Fender Flare thread

I searched but can’t find a thread for fender flares. I went from 30” BFG AT’s to BFG MT’s and that little change now has my front tires rubbing.

I’ve seen folks remove them, move them up, cut them squared off, angle cut, and replace them with various products like Bushcrackers. So, If there isn’t already a thread: What Have You Done?

I searched but can’t find a thread for fender flares. I went from 30” BFG AT’s to BFG MT’s and that little change now has my front tires rubbing.

I’ve seen folks remove them, move them up, cut them squared off, angle cut, and replace them with various products like Bushcrackers. So, If there isn’t already a thread: What Have You Done?

Where are your tires rubbing? Do you have a lift? The usual place where 30s or 31s rub is on the lower control arms at full steering lock, and that has nothing to do with the flares.

Where are your tires rubbing? Do you have a lift? The usual place where 30s or 31s rub is on the lower control arms at full steering lock, and that has nothing to do with the flares.

You’re right; I guess more clarification is needed. When my wheels are compressed and turned either direction, the tires hit the front, bottom side of the fender flares. I don't have a lift but i did get some stiffer springs up front. I guess i'm fortunate that the tires don’t hit the LCA’s. But I hear that the stock LCA’s are another weak link, so that probably needs to be upgraded down the road.

You’re right; I guess more clarification is needed. When my wheels are compressed and turned either direction, the tires hit the front, bottom side of the fender flares. I don't have a lift but i did get some stiffer springs up front. I guess i'm fortunate that the tires don’t hit the LCA’s. But I hear that the stock LCA’s are another weak link, so that probably needs to be upgraded down the road.

Are you running stock Jeep wheels? If not do you know the backspace of the wheels you do have?

Are you running stock Jeep wheels? If not do you know the backspace of the wheels you do have?

They’re American Racing, Outlaw wheels. At the time I bought them (20 yrs. ago) I didn’t even know what backspacing was. I just searched on-line and apparently the backspacing is 3 ¾.

They’re American Racing, Outlaw wheels. At the time I bought them (20 yrs. ago) I didn’t even know what backspacing was. I just searched on-line and apparently the backspacing is 3 ¾.

There's your problem. The B/S is causing your wheels to stick too far out in the wheel wells. Best is 4.0 - 4.5 for our MJs.

There's your problem. The B/S is causing your wheels to stick too far out in the wheel wells. Best is 4.0 - 4.5 for our MJs.

Thanks for your feedback. Now when I think about it; they do stick out past the fenders quite a bit even when the wheels are pointed straight

Ok, so say I found a similar looking wheel with 4 or 4.5 backspacing, wouldn’t I then have possible clearance issues with the LCA’s? Or would it just be better to deal with the fender flares and not worry about chasing the problem around…?

There's your problem. (I see Hornbrod beat me to it.)

Ok, so say I found a similar looking wheel with 4 or 4.5 backspacing, wouldn’t I then have possible clearance issues with the LCA’s? Or would it just be better to deal with the fender flares and not worry about chasing the problem around…?

Nope. Stock OEM Jeep rims are 5-1/4" backspacing, and 30x9.50s just barely rub on the lower control arms at full steering lock. I'm currently running 31x10.50s on stock alloy rims on my '88 XJ with no lift. Minor rubbing on the LCAs at full lock turning one way, no rubbing turning the other way.

4-1/2" of backspacing should take care of it for you.

With 4.5" lift springs, 1.75" spacers and the longest cheap shocks in the catalog running 33x12.50 tires on 8" wide rims with 4" backspacing I cut the front of the fenders straight level with the top of the bumper/bottom of lights, then at the edge of the flat part where the raised part for the flares starts. Then cut a little more off the bottom front corner as it was still catching at full stuff. have not decided on what to do for flares yet.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone seen the Cherokee Country Edition fender flares? I am guessing thats what they are. I stripped a 96 County XJ and noticed the the front flares are wider then the norm but only towards the top and rear. The back flares looked the same.

I have a few options and not sure what I really want to do yet. I have a front set of Bushwhacker cut outs, the wider country ones and the stock ones on there now.

on the same note I'm redoing my own MJ and I'm wondering what I will put as for flares

I know that some XJ owners put YJ or TJ flares on theirs to widen them and cover more of the tires

is that a common mod to do on MJ to?

on the same note I'm redoing my own MJ and I'm wondering what I will put as for flares

I know that some XJ owners put YJ or TJ flares on theirs to widen them and cover more of the tires

is that a common mod to do on MJ to?

I think i've seen more MJ's with cut fenders and/or moved up. Still need to do something with mine... :hmm:

(On my XJ) I have 3.5 lift, 31's, 3" BS, aftermarket LCA's and TJ flares. No rubbing, anywhere at full lock and stuffed. I can crank the wheels without ANY rubbing and I have a wicked tight turning radius.

On the MJ I have 2" lift (came that way), 31's, stock alloy wheels, 1.5" wheel spacers. No rubbing, yet. Since it's non-op and a work in progress I can't tell you about any rubbing off road, but when I crank the wheels it all looks good. When I flex it (on ramps) the wheel does stuff, but does not hit anything. Of course this is in my driveway, no "real world" action yet.

• 2 years later...