Parts list for SOA Lift... Suggestions??? Better Prices???

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered the rough country long arm kit upgrade and all the parts on your list minus the soa parts(u bolts perches and plates) shipped to my door for 1180.00$

Did you get the Rough Country kit or did you get just the longarms from rough country and the RE coils and shocks that I want?

No it's all rough country parts. But as you stated earlier you had rolled this info around for a while. I also went back and forth between Rc and re parts. Just made my mind up to go with Rc because the long arm kit is fully adjustable to what ever lift/tire combo I decide to run. Since the re kit doesn't come with shocks that put the price in an unjustified position for me and they don't include adjustable control arms. So with the money I saved I can upgrade my steering from motion offroad and order a winch all for about the same cost as the re 5.5 kit with shocks. For me it was a way of stretching my dollars.

I know everyone has an opinion. I have researched for at least two months everyday reading and searching for what I thought was the answer, and from what I have found is that it's six in one and a half dozen the other. I wish you luck because if you think about it as much as I have then you will need the migrain medicine.

No it's all rough country parts. But as you stated earlier you had rolled this info around for a while. I also went back and forth between Rc and re parts. Just made my mind up to go with Rc because the long arm kit is fully adjustable to what ever lift/tire combo I decide to run. Since the re kit doesn't come with shocks that put the price in an unjustified position for me and they don't include adjustable control arms. So with the money I saved I can upgrade my steering from motion offroad and order a winch all for about the same cost as the re 5.5 kit with shocks. For me it was a way of stretching my dollars.

I know everyone has an opinion. I have researched for at least two months everyday reading and searching for what I thought was the answer, and from what I have found is that it's six in one and a half dozen the other. I wish you luck because if you think about it as much as I have then you will need the migrain medicine.

I have thought about it that much also, just not as long... I'm a stay at home dad this winter with my 6mo old... I have all day to try and decide what I am going to do, and then another day passes and I change my mind, and then I look for another day and decide something different... I just want a good ride... I think what I need to do is call a few companies and see if I can edit a few parts and splice in what I want... Like a custom MJ happy meal... Please let me know how you like your lift...

RRO anything sucks. Glenn is a crook and he will screw you over. Their braces fit like crap.

There is a member here who tried them. He fought the braces to get them installed. They still do not fit right. Their TBs are garbage. I used one and it fail a week after I got it. No replacement. I installed it wrong? How do you install a TB wrong. I was stuck with a junk TB and missing $150.

I will never buy anything from RRO ever again and hope I can keep one person from giving Glenn Wakefeild and more money for his crappy parts.

If you were going to build a lift this is what I would do,

RC drop brackets

RC adj uca and lca

RC TB and bracket

Rockkrawler coils

RC 9000 series shocks

Mopar spring perches

Dakota rear brake line

Chevy front brake lines

Rough Country has come a loooooog way in the last few years. Their parts are top notch and have been holding up really well to some serious abuse.

Why would I want to cut off the factory brace just to use the RE Drops... I'll just get the RRO drops for $215 way cheaper and stronger than RE...

Stronger? How do you figure?

I feel it is stronger due to the one piece drop bracket... It is solid and doesn't come in two pieces like RE's drops... RE's use the bracket that goes into the unibody mount and then another piece that ties the upper arm to the bracket... RRO drop bracket comes one piece and includes braces... All for $205 on a xj and $215 on a mj... RE wants $269 for just the bracket and then another $100 for the brace... I have seen and held both drops in my own hands.. The RRO drops are beefier and cheaper...

Just because it says RE doens't mean it is always better... They do have some nice handling stuff, I know from experience.. But what I don't understand is how people can think evertyhing they make is better just because it is RE... They don't even make most of their own stuff... It is outsourced to foriegn countries... So they can make it cheaper and charge more... I'm not going to just buy everything I need from RE...

RRO anything sucks. Glenn is a crook and he will screw you over. Their braces fit like crap.

There is a member here who tried them. He fought the braces to get them installed. They still do not fit right. Their TBs are garbage. I used one and it fail a week after I got it. No replacement. I installed it wrong? How do you install a TB wrong. I was stuck with a junk TB and missing $150.

I have read some bad things about RRO too... But I have nothing but good things to say about the things I ordered from them... It was shipped fast, cheaper than I was quoted over the phone, and I had it in 2 days... I got no personal complaints about Rocky Road Outfitters, in fact I suggest thier drop brackets all the time... As for they man who couldn't get the braces on, maybe the unibody was a little tweaked... or maybe he didn't tighten them up correctly.. It took some thinking on my part to get everything pulled tight with the brackets on my xj... I had to put it all together loosely and then tighten everything evenly... They fit perfect and work great...

I am now thinking of ordering some RC stuff... But just like you have heard bad things about RRO I have heard bad things about RC... I have seen pictures of their new track bar in someone's hand and the bar itself is as skinny as the man's finger... I wish I could drive a 6.5" RC long arm kit and compare that to the ride of my RE lifted XJ...

Just pisses me off that I can buy two MJ's for the cost of lift and tires for one of them... Look at the steel and moving parts that each MJ has, not to mention running engine, transmission, transfercases, etc etc... and a simple lift cost more... seems crazy to me...

I dislike that design and the thin 16 guage OEM support piece that it bolts to. The RE would be stronger the way it mounts if you would remove that piece.

But if being cheap is your way.....

Just pisses me off that I can buy two MJ's for the cost of lift and tires for one of them... Look at the steel and moving parts that each MJ has, not to mention running engine, transmission, transfercases, etc etc... and a simple lift cost more... seems crazy to me...

Sounds like incentive to learn how to fabricate stuff yourself.

I agree with you that is is expensive to lift but I do understand that companies must exist and this stuff has to cost some $$$ to design and fabricate and insure :/

I made MOST of my own stuff and got eveything else either used or hand me downs. I have less than 3K in my rig and I sport 37 MTRs, Dana 44/60, Klune, and tons of armor. I have been building for a while so I have learned what works, what doesn't and how to make it happen on the budget. :wave:

I dislike that design and the thin 16 guage OEM support piece that it bolts to. The RE would be stronger the way it mounts if you would remove that piece.

But if being cheap is your way.....

How do you feel I'm being cheap... I made a decision based on holding and looking at both drops... The RRO brackets are cheaper and beefier... That's called a better deal... The RE brackets are probably made in India and more expensive the RRO are made in USA and cheaper... Seems like an easy choice to me...

The brace on the RRO dops engages the unibody on the mj as well as the 16 gauge oem support piece...

here is the pic again

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/comanch ... _drop2.JPG

look closely at the passenger side... see how it hooks up to the unibody rail too... Also if you are so worried about how weak the 16 guage oem support piece is why would you want to use the RE drops that rely on that weak piece to support them, or you can cut the support piece off and spend way more money to use the RE drop brackets and braces... That is just plain stupid... :shake: :doh:

I got a bridge for sale in California if you are interested, it's made by RE.... It is a little bit more expensive but way better trust me....

I am leaning toward the RC long arm 6.5 for the front... Anyone have any experience with RC springs and the new 2.2 shocks... Also, will the belly pan for the xj work with MJ and do you I have to cut off the lower factory mounts???

Hubbell has me rethinking my whole plan... Thanks for putting me through this torture again bud :cheers: ...

one more question... can you visibly tell the difference between metric ton springs and regular springs??? Like is there an extra leaf or a different wrap on the eyes???

I want to know because my 86 (that is the donor of the d30 and amc20 with 4.10s) has a silver metal amc build sticker in the glove box that has the info stamped into it... On this sticker everything is correct like the engine, trans, transfercase, but it is listed as the d35 with 3.55 gears (I think, not looking at it now)...

Now I know both axles i have are 4.10 geared because I turned the pinon 4 and what I guessed would be a tenth and my mark on the rotor was top center again on the d30... plus it has the plate on the diff cover stamped 4.10...

So since I have an AMC 20 in it with the lower gearing on an automatic that leads me to think the springs would be the heavier duty models... but the tag in the dash makes me think someone switched in axles later, or the dash was switched, or it was an upgrade at the dealer???? :dunno:

Here is another question I'm directing mainly to Hubbell if he see it.. or anyone else who knows

Does the RC 6.5" long arm kit for the xj work on the mj?.... I have heard two different answers today... Also, RC won't sell the XJ lift without the springs and shackles... They won't sell the 6.5 mj lift without the short-arms either...

look closely at the passenger side... see how it hooks up to the unibody rail too... Also if you are so worried about how weak the 16 guage oem support piece is why would you want to use the RE drops that rely on that weak piece to support them, or you can cut the support piece off and spend way more money to use the RE drop brackets and braces... That is just plain stupid... :shake: :doh:

You cleary have never cut up a unibody chassis. At the OEM LCA bracket, there is three layers of 16 guage. Not one and they are tied in very well (and stacked in two levels at the lowest point). The RE support bracket ties into all this sheet metal unlike the RCO which ties into it at the end only. The single support bracket you claim to be all so mighty is only held on by a few 1" stitch welds.

The idea of using 1/4" to bolt to 16 guage with self tappers is brilliant. You wouldn't happened to be an unemployed engineer would you? :shake:

I got a bridge for sale in California if you are interested, it's made by RE.... It is a little bit more expensive but way better trust me....

Unlike yourself, I don't have to buy bolt on suspension systems and worry about brands or their faulty cheap designs. I use my resources to fabricate things myself to a far higher standard.

You cleary have never cut up a unibody chassis. At the OEM LCA bracket, there is three layers of 16 guage. Not one and they are tied in very well (and stacked in two levels at the lowest point). The RE support bracket ties into all this sheet metal unlike the RCO which ties into it at the end only. The single support bracket you claim to be all so mighty is only held on by a few 1" stitch welds.

The idea of using 1/4" to bolt to 16 guage with self tappers is brilliant. You wouldn't happened to be an unemployed engineer would you? :shake:

Unlike yourself, I don't have to buy bolt on suspension systems and worry about brands or their faulty cheap designs. I use my resources to fabricate things myself to a far higher standard.

Dude.... Your are missing my point :wall: .... I could buy the RRO control arm drops for the xj at the price of $205 and then cut the factory brace off the control arm mount and have the same thing as the RE brackets and braces... made in the usa for $196 less..... That's it... That's my point... I know the RRO dropbrackets and braces are a strong and a good buy...

But since you are on such a higher standard I don't expect you to understand what a simple person like me is trying to convey.... Us poor ignorant bastards that choose to buy bolt on suspension components will just continue this converstion without you...

You just want to argue... So please take it somewhere else... You're not going to change my mind...

why would anyone buy an RE DB when the RC ones are nearly identical,come with the brace,and are almost $100 cheaper?

Far from "identical"....

The RE braces mount under the tranny crossmember on the XJ, the RC braces do not go nearly as far back.

Also the RE DB's move the location of the LCA further back, the RC one's do not.

good to know. i noticed the brace but you can't tell the measurements from the pics and they don't tell you that info on the web sites.

from the pics the LCA mounting looks identical,both are adjustable and look to be in the same place,have you had both side by side to compare?

why would anyone buy an RE DB when the RC ones are nearly identical,come with the brace,and are almost $100 cheaper?

Far from "identical"....

The RE braces mount under the tranny crossmember on the XJ, the RC braces do not go nearly as far back.

Also the RE DB's move the location of the LCA further back, the RC one's do not.

I agree... the RC braces are shorter... both RE's and RRO's braces go to the crossmember... but RE doesn' have a brace that works for the MJ