WTB: a jeep zj but what are the pros and cons

project88mj

i have a chevy right now and hate the thing its a great truck but i still hate it, so i was looking at trading it for a mid to late 90"s jeep grand cherokee aka the ZJ. I want it to have selectable 4x4 : so if any body knows the pros and cons ( other than it not being a MJ) please fill me in.

ps: i would get a 4x4 comanche in any shape if it ran good but there none to be found here. :(

my g/ f has a 95 4.0 zj with 190k miles and it runs better than my mj when it was new and definitly rides better.down sides are it will probably need an evaporator core unless it's been replaced,rear axle noise(gears and or bearings)and they do like electrical gremlins.hers does get 20mpg on the highway which is about 5-6 more than my mj.they do share the common 4.0 problems of waterpumps,exhaust manifolds and crank sensors but hers has the original w/p and the manifold is atleast 6 years old and not cracked yet.i would really get a 4.0 instead of a 5.2 because the 4.0s are better imop and easier to work on.i was a jeep/chrysler tech for 5-6 years so i've seen one or two zjs.

Why the ZJ over a same-era XJ?

ZJs have junk rear axles, junk transmissions, and not the greatest front axles. Not to mention virtually impossible to find with a manual transmission. (93 w/4.0 only, and very very few of them).

If you can't get ahold of a decent MJ, I'd just look around for a decent shape mid 90s XJ.

I have a 93 that I bought used. Had about 52k now 186k. 5.2 V8, AWD.

Only major complaint is the elec system. wiring harnesses( especially to the doors)

get brittle and break, which when you have power everything , is a problem. The security system gets flakey when they get older, sometimes have to relock it if it goes off, and go around to the pass side to unlock the doors.

Can't complain about the mileage(18-20) running around, and they ride nice.

One of these days I have to get off my FLA and sell mine.

I like mine. I have a '98 4.0L Auto NP249. So far the only complaint I have is the Xfer case, and the axles. I did a front bearing/seal kit, and the rear now needs it. I hear its common. That and the viscus clutch is locked, can't be helping the bearing out that much. I do get 18-20 MPG, and it seems like a ZJ of the same vintage of an XJ, the ZJ will be cheaper.

Rob L.

I had a '95 ZJ, 5.2, Quadra-Trac. Loved it, and still miss it from time to time. Sold it to my Dad when I got my MJ, and it's still going strong with >275K on the odo.

Pros & cons all depend on what you want to use it for. IMO, they ride smoother, handle pavement better, and have more room and creature comforts than an XJ. Full coil suspension rather than coil and leaf spring. Downside is that you sacrifice some off-road capability for the better road manners, and more complicated electronics mean more potential gremlins to chase down - and the early year models are notorious for electrical bugs and shoddy wiring. But, If you're looking for a solid multi-purpose daily driver, with occasional off-road use, IMO a ZJ's tough to beat. If you're looking for something to build into a capable off-roader, then an XJ's a better bet.

ZJ's usually came with Mopar 42RE auto trannies, rather than the AW-4 the XJ's had. Both have their fans and critics, so YMMV - I never had an issue with mine. D30 fronts and basically same front suspension set up as an XJ. Depending on the year, a ZJ rear either has the same D35c axles lots of XJ & MJ's were stuck with, or it has D44a. However, these are not the same thing as the "real" D44's. I can't remember all the details, so someone with real knowledge can chime in, but what I do recall is that the 44's in ZJ's had aluminum center sections and different internals. Durability issues, and hard to upgrade. This is where the junk axle rep came from. Most people I know who used their ZJ's off road swapped 'em out for real 44's or Ford 8.8's first thing. The full time 4wd transfer cases need to have their fluid changed religiously according to schedule, or they have a rep for problems and being expensive to fix.

The 4.0 is a great engine, cheap parts and easy to work on. But in my opinion is slightly underpowered in the ZJ. The 5.2 is definitely the better driver of the two, and the mpg is about the same, since it doesn't have to work as hard. Downside is that it's crammed into that engine bay pretty tight and can be a pain to work on (I have scars on my forearms from changing out the back plugs)

That's about all I can think of.

Bought 'her' a 96' ZJ (Laredo/L6/Select Trac) in 1999, w/33k miles.

Was her daily driver up till a month, or so ago (tranny is just about completely gone now, @ 96k miles).

L6 power was way down from any 4.0L XJ/MJ I ever had (I'm guessing because of the ZJ's extra weight).

Tranny slipped on the 2>>3 shift, when cold since ~38k miles.

Had the dealer do the 36K mile service (fluid change & tighten bands), but the slip came back around 40k.

Was fine in the summer, and in the winter once warmed up, but steadily got worse, and now it's slipping in every gear.

Other than the tranny, it hasn't needed much service over the last 10 years:

broke about 10 of those ball jointed sway bar disconnects :fs1:

Finally drilled out the bar, and went to the solid, w/ bushing style used in XJ/MJ's.

Also one of the crappy Chrysler composite rotors snapped in half on her, at about 5 mph in a parking lot. :fs1: :fs1:

They were a recall item by then, so Chrysler replaced that set for free.

Only other complaint is the dreaded Diesel piston rocking.

This Jeep does it worse than any other 4.0L I've had.

I can't leave anything alone, so I bumped it up a couple inches 8, or 9 years ago.

3" (stiff) Rancho coils in the front gave it 2.25-2.5" (FWIW, coils rode alot nicer in the ZJ vs the XJ I had them on before),

and I trimmed the stock ft coils down, and swapped them into the rear for ~2.5"

(untrimmed the ft coils gave it ~4", and I didn't want that much lift).

I kept the stock shocks, and didn't need a SYE.

Looks pretty good with 30" TJ tires & wheels, but even 32's have fit (on the road) with a little trimming.

Now I'm to the point where I'll either strip it (discs, T-case, wheels/tires, maybe the 'better' 96+ block, maybe pow seats), or hop on the government trough and get me some of that handout money towards something new.

(Off Topic: I'll be sure to thank my 5 year old, since his generation is gonna have to pay all this debt off :headpop: )

Other than this gag picture (it's behind the photochopped MJ), I don't really have any pics of it online.

Image Not Found

I've got a 94 with 5.2l and a NP249 and 209k miles on it....

Other than the viscous coupler in the T-case and the already noted electric bugs. Its been a VERY good truck.

The 42RE didnt come behind the 5.2l and the D-35 is no more or less stinky than when it is in any other Jeep.

The ZJ was really made for the V-8 though... Drive a 4.0l version than a 5.2l version.. the difference is nite and day.....

My first ZJ was a 98 ltd 4.0, like an idiot i traded it for a 97 dodge ram. then i redeemed myself and found a 98 5.9 ltd, and like an idiot traded it for a comander........worst idea ever BTW. glad it was only a lease that thing was horrible in the snow. anyway, now we have a 97 loredo 4.0. never really had any problems with ZJ's, in fact the only problem i ever did have was about a week ago the 97 got stucj in 4wd, but with some help from here it was resolved quickley.i love the ZJ's, second to the MJ of course :D

xj's are a little too far out of my price range for what i am wanting i like that you can still use them offroad for fun and have comfort to spare

what?!?!?!

dude. rethink that statement. the jeep cherokee (base, sport, limited, country, etc. etc.) has been proven, time and again to be THE CHEAPEST and BEST vehicle to own for even moderate trail ridding.

I can find cherokees all day long for $1300 or less. sure, they need TLC....but they will need a hell of alot less than that $500 ZJ seen on craigslist, and parts are cheaper to boot.

a grand cherokee lift kit costs more than a bas cherokee as well. this is because they are coil front and rear.

like geonovast said, there's not much beneficial to buying a ZJ over an XJ since an XJ can be found for less money.

x2 on jeepco's post. I was gonna say when I saw you make that comment zoolander, that unless Oklahoma has some weird flip-flop on vehicle values, NO WAY XJs are more expensive to get than ZJs. Around here, XJs are a dime a dozen at any given price point, and with a little patience you can get something decent if your expectations are in line with what you want to spend. In this region, you can get a excellent condition 125-150k XJ Sport for $4k, and very often down near $3k for one that may have a few bumps and bruises with mileage 140-160k. And that's for 97+ body styles. Mid 90s and older knock off $1k for sure. XJ all the way. :thumbsup:

oh,

not to mention. ANY grand cherokee you buy for under $1500 is gonna have a crap ton wrong with it, unless your lucky. and even if there is nothing wrong with it when you get it, don't worry, because something will go wrong.

more parts to break is not good on a budget/d/d vehicle

Darn! I had the opportunity to buy one. I now regret it. What did you get for milage? Horrible I'm sure...

Rob L.

well, considering it was a 360, all time 4 wheel drive and you had to use high octane fuel, i got about 17 mpg, but i was very heavy footed with it. the best thing in the world was seeing the look on the faces of the guys in those little rice burners when they got spanked buy a stock domestic SUV :yes:

17 is freakin' awesome for 360 mileage! My Dak R/T can barely squeak out 17 on the freeway... at 55mph... downhill... with a stiff tailwind. :shake: My heavy foot usually got me 11 in mixed driving.

the dealership that ended up with it after i traded it in back in 06 still has it, everyone is afraid to buy it because of gas prices. plus the guy is asking like $9500 for it now which i think is a bit high for a 98 with 200k on the clock.