Worst car/hack job you owned

maddzz1

I had an 80 something cutlass salon (didnt know there was such a think until i got this one) that was previously owned by two friends. Someone decide to put T-tops on it. They were sealed all around with silicone which was then cut at some point when someone decided to take the T-tops off. The t-tops didnt lock properly so you needed a piece of wood and 2 pennies on top of the latch. The constant shower everytimr it rained would drench my shoulder. This caused the floors to rot out so there was a log from the back of the drivers seat to the back of the rear seat to stop the seat from tipping back when you hit the gas.

It also had no key. There was a rod on top the column that you pulled out to start, then pushed half way in to run, then in to shut off. Eventually I crashed it.

Pretty much all of them.

My 76 GMC takes the cake though... The highlights of the issues with it were:

-O-rings for fuel sender/pickup installed wrong = water in fuel.

-Cab welded back together with 'reclaimed' sheet metal. There appears to be part of a toyota welded under the door sills.

-Most of the bed mount bolts had fallen out.

-Upper rad hose was too short, plus the radiator has the wrong diameter inlet for the hose anyways.

-A cut brake line (drove it before finding that).

-Taiwanese doors are bent. I'm missing half the pieces to install locks in them, but made it work anyways.

-Mad max trailer hitch. It looked like they started with a hitch that didn't fit, welded some metal to it, decided that wasn't gonna be strong enough, then welded some really thick metal to it (poorly).

my atv. 1992 yamaha big bear. first some one stripped the shift shaft so insted aof replacing the shaft they welded the shifter to the shaft :eek: . so now i can change the oil filter because the shifter needs to come off to get to it :shake: .

stripped bolts everywhere.PO mustve loved putting the bolts in cross threaded as so far i stripped the threads out of the front differental and had to replace the rear diff drain plug because it was stripped.

if i wanted to i could go on for an hour......

My very first car I ever officially owned. It was a '56 Caddilac that I used for demo derby when I was 14. When I got it, it was just a pile of parts and rust; when I got done with it, it was stuffed with a 4 bolt main Chevy 350 and lasted me 3 separate derbies. Thing was a beast of a pile of a beast, I liked it. :clapping:

1970 Maverick. Hand-me-down from my three oldersisters. First car I owned (that was on the road). Blue with one white door, AM radio, broke fuel guage, mismatched tires, RUSTY, bad battery, bad water pump, bad ign switch, loose steering, Ford Ebola, one wiper arm and the list goes on. Went to take a LF tire off one day to switch with my Mustang. Loosened the nuts, jacked the tire off the ground, turned to get the lug wrench. Heard a loud crack. Turned back and the tire was back on the ground. Car just kinda broke in half near the firewall. This was in 1978. Went to a JY 20 years later, and there it was, sitting on top of two other cars. Might still be there for all I know.

1985 Ford Ranger long bed that my dad bought new, He drove it for 10 years then gave it to my brother, who drove it for a while till he wrecked it, then I took it and cobbled up the front end to make it drivable again. And this was in MIchigan, so you can probably imagine the amount of rust on it by this time too. here's the list!

Rusted out rear cab mounts allowed the cab to sink, which was then propped up with 2x4's.

Brother wrecked front end, grill was gone, different color fender, and holes cut in the hood for bungee cords to keep the hood shut.

Me doing donuts in a Meijers parking lot hit a curb going sideways, bending the right rear axle end causing the wheel to noticable wobble going down the road.

Gas tank leaked so could only put 1/2 to 3/4 tank in ata time.

Trans fluid was never changed in the entire life of this ranger, so one night getting on the highway I hear and feel a huge BOOM! No gears for a few seconds, I move the shifter from neutral to drive and up and down, and finnally get moving again only find that 4th gear was no longer there. It stayed like that till I finnally got rid of it, too afraid to change the fluid at this point!

For most of its life it would run horribly till it got warmed up, I think an o2 sensor, but we never fixed it. Once it was warm it ran great.

Got pulled over once because I had no plate light, the plate was mounted on the tailgate because the bumper was rusted out where the plate was supposed to be. Cop saw that and let me go.

Decided one day I didnt need it anymore and wouldnt get much if I sold it, so I drove it to the junkyard in town and asked what they would give me for it....$35 ! I politely declined and left going up their long driveway to the mai road. Halfway up the drive, it ran out of gas because of the leaky tank. I walked back down to the yard operator and told him it ran out of gas and Id take the $35! They gave me a ride home... only a few blocks away.

Even with all that I still think it was a good truck.

had a couple gems.... my 87 Lincoln Town Car AKA "the Clinkin"... named it that cause a new noise would pop up every day.... bought it for $50 when my buick lesabre was in the body shop after my accident and spent 2 whole days cleaning it up and deodorizing it so i could actually drive it :rotf: the PO was a painter and it was his work vehicle... paint cans popped open in the trunk, and everything in there was glued to the carpet with paint.. i rolled up the whole trunk carpet with everything attached to it, including the car's jack, and threw it right in the dumpster .... it had power vent windows up front that would roll down before the main window, the d. side one was stuck open about 1/2 inch... the right rear window only opened halfway, left rear not at all.... rear brakes were nonexistent, found this out when i tried to park on a patch of ice, brake pedal to the firewall and the rear wheels were still spinning :rotf:.. tranny xmember was broken on one side, so the ebrake cable was holding the tranny up. at full throttle the interior filled up with acrid white smoke that poured in from the vents ( i ended up fixing that though, found out the problem was a damm breather filter the size of a 1/2 roll of quarters that sits inside the intake and was supposed to stop oil from getting in there... i wonder how many of them got junked cause noone knew about that filter, i found out about it from an old timer ford tech who heard me talking about it with my buddy at a swap meet).. after the buick was fixed i drove it to the junkyard a couple miles up the road with my bike in the trunk , they gave me $25 for it and i rode the bike home.

next up... the "danger ranger" :rotf: 87 ford ranger 2wd w/a 2.9 v6, bought it for $100 and drove it for a while... the exhaust manifolds leaked and it was obscenely loud, but no shop in a 20 mile radius was willing to touch it and neither was i, so i dealt with it... every time you let off the gas to slow down from anything over 40 mph it would backfire so loud it sounded like i was taking shots at people :rotf: me and a friend ended up attempting to do the exhaust manifold gaskets and broke every single bolt off flush with the heads, so i ended up trading it for a 68 Lincoln mark III that ran but needed a complete resto to someone who wanted the motor for a bronco 2.

then there was the honda.... 88 accord hatchback.... went to look at a camaro with my friend (for him) and the guy had the honda sitting in his yard too.. it was stolen and he got it back, but the interior was hacked up, all the speakers and the radio were gone and the d.side window was broken... bought it for $100 cause i needed a spare car, wired some junk speakers and a radio into it and replaced the front seats and the broken window.. every so often it would just die and wouldn't restart for about an hour, i almost lost my job cause of this car :rotf: .. the right front caliper was stuck, but i never replaced it.. all 4 tires had belts showing.. the entire trunk floor was rotted out... i ended up losing the keys for it and it got towed during a snow parking ban, and i never went to pick it up cause i had never registered it....

It would have to be my comanche. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but its got some work. First vehicle was a 79 Ford F350. It was a beast, but was a flatbed and could get stuck on flat ground if you mentioned the word ice. Hook it up right it could pull a mountain. Second ride was my 89 cherokee. It is nice, but was abused through my adolescence, also worked great out in the woods with the seats down if you know what I mean. Still have the jeep and it still is mechanically sound, even surviving through college. I am now thankfully an owner of dependable vehicles, so the comanche gets to be a dedicated play toy. Drove a little ugly 80's era corolla with a trunk full of subwoofers at one point also.

1986 Ice Blue Plymouth Reliant Coupe, my first car, bought in 1994 for $2000.

I saved $1000 on my own and my dad matched what I saved. Got it home, then realized the whole passenger quarter panel was bondo and the quarter window was plexiglass... :doh: lol I was 16 and knew little about cars.

Looked like this, but blue: :rotfl2: