Rear Axles

Spring pads and shock mounts are wrong. but it NO BIGGIE!!!

Find a buddie with a welder or rent one...Remove old perches, clean up area where they where. Install axle with perches loose on tube. Adjust your pinion angle, TACK WELD perches in place and move and weld....done!!

CW

8.8... I've always thought about getting an 8.8. I have 4:10 gears now, and I believe 8.8s are pretty common in that gearing. How much narrower is it? If I remember correctly its only about .5 inch narrower per side. Much stronger too.

spring perches... Yeah, I was planning on just welding on new ones. Question: can you take off the old ones with an angle grinder with cutting wheels? Thats the best cutting tool I have at the moment.

How about this?

http://www.rocky-road.com/comanche.html

Bolton Rear SOA setup. Rocky Road is the king of bolton SOA systems for any Jeep or other offroad vehicle. We bring this engineering expertise to the Comanche with our unique and bombproof bolton system. Our spring pads 'key' into your existing spring pads under the axle so you cannot mess up your driveline angles. Our SOA springpads are also extra long in design to help combat spring wrap.

New Ubolt system and spring plates. No need to worry about salvaging those rusted old Ubolts. Our kit comes with a complete new axle bolt system for the rear SOA setup.

I am thinking about this setup. Does anyone know anthing about this?

I know its not much but the old perches are going to hang down and could cause clearance issues.IMO but thats not to say its a bad setup. I kinda like it its the same concept of the ubolt eliminators but its not helping clearance like they do.

Cole

the 1966 through 1971 8 3/4 mopar rear ends work pretty well in these trucks. I am currently running an 8 3/4 out of a 1966 Dodge D100 1/2 ton I added an Auburn mini spool and 3:91 gears out of a 70 charger. A little bit of everything in true AMC fashion.

the 1966 through 1971 8 3/4 mopar rear ends work pretty well in these trucks. I am currently running an 8 3/4 out of a 1966 Dodge D100 1/2 ton I added an Auburn mini spool and 3:91 gears out of a 70 charger. A little bit of everything in true AMC fashion.

What is the width difference from stock if any?

Cole

Now, on the Comanche you have a listed distance of 1208mm between the outsides of the spring pockets with a tolerance of 1.5mm.

On the Cherokee it is listed as being 888.96mm from C to C of the framerails. Then, there's a farther 151.52mm on each side to account for the spring pocket. Thus, 2(151.52) + 888.96 = 1192mm.

Meaning, there's only an 16mm difference in width. (I was wrong before) That is, however, pretty neglible. Seeing as how it's only about 5/8th of an inch between both sides.

So, Bountyhunter, you were right, and I was too lazy to look up my old crap to confirm that.

Anyways, no put bolting a wimpy XJ axle in anyways, so who cares.

How about this?

http://www.rocky-road.com/comanche.html

Bolton Rear SOA setup. Rocky Road is the king of bolton SOA systems for any Jeep or other offroad vehicle. We bring this engineering expertise to the Comanche with our unique and bombproof bolton system. Our spring pads 'key' into your existing spring pads under the axle so you cannot mess up your driveline angles. Our SOA springpads are also extra long in design to help combat spring wrap.

New Ubolt system and spring plates. No need to worry about salvaging those rusted old Ubolts. Our kit comes with a complete new axle bolt system for the rear SOA setup.

I am thinking about this setup. Does anyone know anthing about this?

Great for stock MJ D35 rear axles but little else... For this discussion they are talking axles from another vehicle in wich case that bolt on kit would not be desirable.

Would replacing the D35 with the explorer setup be considered the most expedient replacement?

From what I gather their is no bolt up options for the MJ and everyone seems to point to the explorer axle as the way to go for a quick and reasonable replacement.

Is it the closest center to center for perches or is it just the least to hassle with when fabricating a replacement?

It's the stongest, most readily available axle out there that will closely match the front axle. They are all over the place, have disk brakes (96-02), common Jeep gear ratios, and a 5-on4.5" wheel bolt pattern.

Every single non-MJ axle out there will require moving the perches.