Rear Axles

I should point out it is VERY easy to have an axle setup to go in a truck. When I did my 8.8 I couldn't weld, so all I did was take the axles and the perches down to the local machine shop and said to weld 'em on at a 42" centre-centre and have the pinion angled 6* up. It wasn't the cheapest way, granted, but it was basically hassel free.

Would replacing the D35 with the explorer setup be considered the most expedient replacement?

From what I gather their is no bolt up options for the MJ and everyone seems to point to the explorer axle as the way to go for a quick and reasonable replacement.

Is it the closest center to center for perches or is it just the least to hassle with when fabricating a replacement?

The Exploder axle requires welding on spring perches, AND doing something to adapt for the fact that it's narrower overall (wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface). If you run OEM Jeep rims on an Exploder axle, the tires will be rubbing the spring leaves and the inside of the wheel wells. You have to either run spacers, or use rims with less backspacing (which, if used on all four corners, then creates other problems in the front).

IMHO I rank the Exploder rear as about #4 in desireability. #1, of course, is a rare MJ Dana 44. #2 is an XJ Dana 44, which is the correct width and requires only flipping the perches (or relocating them if you intend to go SOA). #3 IMHO is a late model XJ Chrysler axle. It will also be the correct overall width, and while not quite as strong as a Dana 44 it's a lot stronger than a Dana 35 -- about equal, in fact, to an Exploder axle.

The Exploder axle requires welding on spring perches, AND doing something to adapt for the fact that it's narrower overall (wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface). If you run OEM Jeep rims on an Exploder axle, the tires will be rubbing the spring leaves and the inside of the wheel wells. You have to either run spacers, or use rims with less backspacing (which, if used on all four corners, then creates other problems in the front).

IMHO I rank the Exploder rear as about #4 in desireability. #1, of course, is a rare MJ Dana 44. #2 is an XJ Dana 44, which is the correct width and requires only flipping the perches (or relocating them if you intend to go SOA). #3 IMHO is a late model XJ Chrysler axle. It will also be the correct overall width, and while not quite as strong as a Dana 44 it's a lot stronger than a Dana 35 -- about equal, in fact, to an Exploder axle.

You don't HAVE to do anything about the width of an Explorer axle, running one on my MJ with no spacers and no problems. Granted I had to use aftermarket rims because OEM rims hit the calipers (tires didn't hit the leaf springs).

I would put the 8.8 first on desireable swaps if doing a SOA, 2nd only to the MJ D44 if you're staying SUA.