400 that i was willing to pay for just the bed, and get a whopping $200 for the whole truck in scap value?" he looked at me with a sinister smirk and said "yep" and turned around and walked away. i was determined to never go to that jumkyard again, but i broke down and tomorrow I'm going to go buy the factory AMC mudflaps off it...

Josh

In the simplest terms.... He won.

It's too bad that the money for this program couldn't have been used elsewhere to better benefit. All it did was remove a lot of useable vehicles from the roads so that overinflated factories could sell off the stock they had.

In other words, a bailout for the companies, not the consumers.