Parts list for SOA Lift... Suggestions??? Better Prices???

Ok I got my little girl to sleep so I'm heading out to the garage with the baby monitor....

I still have some questions, so I'll put them here in one post

1. Will the Rough Country longarm belly pan work on the MJ??

Called RC and spoke with Ryan... Told him what I was planning and he didn't say it wouldn't... Then had a vendor call to see about better price... He told me RC said it wouldn't fit :dunno:

2. Is there a way I can tell if my 86 has the Metric Ton springs? (like is there an extra leaf, etc.)

Never mind, Thanks Pete..

3. Do the antiwrap perches work by themselves? I know Pete said he uses an extra main leaf, but I don't have access to a set of springs, and ordering one from HellCreek would cost more than the $40 perches...

Now that I have the axles out of the 86 I need to find a way to get it out of my garage :doh: the only trailer I have access to is a triple axle deck over... too big

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overload leaf on an MJ is huge and very beefy. I just can't understand how a longer perch will work better than that leaf. :dunno: But I haven't seen any hard evidence either way. My experience is that it's the upper 2 leaves that twist and bend like a sonuvagun.

why would anyone buy an RE DB when the RC ones are nearly identical,come with the brace,and are almost $100 cheaper?

Far from "identical"....

The RE braces mount under the tranny crossmember on the XJ, the RC braces do not go nearly as far back.

Also the RE DB's move the location of the LCA further back, the RC one's do not.

I agree... the RC braces are shorter... both RE's and RRO's braces go to the crossmember... but RE doesn' have a brace that works for the MJ

by the time you add the brace to the RE bracket your about $200 more then the RC bracket,you could add the missing length to the brace for a few bucks.

you could buy the RC DBs and have a fab shop build an MJ specific brace and still be cheaper then the RE brackets but i think the best option would be to just get the RRO DBs and be done.

I have yet to have any problems with RRO or their products

Yes the perches will work by themselves,I have the RRO ones on my stock leaf packs

Sorry for making a headache for you. I know exactly what your going through.

So to try and answer some of your questions? Will the Rc long arm fit an mj? I have not seen anyone on this club post a build thread on installing one but I have in person seen one.

I have a 92 xj that I spent lots of time under measuring and remeasuring any differences between it and the mj, everything measures exactly the same. To fit the Rc kit you will have to trim the lower control arm mounts out of the way. When this is done the frame will look like the xj's frame. As far as the new crossmember goes it should mount up exactly like the xj's would.

I know this is all talk but I did the same request a few weeks ago for anyone who has actually installed one on an mj.... And the response was the instructions with the kit was probably the best I would get. Not the answer I was hoping for.

When I ordered the parts from Rc I pieced my kit together like you mentioned earlier. I will be installing this set-up next Saturday so I will be able to give you a heads up on any snags that come up. There is one more person on here that is installing or just finished the long arm upgrade kit I will try to find his info and maybe we can both ask him.

Thanks Hubbell, I'll check out that thread... What shocks did you go with? I was also thinking about the Iron Rock Offroad 3 link... But their crossmember is pretty small, and only bolts to the bottom of the uni frame rail... Also, I'm a little scared of the just having one upper arm... A plus is you don't have to mess with raising the transmission if it sits too low as the IRO 3 link has adjustable height built into the crossmember... Still leaning toward RC though... The reason I'm leaning towards the long arm is that for just around $100 dollars more I can ditch the idea of short arms and drop brackets... I know they work and ride well, but I've never had long arms...

And I only have the 3 leaves and the overload, so no metric ton springs here...

to most people there are short arms and long arms and thats it, in reality there are different setup and types of either and thay all have different advantages and disadvantages.

if you go long arm make sure you do the research and get one that works for you and the terrain your gonna drive on.

IMO i would take DBs over a RC Y-link but thats just me. really for me i wouldnt want a LA that wasnt 4 link,but then thats just my preference.

Well, I mainly plan on driving the truck to work (less than 10miles), and everytime I go messin around in the mountains... My XJ is gonna get parked in the garage.... I like to drive all sorts of trails and really hate to have to turn around (unless there is a closed gate).... I don't ever plan on selling it... On highway handling is important to me, and so is safety... maximum articulation ranks lower on my list than great ride on the backroads... My xj will be the family ride so I plan on leaving it alone it is just in too good of shape to trash when i'm out screwin around........

Based on this what do you fella's think would be the best style for me...

I would do DBs unless you can afford 4link LAs w/trac bar.both are great on and off road and at high speeds

3 link and triangulated 4 link are good for crawling at low speeds but i wouldnt want either on the road.

radius arms/Y-link are OK for on road/offroad but not the best for either,these are the most common mostly becasue they are easy to build

keep in mind these are just my opinions

3 link and triangulated 4 link are good for crawling at low speeds but i wouldnt want either on the road.

As you are entitled to your opinion but at this moment I have 2 street legal rigs here at the house on 37s and three links. They get driven at 80-85 quite nicely and neither have any sway bars (not intentionally). They handle both incredible on the road as well as off the road and they are built with 'mid arms' with approx 23" lowers. And no, there is absolutely no DW.

As far as your statement goes about the three link being good for low speeds, then how do you answer that 60% of all the King of the Hammers race rigs were racing with three links (front AND rear)? For many of those rigs with 40s they max out at 62.5 MPH but Cambells rig got up to 112 mph on a three link and that is off road. Although you may not choose to run it, three link has been long accepted as stable for high speed even in the toughest terrain.

A three link is an incredible option when built properly. It does require good fabrication and welding skills to have it hold up.

A 4 link even with a sway bar is a little 'rolly' but a three link with panhard will give you optimum flex with very high stability on the road.

Here is an example of the three link axle work I did for the front of the MJ:

IMG_2428+_Small_.JPG

Here is an example of the rear three link I fabbed up for the buggy. When going three link (front or rear) make sure your design is built solid with the larger 2 5/8" joints.

DSC04626+_Medium_+_2_.JPG

DSC04628+_Medium_+_2_.JPG

And this is the rig that is (arguably) credited for having the first three link in the 4x4 world:

IMG_3973.JPG

Go figure it is a Cherokee.

Thanks for the info mnkyboy... That kinda helps me out... I think I'm gonna go with the radius y-link... I already have the DB's on my XJ and I'm gonna leave them on there forever... It has a nice stable ride that handles insterstate speeds really well.... But since the MJ is gonna my toy truck I like the idea of the LA's... I'll look into the the 4 link but I'm sure cost will quickly bring me back to the radius y....

Now I'm looking into shocks... the 2.2 RC shocks that come with the LA are too short I have heard... A couple other people who installed the kit stated the shocks were the same length as the 4.5 inch kit. causing them to fully extend and become limiting straps.... Prolly won't last too long like that...

Now I'm looking into shocks... the 2.2 RC shocks that come with the LA are too short I have heard... A couple other people who installed the kit stated the shocks were the same length as the 4.5 inch kit. causing them to fully extend and become limiting straps.... Prolly won't last too long like that...

Have you considered installing your lift then measuring for what shocks you might need? :shake:

Yes cracker I know how to measure for shocks.... Did I ask how to find the length of shock I needed???? NO I DIDN"T.... All I did was say that I was "LOOKING INTO SHOCKS".... Why am I looking at shocks???? Well as stated the one's that come with the kit are too short....

What the hell does that have to do with finding the length I need??????....

Move on cracker I don't need your advice or comments....

Move on cracker I don't need your advice or comments....

:rotf:

Why because you start a thread and ask advice but when you get it you don't like it and you say you won't change your mind? :rotf:

Why you even start a thread if you weren't going to take different perspectives?

BTW...the only shock answer is Bilstein :D

What length you looking for?

Why because you start a thread and ask advice but when you get it you don't like it and you say you won't change your mind? :rotf:

Why you even start a thread if you weren't going to take different perspectives?

Cracker, cracker, cracker.... I started this thread to get advice on my MJ project.... I have gotten some great advice from people who have been in a similar situation....

AND, I got a few replies from you.... You called me cheap when I stated I would buy what I know is a better product for less, just because it wasn't RE... You tried to argue points with Mnkyboy after he gave me his thoughts on the different types of longarm set-ups (he even said "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION")...

I am thinking about different set-ups and things that have been suggested by people who are here to share advice and help... (that's not you cracker) It's not your advice or opinions I don't like, it's the delivery...

Thanks to you guys that are here helping people, it is appreciated...

I am leaning toward the RC long arm 6.5 for the front... Anyone have any experience with RC springs and the new 2.2 shocks... Also, will the belly pan for the xj work with MJ and do you I have to cut off the lower factory mounts??? ...

yes factory mounts have to be removed. direct fit, had to notch the cab supports(you can see that in the pic) but other than that fits perfect and it very well made and all the parts are big and beefy. I'm very happy with the product

yes factory mounts have to be removed. direct fit, had to notch the cab supports(you can see that in the pic) but other than that fits perfect and it very well made and all the parts are big and beefy. I'm very happy with the product

Thanks for the info.... :thumbsup: That was all I wanted to hear... I know I said early I didn't want to cut up my MJ, but maybe the time has come....

Cracker, cracker, cracker.... I started this thread to get advice on my MJ project.... I have gotten some great advice from people who have been in a similar situation....

AND, I got a few replies from you.... You called me cheap when I stated I would buy what I know is a better product for less, just because it wasn't RE... You tried to argue points with Mnkyboy after he gave me his thoughts on the different types of longarm set-ups (he even said "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION")...

I am thinking about different set-ups and things that have been suggested by people who are here to share advice and help... (that's not you cracker) It's not your advice or opinions I don't like, it's the delivery...

Thanks to you guys that are here helping people, it is appreciated...

And yes. I think you are 'cheaping out'. From every post where you mention money to the title of this thead '...Parts list for SOA Lift... Suggestions??? Better Prices???' If that doesn't scream 'I am cheap' than I don't know what does. And then you justify your position by saying 'better product for less' where other well experienced people tell you otherwise. :shake:

As far as cheap goes, you won't find many that are 'cheaper' than me. Because of my lack of funds, I build my own parts and because of this I get the opportunity to notice things that others don't, specifically about after market parts and their designs. I have no favoritism towards RE and I don't beleive I ever have or ever will own any of their products. As far as an after market company goes, you will be hard pressed to find the quality in design and value compared to their competition.

My comments to Monkey was started out with that he is entitled to his opinion. I pointed out that the three link has earned it's keep on and off the road and even suggested it's beginnings. I never argued with him nor did I state that he was not entitled to his opinion. I wanted to mention that although a three link may seem intimidating for some, it should not be discounted as an 'offroad low speed' only setup.

If you don't like my delivery then deduct the fact out of it. I am very direct and to the point.

My comments to Monkey was started out with that he is entitled to his opinion. I pointed out that the three link has earned it's keep on and off the road and even suggested it's beginnings. I never argued with him nor did I state that he was not entitled to his opinion. I wanted to mention that although a three link may seem intimidating for some, it should not be discounted as an 'offroad low speed' only setup.

This is why i was careful to use the word "opinion".

I have no experience with 3-links other then what i have read,I'm sure they have their place.

I can see your points and value your opinions.

mostly my point was that the terms "short arm" and "long arm" are thrown around very loosely and there is alot more to it.

between short and long arms there are alot of different setups and each are gonna perform differently.

there is also gonna be a difference between a custom built setup like yours and an off the shelf setup.

:cheers:

This is why i was careful to use the word "opinion".

I have no experience with 3-links other then what i have read,I'm sure they have their place.

I can see your points and value your opinions.

mostly my point was that the terms "short arm" and "long arm" are thrown around very loosely and there is alot more to it.

between short and long arms there are alot of different setups and each are gonna perform differently.

there is also gonna be a difference between a custom built setup like yours and an off the shelf setup.

:cheers:

image_209027.gif

Understood.

If you make it out to LA hit me up and we'll let you check it out first hand. :cheers: