This thing on?

Automan2164

Shock mounts welded to the axle instead of using the original ones underneath the springs, U bolts pointing up instead of down, using XJ spring plates. More down travel, less up travel keeping the tires out of the fender flares, and allowing a bit more flex as it turned out the up travel was not limited by the shocks (it is now), but by tire contact against fender. Also gained 3" ground clearance underneath the axle just inside the tires. I did the usual fork lift test, and have had quite a few road miles on it, but no real world off road testing yet.

Oh, and I put the Chevy drop shackles back on so the truck doesn't squat when loaded. Unloaded it has a bit of rake, loaded it sits level. Add to that the taller springs (seem to be 1" taller than stock specs, 1" less than 3" lift springs) and I got a total rear lift of around 8". Still running 6.25" up front, and fixed the clearance issues up there with selective removal of sheet metal.

Still have not finished tweaking the front suspension (control arm lengths), but I'm getting close.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are a pack of post whores....

The parents in my son's Cub Scout pack is trying to get me to become the Cub Master. Wonder if I can convince them their is a "junkyard scouting" or "sanding my rusty truck" badge????

I know there is an auto repair badge... Go for that and work some "extra" activities...

Cubs scouts though huh? Make sure to work in the space derby, and the pinewood derby. I don't think we did enough of that in my pack.

Rob L. :brows:

• 2 weeks later...

After talking to Rob last night I am seriously considering building a bed for my MJ... I kinda like the old J truck thriftside beds... My wife suggested caging the entire bed so I can put seats for the kids back there.. Or maybe build one like a wildland fire truck...

Its your fault and no my current one wouldn't pass your test for beds... its starting to get holes in places...

After talking to Rob last night I am seriously considering building a bed for my MJ... I kinda like the old J truck thriftside beds... My wife suggested caging the entire bed so I can put seats for the kids back there.. Or maybe build one like a wildland fire truck...

Its your fault and no my current one wouldn't pass your test for beds... its starting to get holes in places...

I like the idea with the wildland fire truck... I often dream about finding a "service body" for a comanche, and putting it on. Having room for all my tools on my truck... :drool:

And I would be happy to check out your bed, it can't be any worse than mine already is.

Rob L.

Doubling your parts storage eh?

That's the plan. That way, I can put the parts up there as I dissassemble. I am just worried about cutting rafters... I have 16" on center, and the rough opening for the pull down stairs is 22.5" by 55"...

I all-of-a-sudden had a bug up my butt to insulate, drywall, and seal the garage floor before I start the MJ. So far, I have over half of the exterior walls insulated, and will move on to drywall once I am done with those. I am waiting on the attic ladder before I insulate and floor the attic.

Rob L.

Doubling your parts storage eh?

That's the plan. That way, I can put the parts up there as I dissassemble. I am just worried about cutting rafters... I have 16" on center, and the rough opening for the pull down stairs is 22.5" by 55"...

I all-of-a-sudden had a bug up my butt to insulate, drywall, and seal the garage floor before I start the MJ. So far, I have over half of the exterior walls insulated, and will move on to drywall once I am done with those. I am waiting on the attic ladder before I insulate and floor the attic.

Rob L.

Its not really hard.. you just have to create a box frame for the stairs and make sure to attach it well to the other joists.

X2. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The bottom of your trusses are in tension. As long as you secure the stairwell unit in there well enough to essentially make it perform as PART of the truss for tensile loading, you should be fine.

When my Dad put the one in our garage back home he put it on the garage wall that connected the house to the garage... :dunno:

Rob,

Here is how to get rid of your ZJ. http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/1412199570.html

You get rid of the ZJ and end up with a running pile of future MJ parts... :dunno:

Umm... no.... Its not a good deal. Rob's truck is in REALLY good shape.

I know. I've seen it. Trades can involve anything though and cash might change hands in the process to make up the difference... In the end its all his call, just thought I'd bring it to his attention image_209027.gif

Talked to him one the phone for about an hour... He doesn't have the money to trade for his '88, but he just picked up another he would be more interested in trading for less money...

'92 XJ

4.0L HO

AW4

6.5" Rough country

Stinger bumpers front and rear

Yakima Rack

33" Mud rovers, almost new...

He is going to send pics today or tomorrow, and I will post with the results... The way I look at it, if I get cash on top, there is a guy selling a 2.5L MJ 4x4 for $1000 I would jump on for a DD.

Rob L.