Almost Ruined My Day

Drahcir495

It was a very hot today and I had been working on the MJ all morning. I decided to move it half way into the garage to take advantage of the shade while having some of the sun light coming in through the rear window. About an hour ago I finished up my last splice and put the lower dash valance back on. Last thing to go on was the ash tray. The stuff I had in the ash tray got shuffled around and pinned my garage door opener in a corner. Can you see where this is headed? I went to un-jam it and you guessed it; I hit the button :grrrr: . I can't tell you exactly what happened next. I think I hit the button again but I am not sure. I found myself ready to sacrifice my body to save the MJ. Long story short - it hit the roof of the cab and kept going. I was quickly underneath it pushing it back up. Boy was I afraid to look. Ended up with only minor scrapes and no dents :( . Just thought I would share my :dunce: .

Sounds like it's time to adapt a Homelink sunvisor or wire your remote to a concealed push-button so the remote won't be rattling around in the console or elsewhere and get ya into trouble. :D I did the latter. But don't feel bad Rich. A couple of weeks ago I started backing out of the garage w/o opening the door. :nuts: Soon as I heard the crunching sounds I stopped, but not before putting a couple of small dents in the tailgate. The garage door was an easy fix; just removed the damaged panels and pounded them back out straight w. a rubber mallet. :dunce: :grrrr: The worst part was though the wife saw the whole thing.

The worst part was though the wife saw the whole thing.

Bagged! haha

Thats rough...definately a close one. I've done that before, but with the cat....didn't think she had enough room to get under the door, so I hit the button...as she crawled under it. Not sure how many times I hit the button, but it went up again, and she wasn't flat. I guess it worked out :dunno:

Glad to hear no major damage.

I learned years ago never to park partially under an open garage door. Did it once and the wife comes home drives in beside my truck and paying no attention hits the button. It neatly put a crack in the center of my canopy. Was it her fault, oh hell no, I was stupid for parking there. GRrrrrrr. Oh well I got even just a couple months ago when I backed out an nailed her caddy. Tee-hee.

Great, never thought about the wife hitting the remote, or the mother-in-law hitting the wall mounted button :hmm: . I know that there is not enough room in the garage, so I won't be able to work on it without the jeep partially hanging out of the garage. I will just have to disconnect the door with that safety release lever. That way nobody can lower the door - problem solved if I can stick to it :dunno:

there are garage door sensors that you set up on either side of the door, its a beam that goes from one side into a sensor on the other side. any break in the beam results in a stop of the door going down, and it will usually go back in the the open position. pretty neat stuff, very good if you have cats or similar things that sneak in, or a truck in the way. :) that way if the beam is not already broken, then you can put your foot in front of it or something to stop it.

http://www.garagedooropenerguide.com/ga ... ensor.html

I'v got the sensors on my door, but, they ain't worth a darn unless your in the garage & near the door when someone else hits the button. Although I have on ocassion thrown a tool along the floor & out the door in attempts to reverse the door. :dunce:

• 3 weeks later...
Great, never thought about the wife hitting the remote, or the mother-in-law hitting the wall mounted button :hmm: . I know that there is not enough room in the garage, so I won't be able to work on it without the jeep partially hanging out of the garage. I will just have to disconnect the door with that safety release lever. That way nobody can lower the door - problem solved if I can stick to it :dunno:

I know what you saying, last winter i had to replace axle seals in the D30 when it was 30*F. I had half the truck in the garage trying to stay warm at 3am on a school night :grrrr:

We have the samething on our doors it just put the broom in front of the senser never had a problem

I will be doing that from now on :thumbsup:

I know what you saying, last winter i had to replace axle seals in the D30 when it was 30*F. I had half the truck in the garage trying to stay warm at 3am on a school night :grrrr:

I do it too keep out of the sun and heat. Can't imagine even leaving my bed at 30*F, let alone working on my MJ :bowdown: .

Glad everything is OK Rich. As I was reading, I had visions of major reapirs to be done to the MJ...

Thanks, but I about pulled a "Ben" and shart myself on that one. Everything will be fine after {if} I get a paint job. :cheers: