D35 to D44 swap

Yep. Unless you can find an area Pick-n-pull. Seems that they are reeeeeaaaaaalllllly dropping prices right now. I can get one for $85 by me, and I think jpdocdave paid about the same for his MJ D44...

And I wasn't fighting with Correy, just giving him a hard time. ;)

He knows my MO.

Rob L.

D44 with what gears by you?

I was just saying that "if" one shows up at the new yard I go to, its $85 for ANY axle. Dave found one in the yard by him on half price weekend.... I am keeping my eye out. There is another branch of my fav junkyard up by you (kinda) in Janesville you should keep an eye on.

Rob L.

D44 with what gears by you?

I was just saying that "if" one shows up at the new yard I go to, its $85 for ANY axle. Dave found one in the yard by him on half price weekend.... I am keeping my eye out. There is another branch of my fav junkyard up by you (kinda) in Janesville you should keep an eye on.

Rob L.

jeeze 85 any axle all the time, thats awesome. mine was 80 bux, w/ a 15 dollar core :nuts: for whatever reason, i'm snagging a junk axle from a friend so mine will be down to 65 bux :banana: .

250 is a good price, 300 is about normal.

...jeeze 85 any axle all the time, thats awesome...

Yep. All prices are SET. Because I got my D30/44A on 25% off weekend, they were only $67.50 ea. Complete engines, no matter what milage or how good they run are $250 all day everyday. Complete CJ/YJ bodies are $400.

I'm telling ya man, You've got to get out here with some cash. :brows:

Rob L.

gotta simmilar question, i could measure but keep forgeting...my 87 is accross town

what is the differance between drive shaft lengths from a ba10 to d35 and ax15 to d44?

i ask cause i want to put the d44 thats in my garage in place of the d35 under my 87. yes it needs an inch shorter shaft but the 90 is soa and could use an extra inch. i was hopen i could swap the two and be just rite on both.

also will the slip yolk swap?

I guess this D44 is out of a 96 grand cherokee. Does that mean it has the 5 on 5 bolt and aluminum center section. I remember reading somewhere that this is not a good swap option into an MJ. I know my 00 WJ has the aluminum D44 and 5 on 5 bolt.

ALL ZJ "Dana 44s" have the aluminum housing. Aside from the housing being weaker than a D35, the internals are NOT standard D44. The pre-99 versions are 5 on 4-1/2, but otherwise just as terrible as the newer ones.

VERY bad choice. Run away, as fast as you can.

• 4 weeks later...

The 8.8 has a flange for the drive shaft to bolt to. I believe the Exploders use 1330 series u-joints, so you can either get an adapter u-joint, or a custom drive shaft.

Old Toyotas also use a flange, and 1310 u-joints, but I doubt a Toyota flange adapter is a straight bolt on to a Ford axle.

And the Exploder 8.8 is about 1.5" narrower than a Jeep axle.

The BA10 and AX15 are essentially the same length.

Just did this swap on a XJ. The only difference really is the weight of the trans. Also -members are different.

How about the length from a D35 to an 8.8, will the current driveshaft bolt up to the 8.8?

Some of the full size trucks came with a u-bolt style yoke thus eliminating the need for the adapter. Also their is a spicer part number for a 1310 companion flange, as well as a ford part number. I would stick with the spicer one if you can. Also the bolts that go into the flange are odd ball metric, and 12 point.

I can't speak on the Drive shaft on the MJ, but I just did this swap ba/10 to ax 15 in a XJ with a D44 rear, and the drive shaft that was in it worked fine.