JOMJ87 (Cole) MJ project

Awesome job! jamminz.gif

The only thing I see is that you may consider another nut on there to lock the tube once you get it at the right lenght. This will prevent the RE joints from getting cockeyed in the mount bracket. Just my .02's.

:cheers:

I agree, it's the design fault on the Rusty's Lowers... They have the jam nuts on the uppers though. I think thats why Rusty's is known to "clunk". They also use a massive thread on rusty's lowers, so a Jam nut may be kind of hard to find for me...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know the thread count and pitch i can see if my dad has them at his Shop. I am more excited that everything will be sitting right after I'm done. As of now I'm at 7+" and i still am running stock uppers. :oops: Which has cause me to not have exact location on the axle. Plus I am putting in 4.88s. Hopefully that will go in Mon. with the arms.

Also Tomm i am going to pull the 2.5 Motor and all the esentials for a Motor swap from the YJ. That is going to go in after My wifes Sis has her baby since i don't have anything to drive to work if the wife leaves when that happens. But then that leaves alot still to do before my wife has our baby. Tight time line there. on a good note the MJ will go back to having less then 40,000 miles on the motor 60,000 or so on the Trans and T-case and a completely rebuilt set of Axles including the rear D44 i just put in. I think it should be reliable enough to drive to the 4wheeling places that are 3-4 hours away like Gulches ORV and Tellico. :cheers: . So we can start the countdown to needing to be finished with 10 weeks from Fri if she goes to her due date. :eek:

Cole

If you have a thread centered at 0, and another centered at one inch, the count is 6 total threads. they are flat (not sharp threads), and probably 1/8" deep. First time Ive seen this coarse of a thread. I'll try to get a picture when I have time in the garage again. Jam nuts would be very helpful though.

Threads are like this:

-0"-------------------1"

\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

_1 _2 _ 3 _4 _5 _6

looking at the bottom to best represent the flat parts.

Hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks

Ill see what i can do. Ill PM as soon as i find anything out.

Cole

Oh, and they are like probably about 1" to 1-1/16" wide for the width of the "bolt" I'll get better measurements tomorrow or monday with a micrometer. and some pictures.

Thanks,

Joel

Yeah thanks and ill wait for the pics. I casme back to ask the size and seen you had replied. If you can email the pics and specs to me i will PM my email to you. I will try to see if he has anything that will work.

Cole

Cole

Oh, and they are like probably about 1" to 1-1/16" wide for the width of the "bolt" I'll get better measurements tomorrow or monday with a micrometer. and some pictures.

Thanks,

Joel

It's 1.5 ACME thread. Here are the jam nuts:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... _Code=ARMS

Cole

Thanks,

Joel

It's 1.5 ACME thread. Here are the jam nuts:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... _Code=ARMS

Holy over priced batman!

Thats quite a bit of money to ask for two measley jam nuts... A**holes at rustys seem to be greedy...

Hopefully Monday after work. I'm nervous to do it during the week now cause The wife had to go back to NC with our only other car so if i run into a snag with the axle going in i will have to ride my Bike to work. :mad: But i think i will go for it. With her not here i can work until the Cops some by and tell me I'm to loud and then some. :D I guess ill go for it and ill take some pics of them installed. everyone thats seen them thinks they are the tuffest looking ones they have ever seen so i guess ill start the plan to make a long arm kit for it. jamminz.gif using that design.

Cole

On a second note>>> I pulled the YJ motor today with my the guys that owns it. and I'm so happy at what i found. The harness isnt going to be hard at all. I am going to run aftermarket gauges in the stock location (sort of) and make a custom dash bezel. I am also going to redo all the radio wires and such in a lume??SP?? like the should be and also run my fog lights and doodads on stock wires and switches. Something real amazing is how simple the harness is. hell even the lights are totally seperate from the rest. I can adapt the changes i need and it should get done with only a week of work. I will not start this for about a month but after that its Gulches time then in Jan or so i am heading to Tellico if it rides the Interstate as well as it should. Oh here is a pic of the complete harness minus the lights.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

Ok its been a week and its still not right. I spent 4 days so far after work till 10:00pm at night working out some issues and still I'm haunted. I finished it last weds night and took it for a spin Thurs after work and as some of you might have read i Had DW. Not bad DW but none is a good thing. It turns out the mesurements that were suposed to be close that i recieved off 3 diff sources on the web were WAY off. My uppers were about an inch short. so last night i adjusted them which in turn took about 2 hours cause i couldnt find my angle finder so i ended up using a adjustable level and trying to match the pinion to the output of the Tcase. Well today i drove to work and noticed a great improvement but when i got out and check i could see the tires still didnt sit right. So i looked over it all and realized I adjusted to much. SO needless to say i wasnt happy but i expected it. I went today and bought a new degree finder and tomm. on my day off i will have it right or i will nuke the truck. I have had every issue you could have with this front axle including braking a bolt off and having to fetch it out. I have had soem bad luck doing any work to my MJ so far but hopefully i can get out of the slump soon. I spent this past weekend shooting my Pistol and after 1200 rounds a 5 hours at the range i felt alot better. I will post more soon and i am getting ready to start some other small Projects along with the motor. Ill post info and a To DO list Tomm.

Cole

TRUCK BROKE FOR GOOD.... Well i got what sounds like a bad bearing or pulley or water pump or something in the front that sounds like its flying apart in front of me. Sooooo the motor swap will begin next week. This week i have to find time to pull out and ship some stuff for some guys on here. I have been doing 3 peoples jobs at work cause they are new and got threw into something without any help. SO i havent even got to touch any jeep stuff. But i am tomm. or thurs depending on craziness. I will take lots of pics of the motor swap and go step by step with a full in depth write up since i have never ever found or heard of one. Wish me luck

Cole

• 2 months later...

UPDATE::: I have a new to me 1991 motor in and the tranny with new clutch back in. Its been Hell the past 2 nights but i got in bolted up. I am looking to have the harness adapted tommorrow. Hopefully it will run if i can get the wires ran i need to. I may throw the dash in and the exhaust (well to the hollow cat) and drive it to work friday. All that will be left is making all the confort items work and the gauges if they don't get fixed with the harness. I got alot to do still but i think i can finish by next week. I am sick of not driving the beast around any so that ha to end soon. Here is my left to do list....

-Clutch line connection on slave cylinder

-Bleed clutch

-exauhst

-rear D-shaft and front if i can get one made

-wires for ignition, fuel, heater, and wipers since they were partially eliminated out of the harness with the change

-headlight bezels and all the lights and grill

-radiator

-dash

-radio rewire

This is whats left for it to be done motor wise with the swap. I also need to finish tweaking the front axle pinion angle and get a D-shaft done up for the front. I may need new balljoints up front too. Theres alot of smaller projects that will need to be done before Late Oct early Nov. for the inagural run on the new D44 and Motor and 4.88s. Then to tellico in the early part of the year. Luckily a buddy is headed over the ocean so i get to whatch his 06 Titan and he agreed to me using it as a tow rig so long as the i put a lift on for him. Sounds great to me so we will see how the next few days flow.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

Its ALIVE. I drove it around the block last night. Ran good for having 3 Vac leaks. Still have to finish some small stuff and rebleed the brakes but I have to go back to work at 1130 tonight so i don't know when it will get done. Hopefully it is driving and stretable by Sat. even though it might not be completely finished. Now that my Motor is in i think i will be happy for awhile not working on it but i Have some issues to take care of before i go wheeling and hopefully i can find a bench seat and get my new rear window in. Little projects from now on hopefully.

Cole

• 1 month later...

I am done Except for adding my front locker and D-shaft. I also am going to put a HD ignition system in. I kinda feel bad that i am almost DONE so i have been contiplating repainting it but a Charcoal with black decals and star with the same design. I am nuts but I can't just stop now. OH and my heat aint working because i didnt get all the wire harness attached so i can try to get it going cause its cold this time a year. I will get pics of everything and try to get them up. If i had alot more pics i would post a DIYs on the Motor and harness transformation plus some of it isnt up to mosts standards but i trust it to work and function for 10 more years. Look for pics and updates coming at you.

Cole

Everything runs great. I have some cleaning up of the harness to do so that i don't have an extra C101 or whatever its called connector. Its more or less functions like its stock. I wanted to go aftermarket with the gauges so i only messed around and got the gas working but i COULD have the stockers working in a few min if i wanted them. The hardest part was to move the wires on the C101 connector to different slots. It was tedious but my gas mileage doubled :eek: from the old TBI setup so i am happy with it. Its does have a studder in the throttle on intial blip liekk when you first push the peddle but i am thinking its the air filter i have on it right now. I need a 92 MJ or XJ intake setup for it. I will take pics tonight and explain some more stuff.

Cole

Well thats where it gets tuff. I only drove the MJ with 4.88s about 2 weeks and the fan clutch broke so i started the swap early. I think its better then the TBI by a bit but it wasnt like a incredible jump. OH and i ran out of day light on the way home from work so i will get the pics hopefully tomorow if i get off befroe dark. My favorite thing about this Swap was I have learned the one thing i was scared to death of and that was the Wiring harness. Before this swap i couldnt read schematics at all. I am more of a engine and Metal working hobiest But i had installed car audio systems in high school for extra cash so i went for it with the harness and learned alot. Ill get those pics tomorow.

Cole