JOMJ87 (Cole) MJ project

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint came out good, it looks like a dang military vehicle. Looking at your tailgate pic I noticed your handle. You had better get some grease inside that thing cause thats what mine looked like just before it rusted through and broke off on me.

I have used evry single kind of wal-mart spray paint to stop that rust but it don't seem to be stoping so I have decided to take some JB weld and a piece of decently thick sheet metal And I am going to see if I can rivet it over top of the handle with some JB weld underneath to help otu. ;) Should hold for awhile then and then I might get me a new tailgate cause mine is worped really bad.

Anyway thanks for the comments glad everyone think the wal-mart camo looks so good.

Cole

• 3 weeks later...

OK I turned this paint thread into my project thread so Here is the Latest....I finished my Bumper "for now" caus ei need to cut some out of it. I also mounted my fog lights in the grill so they are protected from trees that might run into my bumper.

I used 3/16 steel channel that was 5x2 and cut slits in it to bend the ends back to meet the contour of the body. Then I made some mounts the are temporary till I get back home to finish it the way I want this summer. The reason I went ahead and put it on is cause I destroyed my stock one awhile back on a trip through the woods and I was warned earlier this week not to be back on the road until I had a bumper. OK OK here's the pics::::: :D

Cole

Here is what I plan on cutting and the blue is a possible Hitch/frame crossmember/steering box brace Idea I have. :nuts:

Free at a spot on base that had some extra and alot of it but they also have plenty of sch 40/80 tube. Thats what I made my tube doors from and I am going t get some more for other odd stuff. I also got 2 4x8 sheets of aluminium to use for diff stuff. anyways I plan on changeing a few things hopefully I can get a hydralic press access this summer since I know what shop has one on base And i have a friend who works there and I'm going to bend the middle alittle so it fits the body better. I already did cut and bend the ends of it so I think the middle would make it look real sharp.

Cole

The steel bent pretty easy concidering the slits I cut in it. My only issue was getting the the same and all. The reason I didnt do it to the center yet is because the slit method makes a semi sharp style bend and I would like it to slope alittle. The metal I had was the good stuff to it wasnt the stamped. The corners are almost a 1/2" thick I pushed over a 700 pound lookout tower this morning with the end of it and Had no issues. So I fill pretty good about it so far.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

I knew you were going to see this and post soon. I couldnt get that thing in the car so its still in NC. Hopefully I can get it when I return. This will be my last week in the states. :cry: Now all projects are on hold.

BTW I have mounted some new lights on the rig and gotten rear flares from a TJ to match my front but as I said No working on it till i get back. Would post pics But I have no time to take them.

Cole

yea that sucks alot man, I'm gonna be pulling off the bent up stock bed and plating the rear unibody soon, and I'm also trying to buy some 35'' bfg crawlers off of a guy on usjeeps.com, i didnt even know they came in 35's lol, anyway ill try to get some pics up soon

• 1 month later...

OK I know I am not working on the MJ at this time but I did order the Gears and master Install kits for it today so As soon as i return to the states i will have a new set of yukon 4.88s front and rear and then if My buddy can find a 91-95 XJ with a good 4.0 and all the essetials for a motor swap i will have a newish 2.5 thgat only has around 40k on it from a 91 yj. So its looking good for the MJs new heart and feet. If anyone knows of an XJ with the parts needed for a swap and a 4.0 in SC/NC area please let me know.

Cole

• 3 months later...

OK the rear is in. I have painted it but after a few close calls to it and the truck falling I am going to need some touch up. It came a bad storm so i have a few things to button up tomm. but all is looking great except my D-Shaft i am going to need to shorten it back up. I think i will be happy with the new 4.88s to. The brakes were a pain cause i have to clean so so much grease off. I spent 6.5 hours on it today making sure everything was good. Also the axle has all new seals and bearings so it should be set until i break it if that ever happens. Next i will do the front and the uppers will be put on then also. then i am doing an enterior swap while i wait for the motor i am getting to be ready to get put in. I got alot of work to do before mid august but i chould get it done then i will have pics from Gulches ORV park and hopefully some of yall can join me. I will post pics of everything i can tomm.

Cole

Well i know that one was a CB cause the antena wire was recently fetched out and it was no radio one. I need to plug that hole though thanks for reminding me.

OH and i just finished my Uppers and they will get paint tomm. ill take some pics. I will not be putting it in until early in the week. along with my new 4.88 D30 :brows:

Cole

Here are the arms i done up to go in the jeep. total cost for the arms were around $80 and that was mostly the RE joints. My dad had the threaded rod and i had the tube and plate. they turned out amazing. They are made from like 5/8ths tube and i think that the plate was like 5/8ths but I'm can't recall. Tell me what you think

Cole

Awesome job! jamminz.gif

The only thing I see is that you may consider another nut on there to lock the tube once you get it at the right lenght. This will prevent the RE joints from getting cockeyed in the mount bracket. Just my .02's.

:cheers:

I have locknuts they just werent on in the pics. I really think they might be stronger then the RE ones. I may even use a similar design when i go long arm for the lowers. I am very happy with them. If they werent as big of pain as they are to make i would consider doing some up and selling them to the club members but they took about 16 hours to full up and do complete. I thought they would be easy but i had never ran a tap 8"s up pipe and also a tap that size. It took 2 hours or more for each just to tap them. :eek:

Cole

cole, they look great. and all you need to tap them and save time is a small lathe ;) and some machinist oil. don't wanna burn it up...

how did you set them up for the retainer clip? the only way I can think of it is a lathe...but my mind is set on a machinsts shop that I have access to.