Want it Done Right - Do it Yourself ~ Painting

I am fed up with automotive painters. I finally convinced my frugal brain that I should really have my truck painted professionally. I have been talking with the painter for a while. He kept pushing the date ahead because of the weather and such. We had agreed on a price and it was going to be done this month. I went to see him yesterday and he can’t believe that he agreed to do it for the quoted price :fs1: . There is not way he would be able to do it for that price ($1,500). “Good gosh man, I would be close to that in just materials!” I say to heck with all of them, I am going to learn how to paint and do it myself. I have ordered an instructional DVD from this guy -> http://www.easypaintyourcar.com/, and I am going to give it a shot on my own. I am going to practice by painting my CJ7 first. This way I can have something to drive while the MJ is down and to gain some experience before tackling the truck.

For those of you who have done painting yourself, do you have any tips/advice on painting your own vehicles? Any suggestions on tools that are a must have?

Thanks - Rich

If you know of any guys that paint vehicles I would go that route. I have painted a few vehicles, but experience does help out quite a bit. A case of beer and a some ppg paint and I let him paint my last car. He was an older muscle car guy, and had been doing this type of stuff all his life. Painting your CJ first will help work the kinks out of your paint system. Oh yeah and don't paint when it is raining outside/high humidity, and don't run any type of diesel/kerosene forced air type of heater while painting. It is more rewarding doing it yourself, so good luck.

In the painting I have done, I hove found that (like others have said) experience goes a long way towards a good job. There are a number of different things you must do, preferably in order: Decide what type of paint you will use (after examining the pros and cons of each type), deciding where you will paint the vehicle (which will also play into determining the type of paint you choose), getting the right equipment (a hvlp gravity feed gun is best, and will require at the MINIMUM a compressor with 9-14 CFM for proper application, a breathing system or mask to keep you alive), and proper preperation using hand sanding and sanding blocks.

Most of this stuff you seem to already know, so I won't labor on the specifics (if you want you can PM me and I'll try to answer the specifics you might have). I can buy the PPG Deltron two stage (base coat/clear coat) paint and a good epoxy primer/sealer for about $700.00 (enough to paint a full size XJ or MJ) so the guy you talked to is either blowing smoke or there is a lot of body work to be done on your truck.

Good luck!

ok first off, don't skip out on anything. take ZERO shortcuts, and take the time to prep it yourself

then, like stated, id go with PPG brand paints. they make awesome BC/CC paints, as well as a relatively cheap single stage system

but, as far as application goes, get some spare chunks of sheetmetal (biggger ones) and practice on those before even touching the CJ. lay them at various angles to get a feel for the overlap/application.

I've been professionally painting for a few years now and his quote is about normal, but if you have any questions, feel freee to shoot me a PM. More than happy to help :smart:

Oh yeah and don't paint when it is raining outside/high humidity, and don't run any type of diesel/kerosene forced air type of heater while painting.

That is good to know, because the humidity is a problem here in Florida. I don't think I will have to worry about needing the forced heat :D . Thank you.

in order: Decide what type of paint you will use, deciding where you will paint the vehicle, getting the right equipment, a breathing system or mask, and proper preperation using hand sanding and sanding blocks

Zero experience - but I am going to give it a try. Not a lot of body work to be done on the truck, so it is not that. Great starting advice and I appreciate the input :cheers:

That's the same quote I got for my 92. I have body work but only the bed and its half done. I'm interested in seeing how this goes...good luck!

I hope I don't let you down :ack:

i painted mine myself, with rattlecans....

Wow. I can't tell from the picture :thumbsup:

ok first off, don't skip out on anything. take ZERO shortcuts, and take the time to prep it yourself. id go with PPG brand paints. get some spare chunks of sheetmetal (biggger ones) and practice on those before even touching the CJ. lay them at various angles to get a feel for the overlap/application.

I've been professionally painting for a few years now and his quote is about normal, but if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. More than happy to help :smart:

Great! I plan on taking my time. I will probably hit a few of you up for some help as I go. I was willing to pay him 1500, but trying to work another $$$ out of me at the end is wrong. Any impressions on the ProSpray brand paints?

I've done a couple myself, only in the older style of 'enamel' like single stage paint. I actually used rustoleum paint and thinned it out, sprayed with an HVLP gun. I did it in my dusty dirty garage, and I was happy with the results for around $200! Wasnt showroom professional, but it was always on older cars so it fit the bill. I prepped forever, took time to mask everything and make sure it was free of dirt and everything else. I sanded in between coats to smooth it out, and sanded final coat with up to around 2000 grit. here's a pic of one I did, this was before clear coating (which I never got around to doing) it was sanded and waxed. Not exactly a JEEP, but still...

Image Not Found

I'm not saying this way is your best option, but simply that its definately possible to get a good finish DIY.

You guys inspire me - looks darn good Backroads :banana: . I am going to watch the video and do my home work before giving this a try. But with several jeeps to paint, I should be able to get a nice finish by the 3rd :yes:

I've done a couple myself, only in the older style of 'enamel' like single stage paint. I actually used rustoleum paint and thinned it out, sprayed with an HVLP gun. I did it in my dusty dirty garage, and I was happy with the results for around $200! Wasnt showroom professional, but it was always on older cars so it fit the bill. I prepped forever, took time to mask everything and make sure it was free of dirt and everything else. I sanded in between coats to smooth it out, and sanded final coat with up to around 2000 grit. here's a pic of one I did, this was before clear coating (which I never got around to doing) it was sanded and waxed. Not exactly a JEEP, but still...

Image Not Found

I'm not saying this way is your best option, but simply that its definately possible to get a good finish DIY.

nice DA where are your from ive seen that around before

here's some of my work

1997 EK4 350whp turbo hatch

on gold volks

1998 EK4 daily driver

1995 EG6 b18c coupe

VW gulf winter beater/rally car

i was huge on the JDM scene before i got into jeeps thousands of dollars spent on small accessories and engine builds and the paint was the deal breaker for my cars i build there unique but so plain and simple they caught alot of attention. clean,good looking, very fast

Read thru this topic -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16750&hilit=painting

Mr. philbert001 toss's out alot of info for you ;)

And also for tips and to answer some questions.........check out this web site -

http://www.autobodystore.com/home.shtml

There is nothing wrong with learning how to paint your own truck, at worst, it comes out so-so and you live with it, or so bad, that you need to re-paint it, but.......spent the time to learn some tips, do one panel or door first, and get a feel for spraying, and it could turn out to be a perfect paint job your first time :D

Yea, most auto painters are Neanderthals and think there too good to do work for you, and radder sit home and search for the bottom of a bottle, kind of the same class I put elevator installers in :roll:

here's some of my work

i was huge on the JDM scene before i got into jeeps thousands of dollars spent on small accessories and engine builds and the paint was the deal breaker for my cars i build there unique but so plain and simple they caught alot of attention. clean,good looking, very fast

Nice I was much the same and actually a week before taking ownership of my MJ, I finally sold what will turn out to be my last honda for a good long time. I hear ya on the money pit, my last one was an SOHC vitara build cos it was somewhat cheaper to do haha!

I actually sold the DA to a guy out your way, I think he was closer to pittsburg but definately western PA, so its very possible youve seen that car around.

I went for a quote about a month ago and the guy told me itd b around 1,000 :nuts: Ill do it myself with some spraypaint :brows: Ive been fooling around with rattlecans for a couple years and I'm pretty confident in myself to do a more then decent job.

make sure you tape everything! use the tape to cover objects and whatever paper u use for overspray :thumbsup: I'm testing out the paint ill be using on smaller things like mirrors,sidekskirts and bumpers

26848_385602042958_643942958_4913628_948981_n.jpgStill working on it, its been too cold to finish :(

25641_371433177958_643942958_4875818_5126246_n.jpg

don't forget to have fun when you do it jamminz.gif

I don't paint professionally but have been painting my own stuff for years.... As stated don't skimp on the prep work. Doesnt matter how good of job you do spraying the paint if you don't prep the surface correctly.....Single stage paints will be a bit cheaper but I prefer to spray base coat clear coat myself....You can also feel free to pm me with any questions along the way..........here's a quick shot of my last paintjob......Hoping to spray the mj this summer........

My advice is similar to what others have said...First, however, decide how long you plan to keep your MJ and how your are going to use (or abuse) it. I bought my MJ back in early 2000, drove it for nearly 2 years before beginning my resto/ rebuild. Mine is not going to be a daily driver -- more likely a Sunday driver once done. Figure out your long term plans for your truck FIRST.

I went to night school to get paint & body certified. It's worth it if you really want to do your truck top notch. Practice plenty on scrap doors and fenders. Get to know your gun & paint. And by all means rent a booth to spray in. Good luck and take your time. Your MJ is worth it.

here's some of my work

Nice I was much the same and actually a week before taking ownership of my MJ, I finally sold what will turn out to be my last honda for a good long time. I hear ya on the money pit, my last one was an SOHC vitara build cos it was somewhat cheaper to do haha!

I actually sold the DA to a guy out your way, I think he was closer to pittsburg but definately western PA, so its very possible youve seen that car around.

the engie i biult for the brow car was a

y8

vitara pistons

eagle rods

cometic gaskets

hann racecraft 20g

chr0me standalone

rc 440 injecots

3" turboback exhaust

obx sheet metal intake manifold

350whp

300 ft lbs of torque

tuned @ 20psi daily driver in the summer

tuned by dennis howell @ hybrid dynamics

fastest 1/4 mile run 12.2@110mph

funniest quarter mile run 15.4 @ 104 mph spun 1-4th then it grabbed and shot like a rocket.