1992/1999 Mj Project

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I stopped in a week couple weeks ago to deliver the replacement rocker. The replacement was tapered and looked correct in comparison to the C2C junk we tried to make work. The doors were fitted and in primer. He found bondo in the passenger door but removed it and pulled the metal into shape. New strikers were installed as well. The doors shut soooooo smooth, I was in shock. Nothing like any XJ or MJ I have seen in the past. Still trying to find a set of fenders locally as the set I purchased was full of bondo and missing clips.

He is slow, but does a dang good job. I knew this project would take him a long while as it is very in depth. The truck will come back to me with a show quality finish. I am hopeful that the truck will come home in 2013. The customization is done and following the rocker replacement its just blocking, painting and front/rear window replacement. :)

My fuel plans involve using a 22g Dakota tank in the stock place with a late 90's Dakota sending unit and pump. The Ohm values of empty/full with the Dakota sender are extremely close to the 97+ XJ and should read mostly accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

My fuel plans involve using a 22g Dakota tank in the stock place with a late 90's Dakota sending unit and pump. The Ohm values of empty/full with the Dakota sender are extremely close to the 97+ XJ and should read mostly accurate.

Keep us up to date I wanna know how that turns out!

why not use a 96 xj pump and sender in a non slosh MJ tank? the values ( ohm's ) are the same as a 97-01 sender and it fits in the MJ tank, even has the corect plug for the harness your using.... thats what I'm in the process of working on right now on my GF mj swap.....

why not use a 96 xj pump and sender in a non slosh MJ tank? the values ( ohm's ) are the same as a 97-01 sender and it fits in the MJ tank, even has the corect plug for the harness your using.... thats what I'm in the process of working on right now on my GF mj swap.....

I am not sure how that could work as the MJ sending unit is side mounted while the XJ sending unit is top mounted? Even if the XJ sender could be mounted, the stock MJ fuel tank is much taller than any XJ tank, therefore the pump wouldn't reach the bottom of the tank.

If you have found something that works, feel free to add it to the fuel tank discussion here:

http://comancheclub.com/index.php?/topic/30755-dakota-22-gallon-tank-and-fuel-pump

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well it has been several months since I have been by the body shop. Yesterday I was able to get off work a little early and deliver the last piece of the truck to the body shop, the hood. It turns out that he has been ready for the hood for quite some time.....

Here is the APN rocker fit in place on the passenger side. He told me it fit like a factory replacement would and was worlds better than the C2C rocker. I agree, the fit is excellent and the taper is perfect.

Then there was hooplah with the passenger door. Apparently it was skinned (poorly) at some point and the frame was creased not allowing the gaps at the b-pillar to match. That has been fixed as well as the header panel which has stress fractures. New replacement fenders were purchased as no take offs around here were straight.

Dents and dings were removed from the cab as well.

He told me the truck is now in his way and has had to turn away business because the shop is too full. My MJ is the next project to be pushed out the door :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems I am about a week (or so) out from bringing the truck home. The body shop is waiting for the glass company to install the windshield and 97+ seal. I need to deliver my rear slider to the shop so he can get it glued in place.

The painter himself, waiting for me to finish taking pictures  :laughin:

Looking good but Sad to hear you took the stripes off.... I hope they go back on :banana:

Thanks! I very much dislike the 'splash' stripe. It will stay removed.

:drool:  Damn that looks good! Makes me wish mine was like that!

Thanks bud. I just hope the rest of the build will match the quality of the paint.

I think you've been having your truck painted for as long as I've owned mine.  I'm glad to see that its finally going to be put back together.

I think you are right! Ugh. To be fair, he did put in a lot of time repairing rust, straightening the front unibody frame and inner fender, and rear frame rails. The truck lived in KC and was hit several times according to Carfax. It will be fun putting a rust free truck together.

April 2011 to October 2013..... IT IS BACK!!!

It has been a long time coming, but the results make it oh-so worth it. Today I picked the truck up from the paint shop, drove to the hanger and attached the bed, then drug it across the county to my garage  :bowdown:

Coming along great. I'm a fan of red :thumbsup:

Thanks! I love red Jeeps.

I have ordered some carpet samples so I can pick a gray that will match my headliner and whatever bench seat I find.

Now I am trying to determine how to approach the rear axle disk brakes. I have the ZJ disk parts but haven't been real happy with the way they were fitting on the axle. Plus, they are stock brakes. So, I have been studying various options that would complement the Vanco kit that will go on the front end.

My simple parts list:

- RuffStuff disk brake bracket

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WELD275.html

- '75 Chevy 3/4 ton calipers

- '99 Explorer front vented rotors

Testing out how the large calipers will fit on a smaller 11" Jeep rotor. The explorer rotors are 11.25" and are thicker.

Should produce quality brake performance and a clean installation. No e-brake, but I think a line lock set up would work great out back since there are no safety inspections here in Kansas. :) Plus, the hat ebrake in my TJ seems to need rebuilt every 6 months in order to work....