Will 30s look too small with 1-2" lift? Pics?

I am on the cusp of installing my lift (~2" F&R), but I actually LIKE the look of it at stock height, but I like the look of some other trucks with 1-2" under them. Oddly, my "before" does not necessarily match the look of some other MJs before they were lifted.

Mine, stock height on 30 x 9.50 tires:

I measured out both front and rear at about 19.25-19.5" from the dead center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender arch, understanding that the wheel arches are of slightly different dimensions.

So will 30s look too small with 2" of lift?

This is 4.5" lift and P235/75R15, about equivalent to 29x9.50 or 30x9.50

235's are 28". i think a 30 inch tire would look perfect with a 1-2" lift. i think tires should look like they will "work" rather than look "big". stuffing a tire under a truck that is not functional for the intended purpose, off road. if the truck has too big of tires, they don't allow the suspension to articulate, they rub, they look like you just stuffed them in there. i much prefer a functional look. :chillin:

the tire shouldn't be too big or too small. i think a 29-30" would look "right". it would also be totally functional.

by the way mvusse, i like the look of your combination of lift and tire size. i would think it would be great off road and running around. :thumbsup:

235's are 28".

Don't forget that most 30" tires are actually closer to 29" tall. :D

:agree: yep. that's a very good point. just because it says 30x9.50x15, doesn't mean it's 30" around. and 9.5 isn't the true width, and defenitely not the actual tire footprint. about the only think that is accurate in the 15. :D

This is 4.5" lift and P235/75R15, about equivalent to 29x9.50 or 30x9.50

235's are 28". i think a 30 inch tire would look perfect with a 1-2" lift. i think tires should look like they will "work" rather than look "big". stuffing a tire under a truck that is not functional for the intended purpose, off road. if the truck has too big of tires, they don't allow the suspension to articulate, they rub, they look like you just stuffed them in there. i much prefer a functional look. :chillin:

the tire shouldn't be too big or too small. i think a 29-30" would look "right". it would also be totally functional.

by the way mvusse, i like the look of your combination of lift and tire size. i would think it would be great off road and running around. :thumbsup:

It's okay off road until I get into muddy ruts. All the trucks with larger tires eat down the ruts and by the time I get there I'm sitting on the axles without the tires touching anything solid. And it being a lwb my departure angle sucks, but I have a new rear bumper in the planning that along with the trailer hitch being removed should give me 4" additional clearance out back.

Now back to the original topic...

The math on the 235s say 29", but in reality they measure 28.25" to 28.5" between 3 brands I measured. Most 30s measure anywhere between 29 and 29.5. Not much of a difference. My buddy has 31s and they barely measure 30".

Thanks for the help, guys. I am still waffling on installing the lift. I have already swapped in my new shocks, which should still be fine at stock height. The fronts are .5" longer compressed, and the rears are .75 longer compressed. Both are a lot longer (about 3" extended) to accomodate the lift, if I go that route. I just don't want the tires to look too small in there...

There is no way that 30's will look too small under a 2" lift unless you like the look of a low rider with the oversized tires that fill the wheel well.

Here is mine with 3.5" lift and 31's. I think it's a little too close myself and would rather see a little more tire room, but I'm not lifting it any more.

Now back to the original topic...

The math on the 235s say 29", but in reality they measure 28.25" to 28.5" between 3 brands I measured. Most 30s measure anywhere between 29 and 29.5. Not much of a difference. My buddy has 31s and they barely measure 30".

Yep ... there's very little difference between a 235/75-15 and a 30x9.50-15. The "30" will be a bit wider at the cross section ... but depending on the tires being compared, that may not mean much wider at the tread.

A 235 works out to 9.25 inches of cross-section width. A 9.50 is 9.5" at the cross-section.

A 237/75-15 in theory is 28.88" in diameter. Most 30x9.50s run about 29.5 ... and most 31s actually run about 30.5.

So will 30s look too small with 2" of lift?

30s already look small on a stock Jeep, so yes, they will look even smaller with lift.

If nothing larger fits without rubbing, how could 30s be too small on a stock Jeep?

Does rubbing look good to you?