Preferred Oil for our "older" engines???

VR1 oil does not have the ZDDP levels needed, at least the stuff we sell is SM rated, syn power is also SM

Per Valvoline:

1.Valvoline VR1: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.

2.Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic offering this additive.

Granted this is from a manufacturer's mouth. Worth investigating.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly, but unless I see an SL on the label I'm not buying it, I'm not sure how they could have ZDDP levels higher than SM and call it that... What I did find was mobil one high mileage was SL :banana:

I researched all the oil threads last night and went to wally world... found the only one really listed as SL was Mobil 1 High milage... I bought a bottle of 10/40 and plan on changing the oil today. It also has the ACEA A3 rating which was supposed to be the best for us as well. Though I wasnt planning on switching the 'ol girl over to synth though.... Ill just have to see what happens if the leaks get any worse or not. Changed it last time with Castrol GTX high milage dino which hasnt given me any problems. Good info here!

So let me clear this up, if "SL" is in the rating even if "SM" is also itll be alright to run?

...but you could take it a step further and look for the ACEA A3 or A1/A5 rating. Silly Europeans testing their oils further than us.

:banana:

Around $14 @ Advance :smart:

So much are you spending per quart on your current oil??

Because that stuff works out to $2.33 per quart of oil. Take you current oil, and add that amount to the cost. Because I can almost guarantee I could find an oil carrying enough Zinc and Phosphorous with having to add any additive that may or may not do what you need it to.

Switch to mobile one high mileage, itll be cheaper, its synthetic, and its SL... As said previously in this thread, I personally do not believe in additives

Or Mobil 1 Diesel. It is synthetic, SL and has a larger volume of zinc/Phosphorus.

I currently buy 2 gallons of Vavoline Premium Blue diesel oil.....runs about $25, but It also saves me 2qts for the next change. I just figured id see if this would be an investment to add some of that additive every other change or so...

I can't remember if it was you or someone else who asked if I knew the additive levels of this oil, but I found a 5000 mile used oil analysis on the Premium Blue.

Molybdenum 40

Calcium 1153

Phosphorous 1022

Zinc 1276

All of these are expressed in parts per million... Moly, Zinc and Phosphorous are the anti-wear additives were are concerned with. Calcium is a cleaning agent. Now these numbers are from a Ram truck, so they are a little skewed compared to our engines. But this oil looks really good at 5k miles. Don't waste the $14 a bottle for an additive you don't know exactly what is in it.