New guy wants a Comanche

Hello All,

I am new to your forum and have a couple questions. I have had a few jeeps in the past but never a Comanche. I have been looking for a Cherokee and in my search have found a couple Comanche's that have caught my eye. I plan to go look at one on Monday and was wondering if there is anything you recomend to check for. Also how hard is it to swap in a 4wd trans ,transfer, and front axle? Is it as simple as it looks? The truck I'm looking at is a 1990 2wd short bed with around 150K. The body looks straight and is rust free (I'll see if thats true on monday). Whats it worth? I think I can get it for $1500.00 Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Check the floors, and inside of the rear wheels wells for rust. Those are usually the first and worst places they get it.

As far as the 4wd swap, yes it is as easy as it looks. Best part is you can usually grab an entire XJ, do the 4wd swap, and sell off what you don't need to make some money back. The only thing you can't grab from an XJ is the rear driveshaft, you'll either need to find a factory 4wd MJ one, or have yours cut down.

Looking forward to some pics, even if you don't buy it. Welcome to the club! image_209027.gif

check for rust under the real flares. check the frame around the back of the cab and around the front spring hangers for rust. and follow pete ms advice and check your floors. other than that nothing special.

oh and also welcome to the club. :cheers:

And.........rust at the rockers and cab back corners......

Price depends on the area your in (location) but what you posted on year and mileage, that sounds about the right price range for a 2wd. Maybe in the 1200 range is more like it, but depends on how many you have seen in your location.

As Geonovast wrote.........the 2wd to 4wd is a very easy swap, and XJ's make perfect donors.

Your looking at a '90, so that's still Renix, any XJ from '86 - '90 will be Renix, and '91 - '95 (or '96) would also work for the drive line :brows:

My advice would be look for a fix up comanche. I understand the appeal of a vehicle in "running condition" but runing isn't always as it seems. I bought mine with seemingly everything wrong with it, but I knew the engine was good, so after replacing all the hoses the belt all the fuses the radiator tank my clutch master cylinder and a few cosmetic things i have a very nicely running jeep for a very good price, and sence most the things i replaced would probobly cause trouble anyway (because they were mostly plastic) i didnt spend any money i wouldn't have otherwise. It also came with a new clutch and new tires. It does have its downs however. No headliner, terrible paint, a few dents here and there, and its ugly as sin, but thats my style. I don't look for a show piece in a pickup truck i just need something usefull and thats exactly what i have. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

i got my 86 2.5l 7ft bed 4 speed guy thought the clutch was out of it but i put it in 1st and started it and drovie it home after talking him down to 300 bucks guy wasnt happy but i just signed the title if he would have known it was a 30 dollar part to fix the cluch master cylinder

i got my 86 2.5l 7ft bed 4 speed guy thought the clutch was out of it but i put it in 1st and started it and drovie it home after talking him down to 300 bucks guy wasnt happy but i just signed the title if he would have known it was a 30 dollar part to fix the cluch master cylinder

haha thats wonderfull. mine wasnt in driving home condition, but we did drive it up on the trailor. When the plastic radiator reservoir busted the guy had bypassed that with a couple pieces of pvc pipe and then had put the water pump on crooked so it made the fan belt slice a big slit in the lower radiator hose and ruined the belt. long story short i replaced all the radiator hoses and heater hoses and the tank then i was basically good to go. except for the master cylinder. that was a whole different animal because it had leaked down all over the fuse box and caused the fuses to short out and burn up. so after replacing the fuses i noticed my foot had brake fluid on it and figured out that problem when my clutch went to the floor and i had to drive home without it. but now like i said ive got an excelent running jeep without pouring money into it.

thats awsome. its hard driveing without a clutch master cylinder

well my dad was a tractor trailor driver and mechanic for 20 years so when he taught me to drive stick he made sure i knew how to drive without the clutch. i can shift clutchless fine in my truck but it turns over so slow its really hard to take off without a hill. by the way that clutch master cylinder is a doozie to work out of there. me and my brother did it in after a while but i was afraid we were gunna break it haha.

I got to take look at the jeep today, inside was very rough missing some trim. the body was very good except the floor boards were rotted out from the inside. I was still interested but owner will not go below $1500 I was willing to go $1200 but he didnt want to budge. My job takes me all over the south east so I'll keep looking and who knows maybe I'll find another.

From that description the truck doesn't sound worth 1,200. I love comanches but people think they can charge you for the fact that its a comanche, and while being wonderfull vehicles they still aren't rare enough to pay for the name. If your around here enough you'll find a comanche no problem for a much better deal than that. I have less money than that in my Jeep and thats after all the work and parts. Mine does have some dents and stuff but i would rather have dents than have to replace a floorboard. Mine also has terrible paint but thats very easily fixed. I just hate to see somebody get excited about wanting a car and pay too much for it.

From that description the truck doesn't sound worth 1,200. I love comanches but people think they can charge you for the fact that its a comanche, and while being wonderfull vehicles they still aren't rare enough to pay for the name. If your around here enough you'll find a comanche no problem for a much better deal than that. I have less money than that in my Jeep and thats after all the work and parts. Mine does have some dents and stuff but i would rather have dents than have to replace a floorboard. Mine also has terrible paint but thats very easily fixed. I just hate to see somebody get excited about wanting a car and pay too much for it.

Yea I'm lookin but not in a hurry, thanks for the input

Theres about 4 or 5 for sale on Craigslist in Atlanta ,I bought mine for $650 with a bad fuel pump,$92 dollars later it was on the road..I now have about 1400 or 1500 dollars total in my truck and Its heading on its test run in the dirt in a few weeks.

Its different owning a Comanche,not many on the road so it gets some looks.Get you one!!!!