What I had in the works.

Automan2164

Well, it came up in a thread awhile ago about someone looking for an FSJ, and I said thanks, but I had "Something in the works". While on the search for a tow rig, I found this little guy in our classifieds, as well as on CL...

Hi I have a 87 jeep comanchee long bed 1 metric ton pickup. 4.0 leader 102000 miles on engine. body is shot, 23.5 gal gas tank leaks, brakes have a broken line. Well sell best offer for parts. Ron

He wanted $600 on CL, so I just kept on him, emailed him everyday for a week, until he finally called. After talking for a bit, I realized something. He had had a cap on CL last spring, off of a "1 Metric Ton" Comanche. I called and asked about the truck, but at the time since he had used it for plowing, wanted $12,000 (Yes, twelve-thousand) and I said thanks, but no thanks. Now a year later, the truck blew out a brake line and the tank started to leak. Faced with the repair bill, he decided to sell it, and move the plow on to his Cherokee. The truck has a new radiator, water pump, heater hoses, back slider, catalytic converter, muffler, and tailpipe. The air filter was marked as a year old, and it has absolutely NO OIL on it! 8) The engine is still nice and tight, not even a hint of blow by. :yes: The trans fluid smelled good, and generally, mechanically in immaculate shape. Overall, the drive home was awesome. Straight, rode nice, and cruised like a dream. I had no problem giving the full price. Its an '87, 4.0L, AW4, 231, D30/D44. 101,000 Miles. It has some questionable body work, but the he even included a pint of professionally matched and mixed Jeep blue paint. The guy who owned it is a definite Jeep fan, and is the original owner of an 1984 Cherokee Chief.

This solved my MJ quandary, as I want to build a wheeler, but needed something that could use the factory MJ plow I have in the winter. Something tells me that a truck with a 6.5" lift and long arms wouldn't be a good plow. I have also been looking for a tow vehicle for pulling around XJ/MJ projects. And with this being a Metric Ton, it has the ground to be capable of that. Little brake upgrades, electronic brake controller and some trans cooling add-ons should put it on par for the course. Here are the pics:

And now for the Business end of my new tow rig: :clapping:

The baby blue interior will have to go, as well as the threaded rod antenna. :shake: The truck will get a good going through, as well as a new brake line, and assessment of the tank. But the tank isn't a problem, as I have half of an '87 Metric Ton Comanche in the garage, complete with good LWB gas tank! :brows: Overall, I am very pleased with the latest acquisition, and am proud to welcome it to the family! :yes:

Rob L.

Almost forgot... Any of you cool dudes that work at the Jeep dealer... Could you run the VIN for me, and get an equipment list? Also, any of you other cool dudes with autocheck/carfax want to run it for giggles?

1JTMR65F3HT168828

Thanks fellas. :cheers:

Rob L. :D

The only way that could have gone better would have been "free" and found out it was the last 92 to roll out of the factory.

Congratulations!

Nah, thats a whole other horrid story... For the story on the '92, go here... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19547

This thread is the one I started for my metric ton. The '92 under the cover is no more good than an organ donor.

Rob L.

Sorry, Chrysler don't have much info on the 87 models, you might be able to look up the codes somwhere else.

23583 - LOU'S JEEP-EAGLE INC Sales Type: 1 - DIRECT RETAIL

City: GENEVA State/Province: IL

Year/Model: 1987 DESC NOT FOUND

Last Odometer: 0 Miles on

Body Style: MJJL62

In-Service Date:

Engine: ERB-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

In-Service Odometer: 0 Miles

Transmission: DGQ-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Odometer Type: Miles

Color 1: PXF-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Car Line: XX

Color 2: QXF-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Build Date: May 20, 1987

Current Market Register: Hour: 24

*X8 DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE -

Q8 DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

AHL DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

APA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

CAC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

CGW DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

CKA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

CLE DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

CUF DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

DGQ DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

DMR DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

ERB DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

GAC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

GEC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

GFD DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

GSC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

HCC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

JHA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

JJA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

LMA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

MBJ DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

MDA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

NAA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

NFA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

NHM DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

PXF DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

QXF DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

SBA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

TBB DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

WJD DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

XEA DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Z1B DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Special Equipment

Code Description Code Description Code Description

No Special Equipment Available

Dealer Installed Equipment

Code Description Code Description Code Description

No Dealer Installed Equipment Available

I was too lazy to go under it and find the tags today, but while paging through the owners manual, I found that for some odd reason, someone had written down the front axle code. After going through my archive, I found that it is referring to an '87 D30 (MJ), disconnect, with 3.55 gears. I am going to assume that's what it has. Be a little odd for someone to write down a ten digit number and it be that precise without actually finding it on the truck. Just wish they had written down the rear so I could see if it had a darned trac-loc. :D

Rob L.

I would assume that with the AW-4 it would have 3.55 gearing, but with it being a MT and a D44 what gears does it have??

Nice score jamminz.gif

MT trucks tended to come with the same gearing as the truck would have otherwise.

Nice snag Rob!

Stick with the Renix, it will treat you well if you give it a chance!

This thing runs way too well for me to start messing with it. I love how smooth this thing runs... It's not broke, so I have no plans on fixing it. :D

Rob L.