I just made myself jealous of myself (updated with pics)

I was sad, i was distraught, i had to sell my 1986 Jeep Comanche XLS 4x4 with only 100k miles, in really good condition (after i fixed the rusty floors or course hehe).

It drove anywhere, nothing could stop it. Except i got orders to Japan. So i sold "Rusty" over craigslist. Twas' a sad day.

(there he is in the back)

Then my orders to Japan got cancelled. So i was without a cool truck, or a cool place to live.

Then i got orders to this beautiful state of washington. I immedeately started searching for a Comanche but was having no luck, much to my frustration everyone was asking 3-4K for beat up old modified trucks. sigh.

Today, i saw an advertisement for a 1986 Jeep Comanche XLS 4x4 with only 57K original miles. So i drove two hours away to check it out.

I'm Back! This thing is MINT, original floor mats, original tape player, no tears on the seats, and absolutely no, no rust (ok i lied, i found a very small spot on the back of the rear window. even still has the intact underbody coating.

I looked in the owners manual where the original owner registered in 1986, in the exact same town i bought it from. This thing has lived in the same town for 24 years.

I am so stoked. Gave it a little winter wash, here's the pics.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Untouched, optioned out gem for the win!

Very nice. :cheers:

What are your plans with it?

I'd hate to hack up something so nice,

but I'd be thinking about a 3.4L (making it look like it was still the factory installed 2.8L), and an 86' AMC M20 rear (if it doesn't have one already).

Tho 4.10's + 160HP w/o overdrive would have me thinking about an AW/4 swap......

Better just leave it stock. :yes:

image_209027.gif

Yeah I'm really stuck on what to do, the only mods to my last manche' were cosmetic and restoring (fixing floors, bedliner, oem fog lights, snow tires, stereo)

my wife doesnt even want me to change the stereo because of its clean retro look so i may fabricate a stealth cd player, i like my expensive subwoofer lol.

i am considering the 3.4 but ive never done anything like an engine swap before, i have to admit while i wheeled the heck out of my last jeep, the most i ever had to repair was the water pump, unfortunately it was indestructible so it hampered my fixin' knowledge jamminz.gif

Ya know I'm not a fan of colored interiors but that is awesome!!!!

A similar interior was in a friends' dad's Bronco 2 and I really liked that one.

A beautiful truck for sure. Sure a swap would be great for power but run it till you need to, not just because of all the hype. Those people that complain about the crappy 2.8 have 200k on theirs.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

i looked at the spare tire earlier, it still has the knobbys on it, and behind the drivers seat the jack and assembly are still in place and intact. i was detailing the inside of the engine bay today and i found the original build sheet crumpled up in the vacuum lines next to the fan. all faded though.

Holy cow that thing is clean!

I do have one question, though. The picture of the gauges. I see an engine running at about 1300 RPM and 0psi oil pressure. Initial start up, broken oil pressure sender/gauge, or a 2.8L just showing it's true colors :rotf:

Holy cow that thing is clean!

I do have one question, though. The picture of the gauges. I see an engine running at about 1300 RPM and 0psi oil pressure. Initial start up, broken oil pressure sender/gauge, or a 2.8L just showing it's true colors :rotf:

Probably just where the gauges rest to after it's been turned off...

Rob L.

Actually its wierd, when those pcis were taken it was turned off and at 0 by default...

but... the guage seems a bit wobbly and sometimes when i come to a stop light it dips back into the 0 range, truck runs fine otherwise but it has be a bit worried if there is in fact no oil pressure.

definetely needs a tuneup though, i would venture to say that it has the original sparks.

very nice, like most people I'm not a fan of the 2.8, but this is a huge exception, that thing is super clean, I wouldnt change it at all, on the contrary Id probably wouldnt drive it much just to keep it low mileaged and original