Where does the water come from (Update...Now Windshield!)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did LOT's of shopping for replacement carpet, and learned that virtually every supplier buys the exact same item from the same mill, with the same quality. I've also heard lot's of complaints about not fitting nearly as well as OEM. Sooo, when I had mine out I first separated the mass backing and dried it thoroughly, then I pressure washed the carpet, then soaked it with enzyme carpet cleaner and scrubbed like hell with a wire brush, then pressure washed it again, and it came out pretty darn good. Took about a week of hot sun to dry it completely, but it sure did fit well. Not sure about the earlier MJ's but mine also had (passenger side only) a thick, vinyl-encapsulated, fiberglass mat to deal with exhaust heat. That was hell to get dry. Ended up taking it out of the wrap, coiling it up, and baking it in the kitchen oven.

I might give this a shot... Mines not really ripped or anything, just dirty and kind of smelly... I can borrow a power washer from a friend... I'll give it a couple scrubs with the power washer and some scrubbing and some serious dry time and we'll see what she looks like before I spend $150+ for something that might not fit that well anyhow...

And then I still have to find the water intrusion spots... I see a little more rust behind the Fuse box under the driver side, so I will start there, although the pass. side was significantly "wetter"...

Here it is now, 1/2 dry in most places...

dsc09405ek0.jpg

I've had really good results using Oil-Eater (available at Costco) on my carpets. One of my MJs has tan carpet. When I bought it I pulled it out because it was the nastiest carpet I've seen and was going to replace it. My wife started cleaning it with Oil-Eater and now it looks almost new.

Subscribing... I just discovered a nice HOLE in my floor :D Probably from a water leak. I'm really considering just tearing out the carpet all together and putting undercoating or truck bed liner in its place. Anyone have any negative experiences with that?

baby powder and a garden hose works wonders for finding those leaks. :D

And

Subscribing... I just discovered a nice HOLE in my floor :D Probably from a water leak. I'm really considering just tearing out the carpet all together and putting undercoating or truck bed liner in its place. Anyone have any negative experiences with that?

As long as you properly repair, prep and POR-15 the floor, the bedliner should work fine. :thumbsup: The carpet does absorb sound and heat, but it shouldn't be that bad without it.

I did LOT's of shopping for replacement carpet, and learned that virtually every supplier buys the exact same item from the same mill, with the same quality. I've also heard lot's of complaints about not fitting nearly as well as OEM. Sooo, when I had mine out I first separated the mass backing and dried it thoroughly, then I pressure washed the carpet, then soaked it with enzyme carpet cleaner and scrubbed like hell with a wire brush, then pressure washed it again, and it came out pretty darn good. Took about a week of hot sun to dry it completely, but it sure did fit well. Not sure about the earlier MJ's but mine also had (passenger side only) a thick, vinyl-encapsulated, fiberglass mat to deal with exhaust heat. That was hell to get dry. Ended up taking it out of the wrap, coiling it up, and baking it in the kitchen oven.

I might give this a shot... Mines not really ripped or anything, just dirty and kind of smelly... I can borrow a power washer from a friend... I'll give it a couple scrubs with the power washer and some scrubbing and some serious dry time and we'll see what she looks like before I spend $150+ for something that might not fit that well anyhow...

And then I still have to find the water intrusion spots... I see a little more rust behind the Fuse box under the driver side, so I will start there, although the pass. side was significantly "wetter"...

Here it is now, 1/2 dry in most places...

dsc09405ek0.jpg

Wade, Never post a picture of a dead guy rolled up in a rug on the internet. If you need a pic of the rug atleast make sure his feet are out of the shot. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Carpet cleaned at the local Carwash...$25 since it was yanked out... Once I think I have a better handle on the leaks, I'll get everything reinstalled...I'm still drying the thick padding on the back, but a few more sunny days and everything should be cool....

BEFORE

dsc09405ek0.jpg

AFTER

dsc09462.jpg

Got my Carpet cleaned at the local Carwash...$25 since it was yanked out... Once I think I have a better handle on the leaks, I'll get everything reinstalled...I'm still drying the thick padding on the back, but a few more sunny days and everything should be cool....

BEFORE

dsc09405ek0.jpg

AFTER

dsc09462.jpg

Oh Yah...I got rid of the Dead guy too!

Got my Carpet cleaned at the local Carwash...$25 since it was yanked out... Once I think I have a better handle on the leaks, I'll get everything reinstalled...

If you haven't already, check the cowl drains.

(Pop off the wipers, and remove the cowl plate, about six small screws. Underneath, there will be a drain hole, about 1" diameter, on each side.)

If they fill up with leaves n crap, the water will puddle up and drain back into the cab. You wouldn't think so, but it can put a LOT of water into the Jeep...

Good luck!

Robert

Got my Carpet cleaned at the local Carwash...$25 since it was yanked out... Once I think I have a better handle on the leaks, I'll get everything reinstalled...

If you haven't already, check the cowl drains.

(Pop off the wipers, and remove the cowl plate, about six small screws. Underneath, there will be a drain hole, about 1" diameter, on each side.)

If they fill up with leaves n crap, the water will puddle up and drain back into the cab. You wouldn't think so, but it can put a LOT of water into the Jeep...

Good luck!

Robert

I had the Cowl plate off today... I didn't see anything that even resembled a drain hole ... there is no-gunk of any kind in the cowl area, but maybe I just don't know what i'm supposed to be looking at.

2 gallons?

Give or take...wasn't an "exact measurement", but I filled my Shop Vac up a couple times and sopped up quite a bit afterwards.... We had about 6" or so of rain over the 3 or 4 days that it was it was parked on the incline of my driveway...

• 2 weeks later...
This is even prettier in "real life" than it looks here... gotta love Cali trucks....I just wanted to share... Getting ready to reinstall everything, maybe this weekend...

Guess you purchased this guy after you left Nebraska? How long have you had it Wade? Looks great! :D

I've never pulled my carpet.............VA truck............maybe I should, no?

This is even prettier in "real life" than it looks here... gotta love Cali trucks....I just wanted to share... Getting ready to reinstall everything, maybe this weekend...

Guess you purchased this guy after you left Nebraska? How long have you had it Wade? Looks great! :D

I've never pulled my carpet.............VA truck............maybe I should, no?

Dec 2007...Did the carfax thing and the MJ always lived within a couple hours of where I'm at now...I think it sat for a while too...per the carfax records, it had like 150K the first 4 years and then only another 55K the next 14 when I bought it...

:fs1:

SW2......I'm going to send you 10 pounds of road salt so you can start experiencing what the rest of us have to deal with :D

Yeah, and make sure you spray it down with some Magnesium Chloride like most of the northeastern states do. Since Wade doesn't experience snow and ice, he won't get the effect of the MagChl acting as a preventative de-icer but at least he'll get the other characteristic of the stuff............rust ACCELERATOR!

Ask me how I know.......... :brows:

:fs1:

SW2......I'm going to send you 10 pounds of road salt so you can start experiencing what the rest of us have to deal with :D

Yeah, and make sure you spray it down with some Magnesium Chloride like most of the northeastern states do. Since Wade doesn't experience snow and ice, he won't get the effect of the MagChl acting as a preventative de-icer but at least he'll get the other characteristic of the stuff............rust ACCELERATOR!

Ask me how I know.......... :brows:

I lived in Nebraska for 25 years... I know about snow and ice.... I was just smart enough to leave...