Engine swap?

Its not the same motor. The Comanche would have the AMC 2.5l, sharing basically only the displacement with the Chevy motor. Jeep had previously used a Pontiac 2.5l in the CJ series, but the GM 4-cyl never made it into XJ/MJ's. Jeep stopped using the GM 4-cyl in 1984. The 2.8l Chevy V-6 was in the 84-86 XJ's and 86 MJ's, were dropped for the far superior 4.0l Jeep motor beginning in 1987.

So the difficulty would start the same place any other 'non-like' kind swap would be. Motor mounts, tranny adapters, fuel delivery, engine control functions would all have to be addressed at the beginning.

Getting a good Jeep motor is almost always a better solution, from a simplicity stand point. You may be able to trade the Chevy truck to a salvage yard for a parts XJ. Most of the parts would be a direct swap from the XJ to the MJ.

As swaps go a complete PITA with no payoff.

If you want to go through the trouble to put something with a Chevy bellhousing into a Jeep, go for a 4.3 or 350, you'll be better off in the long run.

MJs and XJs are so cheap, however, it would be a better idea to buy an MJ with a 4.0 already in it and not worry about science projects.

I'm changing out a 2.5L in mine to a 4.0L out of a XJ and its a pain in the sack..pull all wiring harness, mounts, I decided to just swap the dash to save some time...and reconnect a few plugs that don't match between the two for lighting and such...its a pain in the @$$.....I hate fuel injection....had i swapped in a 350 I'd be done by now and have it running..

Many gas stations in the states have it, mostly for BBQ grilles and RV's.

Popular with CJ's around here.

We get it from Farm Supply. But if they are closed, most of the hardware stores here have bottle exchanges. Very few still have fill tanks. The gas stations have bottle exchanges only. And noone except Farm Supply or the propane distributor stocks any bottles bigger than 20lb grill bottles.

whowey, where you at in IL? What farm supply store do you have near you?

I'm up in Ogle county, in the NW corner of the state.

We fill at the local FS dealer, they sell all the consumables on a farm.

Unfortunately I live in town, so I can't have a large tank on my property.

I paid .65 a pound, last time. But I know that the price is up now. We just paid .73 a gallon at work for the forklift tanks, so it is going to be about 85 or 90 cents a pound.

87 octane is $2.49 a gallon, but E85 is 1.95

...and then inject it with propane :D

Isn't propane inconvenient in the states? Here probably ever 3rd gas station has it. I heard from a dude with an RV on propane that he had trouble finding places to gas up, and had to wait outside BBQ stores and crap.

The MJ isn't my primary trail rig, and far from my DD, so it isn't a big deal.

I have 2 forklift tanks, and will probably get a couple more as spares, but for my uses, the two tanks are more than enough