Want to do a speech on Comanches

Lenard

For my speech class at college i have to write a Informative speech that is due in 3 weeks.

And like the title says i was thinking about doing it about the Comanche.

Rules, 1) 6-8min ( should not be a problem, there is a lot of info on the comanche :D )

2) i have to have 3 sources (i don't know if i can use this site as one of them or not, gota ask teacher)

So if i may i would like to ask your guy's help,

any website with info on the Mj that anybody knows of would be helpful if you could post it, and/or just any little peice of info that you would think would go good with a informative speech.

I know i can get enough info about the mj from CC to do a 30 minute speech, but... like i said not sure i can use this site for a source.

don't worry i will be some doing research on my own, just thought some of you guys would like a chance to put some input into this speech about these great trucks :D

Thanks in advance

thanks guys that will help a bunch :thumbsup:

What is the theme of the speech? history of the truck?

the theme.... sure the history of the MJ. :D

Special stuff about them that sets them apart from other mid-size trucks

I'm going to say something about how they quit making them cause the dakota was more popular :fs1:

I'm going to say something about how they quit making them cause the dakota was more popular :fs1:

I've heard two versions of this:

The first, like you said is that Chrysler killed it after the takeover because they already had the Dakota and didn't want another competitor. The second (and I think this is the one that Allpar mentions) is that AMC was about to pull the plug even before the buy out, because the Comanche was losing money for them. The XJ was their best-seller and practically only money-maker. Not only was the MJ slightly more to build, it was made on the same production line, so making more MJ's meant less XJ's.

I'm sure, like everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle - but either way it's a shame. IMO, the MJ is the last great compact truck this country ever produced.

Special stuff about them that sets them apart from other mid-size trucks

Like that they were the only small truck in history to have a fuel injected 6 cylinder engine and a solid front axle? That they had more available weight carrying capability than most modern half-ton fullsize trucks? That an MJ once set the land speed record for its class? that they dominated the SCCA truck races? :dunno:

To me, the history of the MJ should include it's relationship to the XJ, and the fact that the XJ started the SUV craze that we still see today.

Also, you can go the "Heritage" section of the Jeep website: http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/heritage/

Here, they trace the lineage of the MJ all the way back to the original WWII Jeeps.

Good luck with your project.

The only mid size/comapct pickup to be built as a unibody constuction..... Wait a minute... me being a VW nut would have to argue with myself and say that the VW Microbus pickup was first going back to the mid 50's... they too were rated in the 3/4 ton range. and then there was the Rabbit pickup but it was a true compact and based on a car... ala El Camino. How about the only american made pickup built on a unibody platform? Maybe look up crash test rating for the time compared to the ranger and S-10 and Dakota?

:agree: With runner6

A mention of the XJ along the lines with the MJ, The Cherokee is a much more know model, and to compare the similarities would be a true fact.

Good luck on your paper/speech, and lets us see a copy when your done :D

A mention of the XJ along the lines with the MJ, The Cherokee is a much more know model, and to compare the similarities would be a true fact.

I would've completely agreed with you... until today.

I had to register the 99 XJ with the DMV today. Lady behind the counter had some stupid questions.... and this whole conversation happened while she was holding the title.

Her: What make and model is it?

Me: 99 Jeep Cherokee

Her: How many cylinder...wait, it's here. Six. Is that a regular six or a super six?

Me: It's not a performance motor..

Her: Oh, ok. And you said it was a 99? So it's not a Commander or a Compass then?

Me: No.

A few seconds pass

Her: Is it a Wrangler?

You would think, that someone who worked with the DMV, would have known the difference. And, you'd think, somewhere in that computer, it would be known that in 99, neither the Commander or Compass existed. :nuts:

I would've completely agreed with you... until today.

I had to register the 99 XJ with the DMV today. Lady behind the counter had some stupid questions.... and this whole conversation happened while she was holding the title.

Her: What make and model is it?

Me: 99 Jeep Cherokee

Her: How many cylinder...wait, it's here. Six. Is that a regular six or a super six?

Me: It's not a performance motor..

Her: Oh, ok. And you said it was a 99? So it's not a Commander or a Compass then?

A few seconds pass

Her: Is it a Wrangler?

You would think, that someone who worked with the DMV, would have known the difference. And, you'd think, somewhere in that computer, it would be known that in 99, neither the Commander or Compass existed. :nuts:

So, which sister did you get at the counter.......Patty or Selma?????

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ ... mv/5m0zw93

The only mid size/comapct pickup to be built as a unibody constuction..... Wait a minute... me being a VW nut would have to argue with myself and say that the VW Microbus pickup was first going back to the mid 50's... they too were rated in the 3/4 ton range. and then there was the Rabbit pickup but it was a true compact and based on a car... ala El Camino. How about the only american made pickup built on a unibody platform? Maybe look up crash test rating for the time compared to the ranger and S-10 and Dakota?

I would have to add my beloved Dodge Rampage to your collection of uni-body pick ups. They were made from 82-84. Plymouth even had some play in 83 and called them Scamp.

This was my 84

1559.jpg

and a 83 Plymouth Scamp

Scamp_01.JPG

That would be incorrect.

They were discontinued because they were TOO popular, and Dodge didn't want another truck in-house that was in direct competition against the Dakota. So the Comanche got the ax.

So how old WAS this DMV clerk? The last "Super Six" I know of was the Hudson in-line 6 that predated the engine series culminating in the famous Hornets. The last Super Six Hudson was the 1947 model year.