DANA 60 ?

Okay, I found this old 85 Wagoneer at a junk yard close to me. I suspect it has a dana 60 axle set and I think I want to gank it. I just need a little help verifying that it is a 60. The diff case was a complete, perfect circle and had the appearance of half a sphere. The wheels are six lugg and the junk yard wants 53 bucks per axle! I deffinitly think I'm gonna go for it but I just want to know for sure if that is a dana 60, if it will be too wide, or if anyone has any other information that would be usefull before I buy them.

I wouldnt be worried about a ford axle as far as company goes IIRC they had the danas in some stuff to. Also they are good quality and a plenty plus strong. I would consider this option iif i were you no matter if your a chevy, chrysler, jeep, dodge, or FORD hater or lover. I know how those things are but all of the big 3 have had there creations and cars and trucks that shouldve been scrapped off the show room floor. Just my 2 Pennys in the jug

Cole

I'm trying to stay narrow, thats why I want it out of a jeep. I'm not gonna cry though if its a little wider. tire size I'm not sure about, I would like to rum somewhere from 33-35. I suppose my only real beef with the ford stuff is that they are heavy and fullsize. I like the sound of the 44 because it seems strong but not to beefy.

yeah, :cry: AMC 20= no good, womp womp womp... well what did the 60's come on? The J-trucks? I guess I'm just gonna comtinue my search for a 44 from a jeep cuz I don't really want a Ford axle.

Front ford axles are the ones to get the older ones are High pinion (don't remember which years). jeep, chevy and dodge never used HP fronts

You should grab those axles they are plenty strong enuff for up to 36" tires and a little hard wheeling 85 waggys have dana 44 frt and 20 rear as mentioned earlier in thread the rear is a one pc wide aray of gears available and the 20 is as strong as a 9" ford rear damnear bullit proof. or a 82 and newer J-20 will have a 44 frt and 60 rear these would be better if going over 35" tires as the rear is alittle bulky. Your other option is look for a 90 model waggy 44s frt and rear. buy the way lots of these axles going in MJs and XJs one last axle combo find High Pinion 44 frt and 9" rear out of a late 76-77 bronco these years have discs up frt check out jeepinwv.com, goto Pictures, fullsize xj project they are going to be running 39" iroks with this combo. Sean...

I'd definitly consider a 20.

The R&P is freakin huge, the shafts are D44 sized. The only thing I can see becoming an issue is the tubes, but a truss would fix that, and it's not that big of a deal under a light pickup truck rear end. Only if you're running massive meats.

In short, I'd build and run the piss out of an AMC20.

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

According to that link above, my options are pretty wide. I could get pretty much any of those axles, most of em are there, and the junkyard only wants like 50 bucks an axle so money really isnt an issue. There are plenty of ford 8.8's and 9's, and then there is the amc20 with the d44 front. I was under the impression that the 20 was crap but I suppose its only really the two piece axle shafts. You guys mentioned the FSJ 20's had one pieces? is there any way I can tell? And is it still worth it if it has two pieces. Does anybody make one pieces for it, and how expensive are they? or is there a swap I could do. (link me up, I don't know where to start)

Also your saying I would need spacers, is the AMC 20 not as wide as my 35? I would think that its wider, or was that just mentioned for my lug pattern? If I don't need the spacers I may just grab some 6 lugg wheels.

All FSJ AMC-20s will have 1-piece shafts. Only the CJ got screwed with the 2-parters. If you're keeping you front axle, go find yourself a 95-01 Explorer 8.8 rear axle. Stronger than a Dana 44 and has disk brakes.

Ive never seen one of those with disk brakes yet. I just don't really like that axle its just too heavy-weight, I know its stronger, Just don't like the bulky look of it. It seems like its big and hangs low. I like the 20 just because of the rarity, and coolness of it I guess. But I'm looking for as easy a swap as I can get. such as a dana 44 but I'm goin to look at another junk yard right now so I'll report back tonight.

Tom

That size is where the 8.8 gets it's strength. The tubes are friggin' HUGE! :D Plus it'll handle 36" tires no problemo. But the diff itself doesn't hang any lower than the Dana 44. I just went out and measured and got 10.5" from top to bottom of my 8.8 and 44.