Any photo nuts?

Automan2164

Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a camera for a hobby lately. It all started awhile ago with a camera I should have bought at the local surplus auction... It was an older Canon 35mm that they most likely used for accident scenes and crime scenes. Came with some really nice lenses, and flash stuff, but I didn't put too much though into it and passed it up. I think it went for $20 or something. :fs1: It was probably worth a ton more. Now I find myself wishing I had bought it, and kicking myself for it. So, now that I will be throwing myself into unknown territory looking for a camera from joe-schmoe, or a camera store, I wanted to see what any photography nuts would recommend.

My uses would be mainly outdoor, to take pictures of old buildings, interesting architecture, old cars and such... I would like to get something with some range, and something that would still look good if I wanted to blow it up a bit for some bigger sizes/portraits. I think 35mm would do good. I want to stay away from digital, I want something with some feeling, and and some character I guess.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a place on the net to find one, or any recommendations on what to look for in a good film camera?

Thanks,

Rob L. :cheers:

Craigslist. Film cameras point and shoot and SLR, are very cheap. My wife is a photographer and has purchased a few. I would go digital if you are getting an SLR. She has 2, a Nikon D40 and a D90. They are just so much more user friendly and can do so much more too. Especially when it comes to editing. She has access to a dark room, for when she shoots with film, but she very rarely does anymore. If cost is your main factor then go with film, but digital is better in just about every way.

My brother's GF has a camera that saves the pictures as a .jpg, and in RAW format, which takes up a little more space but apparentely you can do whatever you want with the picture in editing. Basically it's saved before it's converted to any sort of format. I don't remember what kind it is, but I can easily find out.

Budget is a big concern here, so it looks like I am going to have to stay on the film route... And shy away from digital. I really don't want a point and shoot. I have been looking at stuff like this:

http://madison.craigslist.org/pho/1418868789.html

http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/1427874433.html

http://rockford.craigslist.org/pho/1444079961.html

I like the idea of being able to just do all of my editing myself with a digi, but I can not afford one right now. I am more in the $100 range. I have no problem taking my film to walgreens or anything like that. I don't plan on going pro anytime soon. If I could just get it developed, and it looks good, I can always take the negs back to have one blown up. I just want something reliable, and fun to use... I really like the way that auction one felt in my hands, knowing more now, it was a really nice canon SLR. Should have got it.

But I am still open to any ideas, and opinions... Good stuff so far.

Rob L.

Hi Rob, I used to resell used SLR cameras on ebay when they were worth selling they do not sell for much anymore. I still have alot of stuff left its all 35mm SLR (ones that take the different lens) all manual focus. I would have to look and see whats left I believe there`s a really nice Minolta outfit. If you would want to go the manual route let me know. I am sure I have something I can let go cheap and it will be tested before I send it out. If you want auto focus SLR go to ebay used and new canons can be had for around $100.00 now with some lens.

Hi Rob, I used to resell used SLR cameras on ebay when they were worth selling they do not sell for much anymore. I still have alot of stuff left its all 35mm SLR (ones that take the different lens) all manual focus. I would have to look and see whats left I believe there`s a really nice Minolta outfit. If you would want to go the manual route let me know. I am sure I have something I can let go cheap and it will be tested before I send it out. If you want auto focus SLR go to ebay used and new canons can be had for around $100.00 now with some lens.

PM sent. :D

Rob L.

The two best brands of SLR (single lens reflex) camera for 35mm film are Canon and Nikon. Both have loyal and zealous advocates, and it's unlikely to find a member of either camp saying much good about the other. There used to be thousands of professional photographers using each brand, but probably more using Nikon. I prefer Canon, because the controls seem to fit my hands and the way I think. I have used a few Nikons and I always found them to be awkward and counter-intuitive. But both companies make excellent lenses, and that's the heart of a 35mm film camera.

For film, Olympus had some decent ones. too.

For digital, IMHO Canon is the only way to go. Never EVER buy the newest generation of digital SLR. Both Nikon and Canon are pushing the envelope too hard, and for both companies the professionals are finding that the newest generation image processor screen has tried to squeeze so many pixels into the same size screen that the pixels "bleed," creating artifacts in the images. Many have dumped their newest camera and gone back one generation for better images.

film sucks. go digital. there used to be a quality advantage to film, but that's no longer the case. price is the only advantage now. and that advantage will quickly fade once you start tallying up the price for film and development. I love snapping photos and was one of the last holdouts of film. Ended up selling my Elan 7e Canon for all of a hundred bucks. She was a sweet (and expensive) camera. But I don't miss her anymore. I kept the lenses and when I have money again, I'll be getting a digital version (lenses interchange). Th advantages of instantly seeing my photo far outweigh the romanticism of waiting for film development.

As a side note, 95% of the photos you see in my picturetrail site were taken with non-SLR digitals. I've been so utterly impressed with the abilities of my Canon T-10 Steadyshot that I may never get around to buying a larger camera. the colors and sharpness are way beyond the pocket cameras of a few years ago. The only disadvantage has been low light capability when trying to not use the flash. the smaller lens just doesn't pull in light like the big ones.

and this one is indeed a fly. :D

They will get my Pentax K from me when the pry it from my dead cold hands....

It was a great completely manual camera when I bought it about 20 years ago.. still works just fine after a ton of rolls a film through it.

Unfortunately Kodak decided this year to stop producing KodaChrome...

Nice shot Pete, shows the clarity you can achieve with a digital camera.

If budget is your main concern, I would definitely go digital. Just think of all the money you’ll be saving on processing fees. Looks like you’re leaning towards the Nikon, good cameras but I would also consider a Cannon. I still have the Canon Eos Elan, and it’s a damn fine camera, spent a bunch of money on it and some lenses, but never use it anymore. Instead I use my under $200 Sony Cyber-shot 12.1. The conveniences of digital far outweigh any unforeseen benefits of film IMHO.

go digital, you will SAVE in the long run, you could take 1000s of pix with a digital with no film to buy or any processing to pay for plus you can see what you captured right away with the ability to edit it.

I just got back from a trip to the store... I have a couple of Digi cams, while not the top of the line, get me by. I guess what I am looking for is some thing with feeling, and character... I think what I need is some film. I am looking for hobby pics, not anything serious where I would need to edit... I think I just want to mess around with some lenses, film, and such.

Film is the route I am going... Have some more searching to do.

Rob L.

character? I still don't understand. Are you romanticizing the hardships that photographers dealt with for decades? You can easily set a modern SLR to full manual and go nuts. :thumbsup: There's no need to use all the wizbang technology. It's nothing for me to snap 30+ shots of the same exact thing looking for just the right combination of light and composition. the not-quite-right photos cost me nothing and I can see what went wrong and reshoot while the scene is still available to me. I shot film for many a year and will NOT be going back. :fs1:

But have fun standing in the store going "aww, that wasn't quite what I wanted..." :cheers:

treat it like lifting your truck. Don't rush in and buy something cheap just because it's all you can afford right now. Save up a bit and get something you will truly appreciate. Used ones should be that much more. Just be sure to get at least 6-7megapixels if you go SLR.

dang I love that magnifying glass setting. :D

Canon DSC-T10 It was a fairly high end unit for pocket cameras. We were sold on it when we found it takes a hair over 2 second to be ready to shoot after you slide open the front cover. :D The previous camera took forever. No complex moving lens guards, no extending meechanical lens housing. Nice and simple means less stuff to break And a Zeiss lens too. :banana: Had it for a few years now. Used ones should be fairly affordable these days.

Sony-T10-lg.jpg

I was very impressed with how well it snapped shots with a blinding foreground

If you do end up going the film route, make sure you research which of the newer digital cameras can use the older lens. I know someone mention it already but if you find a nice used setup with a good amount of lenses, might as well think of the future and the money you won't have to spend if you go digital later. And Pete, those are some awesome pic's. I gave my wife the 12 mega pixel sony but it does have the mechanical lens. I may have to borrow it from her to see what it can do.

:cheers: