Chrysler 8.25"

I was going to look for a Ford 8.8 this summer (or earlier if I need it) to replace my D35, but I may have come across a Chrysler 8.25" 29 spline axle out of a 99 XJ. It says complete except shock mounts, and it's only 10 miles from my house.

Assuming it has the correct gearing, would this be good enough to handle 33s and eventually get an Aussie in it, or still too weak?

How worried should I be about the C clips with this axle and 33" tires?

How much do you guys think it's worth?

The Ford 8.8 is also a C-clip axle, so that's a wash. The Mopar axle will be the correct width, so that's a plus. Shock mounts don't matter because the MJ shock mounts are on the spring plates.

Personally, I'd choose the Mopar over the Ford just to avoid having to use spacers. Gotta be worth a couple of hundred if it has the right gears.

The Ford 8.8 is also a C-clip axle, so that's a wash. The Mopar axle will be the correct width, so that's a plus. Shock mounts don't matter because the MJ shock mounts are on the spring plates.

Personally, I'd choose the Mopar over the Ford just to avoid having to use spacers. Gotta be worth a couple of hundred if it has the right gears.

As usual, EAGLE has given it to you straight!!! GO BUY THAT CRYCO 8.25!!!!!

CW

I had a 29 spline 8.25 in my 2000 XJ. I ran it with several different setups, but for the most part I had 35" Krawlers on it with 4:56 gears and a full Detroit locker. I pounded the piss out of that thing and it never gave me any hassle. The shafts are only a hair thinner than a D44. I'd get one again in a heartbeat if the price was right and I actually needed one.

I just put one in mine last weekend, so far I am very happy with it. If you have found one GET IT!!! I ended up only finding a 27 spline, then getting new shafts/gears (4.10s, so I had to get new front gears too) and having a buddy regear them and help out with the install. So far, it has been way worth it. I love the 4.10 gears but now I need to get some 33's because its a little too much gear for my 28's on the highway (3000 rpm at 65 in 5th) but the acceleration is better than stock. Now is a good time to go SOA while you have the spring perches off of it anyway. As for shocks with SOA I went with Monroe 31000 that I got from http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/MJRearShock.htm

I picked it up about 90 minutes ago.

3.55 gears, which means it will work with my current front axle.

$100 even!

I've got a 27 spline... but I offered my brother a "fluid and gasket change" and if he goes for it I just may have my 29 spline axles and spiders :brows:

yup, even if you only get a 27 spline now you can always find a 29 spline complete axle later(and just take the spider gear and axles), there are lots of people who ditch em in favor of something else so they can be had pretty cheap.

What's all this talk about 27 spine? I paid $100 for a 29 spline axle.

I don't know, you would figure that since there are so many 29 spline 8.25's floating around for almost free that you would never have to settle for a 27 spline.

What's all this talk about 27 spine? I paid $100 for a 29 spline axle.

Just for the record: The 29 Spl is definitely stronger, but this axle gets the majority of its strength from its very stout case and large axle tubes. A lessor amount from its good sized bearings and lastly larger 29 Spl shafts. The comments from other posters, in other threads in the past, proclaiming that the 8.25" 27 Spl axle is only slightly stronger than a D35 is total HOGWASH!!! Even with "only" 27 Spl, this axle is a GREAT upgrade and much stronger than a D35 axle. IMHO, this confusion comes from a lack of knowledge. many conclude that the D35 has 27 Spl and is considered weak, so a 27 Spl 8.25 must also be weak.... :shake:

Also as mentioned, simply swapping out side gears and axle shafts you can make any 8.25 a 29 Spl axle. Only last thing, don't forget the 8.25 also contains the dreaded "C" Clips, obviously, making the hole thing a weak, P.O.S. NOT!!! :shake: :shake: :shake:

As I see it, there are a couple draw backs to this axle.

1) Limited availability to aftermarket traction devices.

2) Only available up to 4:56 gears.

3) A bit higher overall costs on these parts.

IMHO, its an excellent choice for what we do with our trucks. You made a good buy and a very good axle.

CW

You would think that there are lots of those things out there, and there are, but not a lot for sale from what I've found. It took me a long time trying to find a 29 spline before I settled for the 27 spline and payed for the re-gear. If I had a longer time frame to get the axles done I probably would have waited until I found one to swap it in. But overall, the 4.10s have made it worth every penny for me.

EDIT:Also, as far as it being a C clip axle is concerned; as long as you carry a spare axle shaft with you on trail runs there is nothing to worry about IMO.

Question: On the 8.25, is the passenger side shaft the same length/dimensions as the driver shaft. Should I carry both a driver and a passenger spare with me on trail runs? Or are they interchangeable?

Question: On the 8.25, is the passenger side shaft the same length/dimensions as the driver shaft. Should I carry both a driver and a passenger spare with me on trail runs? Or are they interchangeable?

It's not like the D44, both sides are the same length.

And as far as why I would settle for a 27 spline.. one, it was practically free, I couldn't find a D44 or 29 spline 8.25 for practically free, and I knew that I could do SOA right away and very easily upgrade down the road. I also have another set of axles (4.10 D30/27 spline 8.25) for my 2.5 and I doubt I'll bother to get the 29 spline stuff for it unless one of two things happens;

I get the 29 spline stuff for free, in which case they would probably be trail spares, or

I manage to break the 27 spline on 4.10s with a 2.5 and 225/75R15 tires.

How exactly do you go about switching to the 29 spline axles? (OE ones or aftermarket) I know you need new side gears, does that necesitate having a pro set up the whole thing again?? (sorry for the lack of terminology, haven't gotten this far in school yet)

I'm really interested in getting an Aussie eventually, as it is evidently simple for the non-pro to install. Just want to know what i'm getting into.