Feeling crazy: John Deere Yellow paint for the MJ?

So I saw a Solar Yellow XJ on the road this week, and I have always liked the XJ in yellow. I was thinking about my MJ, which is in BAD need of paint to begin with. I was planning to repaint it in the original dark red, with JD Blitz Black down low (like the early 90's XJ Sport models). I was also going to paint my mirrors, bumpers, grille, drip rails, etc. with the Blitz Black.

Now that I think about the MJ, I sort-of feel like doing something crazy with it and painting it with the John Deere Yellow, as it is a similar (hard) enamel product, like the Blitz Black (but glossy).

Factors:

The MJ is a project vehicle, and will never be my daily driver (I use it just for tooling around town.). I don't know that I would ever have a yellow vehicle as my DD, so this may be my chance to have a yellow vehicle.

I will never sell it, as it has great sentimental value to me, so killing resale with a color-change is a non-issue.

My daughter LOVES yellow cars. Sure, she is only 2, but she loves trucks (particularly this one) and loves yellow cars.

Doing the door jambs, between the bed and the cab, etc. is not an issue, as I can afford the downtime. I thought about doing the underhood and the space between the cab i and the bed in blitz black, no matter what color I use on the main body.

Pitfall:

I may get sick of it.

Thoughts?

Any pictures of Yellow MJs?

yellow? sure.

but not john deere yellow.

john deere's are garbage. every one we've had needed 10 times more work than any massey harris/massey ferguson we ever had....and they were a good 20 years OLDER.

John Deere's you just pay for the green and yellow paint...and you pay for the comanches for better reasons (because it's actually worth it). so choose a different yellow and be happy with it :D

why not yellow? what's wrong with yellow? i think it's a timeless color. there's been yellow cars since the 60's and they're still around.

i've always wanted a yellow car.

I like yellow too.

it's just that john deere's suck...so I'd find a yellow not associated with crappy machinery :D

why not yellow? what's wrong with yellow?

Some people feel the negative connotation of yellow is enough to keep it off their vehicles. :dunno:

What is the negative connotation of yellow? Does it make people think of bees?

Image Not Found

Seeing this makes me REALLY want the truck in yellow. I am still torn as to whether to paint the lower doors/bed black (a la the 90s XJ Sports) or to do all yellow like the truck above. I do really like the black flares, regardless.

My other thought is about the grille. I have seen some body-colored grilles that looked really good, and some that make it look like an import wanna-be.

I need some photoshop skills!

I LOVE this thread. I have been planning to do the exact same thing to my MJ. I've done a little research and it seems like the Valspar tractor paint is the way to go. Its super tough and cheap. A quart is about $15 at Tractor Supply.

I plan to sand the whole truck, fill dents and stuff with body filler, sand again, prime with the Valspar tractor primer, sand, and shoot three or four coats. Should be about $100 for the whole thing.

This is my inspiration:

Image Not Found

Some people feel the negative connotation of yellow is enough to keep it off their vehicles. :dunno:

Yellow is taken to imply cowardly.

See #9 here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yellow?qsrc=2888

Wait a second... Not yellow, but yeller.. yeller is to imply cowardice..

ie; You'some yeller anit ya boy,, or I'some anit no yeller sumbeach...

yellow? sure.

john deere's are garbage. every one we've had needed 10 times more work than any massey harris/massey ferguson we ever had....and they were a good 20 years OLDER.

John Deere's you just pay for the green and yellow paint...and you pay for the comanches for better reasons (because it's actually worth it). so choose a different yellow and be happy with it :D

DUDE, John Deers are green so they can hide in the grass when a real tractor comes by.

yellow? sure.

DUDE, John Deers are green so they can hide in the grass when a real tractor comes by.

Like a kubota?

Wait a second... Not yellow, but yeller.. yeller is to imply cowardice..

ie; You'some yeller anit ya boy,, or I'some anit no yeller sumbeach...

Just because it’s mispronounced doesn’t make it so. :rotfl2: