Ok lets talk metric tonne springs

Here's the spec sheets for the 5-leaf MJ 4+1 and 3+2 MT springs, courtesy of our good buddy Tom @ Hell Creek. As you can see, the 3+2 has a bit more free arch (9.50" vs. 9.12") and is rated a higher in load capacity (1700 lbs vs. 1440 lbs). I have the 3+2 variety on mine and they netted about 3" of lift. I'm thinkin maybe he could whip up a pair of either variety?

Sweet. I think I need to contact this "Tom" character and see what we can work out on a set of 3.5" MT lift springs for my truck. :clapping: So much for paying bills with my tax check..... :doh:

Edit: Just checked the website and he only lists the 4+1 leaf. Do I need to call him and special request the 3+2?

By far the most common were the 3+2 springs (p/n 5200 3676) because they were used on the 86-90 models and there were many more MJs built during those years. The 4+1 springs (p/n 5200 1825), used on the 91-92 HO models, are rare; I've never seen any. But as usual, I'm sure there are exceptions, like JT. And JT's an exception for sure. :D I had pics; gone now. :brows:

By far the most common were the 3+2 springs (p/n 5200 3676) because they were used on the 86-90 models and there were many more MJs built during those years. The 4+1 springs (p/n 5200 1825), used on the 91-92 HO models, are rare; I've never seen any. But as usual, I'm sure there are exceptions. :D

Are yours factory height and they gave you 3" or were they made 3" lift springs?

By far the most common were the 3+2 springs (p/n 5200 3676) because they were used on the 86-90 models and there were many more MJs built during those years. The 4+1 springs (p/n 5200 1825), used on the 91-92 HO models, are rare; I've never seen any. But as usual, I'm sure there are exceptions, like JT. And JT's an exception for sure. :D I had pics; gone now. :brows:

My 86 has 4+1. :D

My new packs were OEM regulation MT 3+2 springs (p/n 5200 3676), not "lift" springs. I measured 3" of additional lift when I installed them to replace my saggy standard duty springs. It actually measured out about 2-1/2" over stock though since my original springs were sagged 1/2". And after a year of hauling crap, they settled out about 1/2" as they all do, so they will give you at least 2", prolly 3" over what you are now.

I did not get my MT packs from Tom, since I wasn't aware of him four years ago when I got my springs. Got them here: http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_springs/jeep/comancheclub.html. They may be less or more now, give them a call and ask for Joe.

Whatchu, my apologies brotha, I "assumed" you were looking for a factory set for less money than aftermarket replacements. I should have asked and could have told you there are a few different mfr's/suppliers for those if you are willing to buy new, which is certainly the way to go if you can. That being said, I'd suggest you send HellCreek (Tom's a member here) a PM, I'd also be curious if they would make up any 3+2s. Don actually got his from another spring shop, so I'll let him fill you in on the details of that.

Don, just to add to the wondrous confusion of all this, the MT packs I got were off of an 86 LWB 4x4 w/AMC20 rear, are 4+1 packs, evenly spaced, tapered, and has the friction pads between all of the uppers, so they certainly seem factory. :hmm:

Don, just to add to the wondrous confusion of all this, the MT packs I got were off of an 86 LWB 4x4 w/AMC20 rear, are 4+1 packs, evenly spaced, tapered, and has the friction pads between all of the uppers, so they certainly seem factory. :hmm:

As far as the 3+2 and 4+1 MT spring years, I'm going by the official parts manuals, and back when I was researching all this and bought mine, it was verified by Charles at Alcan Springs. Bottom line:

You never can never say anything in black and white terms regarding how MJs are equipped. They were all gray.......... :D

My new packs were OEM regulation MT 3+2 springs (p/n 5200 3676), not "lift" springs. I measured 3" of additional lift when I installed them to replace my saggy standard duty springs. It actually measured out about 2-1/2" over stock though since my original springs were sagged 1/2". And after a year of hauling crap, they settled out about 1/2" as they all do, so they will give you at least 2", prolly 3" over what you are now.

I did not get my MT packs from Tom, since I wasn't aware of him four years ago when I got my springs. Got them here: http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_springs/jeep/comancheclub.html. They may be less or more now, give them a call and ask for Joe.

Kewl thanks for the info.

Our 3 inch lift 4+1 MJ rear springs are actually made from slightly heavier steel than the 1440 lb. capacity 4+1 MT springs, but, since they are also a little longer due to the lift, we rate them at 1440 lbs.

We would be happy to make a batch run of the 3+2 MT rear springs, if we thought folks would actually buy them. As you can see from Don's post, we do have the blueprint. The only problem is getting folks to actually buy the springs once they are completed. We have run into this before, making springs that people "really wished someone would make" for their truck, only to have the springs sit on a pallet for two years gathering dust and tying up our money. It's not always true that "if you build it, they will come." I don't mean to sound cynical about this, but we really can't afford to tie up funds in this economy on products that may or may not sell -- someday.

Having said that, if four or five people would commit to buy the springs, we will make them. We would have to order the steel and work them into the schedule, so it would probably take about 4 weeks.

Thanks,

Tom

Our 3 inch lift 4+1 MJ rear springs are actually made from slightly heavier steel than the 1440 lb. capacity 4+1 MT springs, but, since they are also a little longer due to the lift, we rate them at 1440 lbs.

We would be happy to make a batch run of the 3+2 MT rear springs, if we thought folks would actually buy them. As you can see from Don's post, we do have the blueprint. The only problem is getting folks to actually buy the springs once they are completed. We have run into this before, making springs that people "really wished someone would make" for their truck, only to have the springs sit on a pallet for two years gathering dust and tying up our money. It's not always true that "if you build it, they will come." I don't mean to sound cynical about this, but we really can't afford to tie up funds in this economy on products that may or may not sell -- someday.

Having said that, if four or five people would commit to buy the springs, we will make them. We would have to order the steel and work them into the schedule, so it would probably take about 4 weeks.

Thanks,

Tom

Pre-Order (w/Deposit) + Group Buy + Big ComancheClub Discount = :bowdown:

Ok so I need to look for 5 leaf packs. Most commonly 3 longs and 2 shorts. But they could be progressively shorter leaves.

Correct?

I don't think that's correct. I'd say the 4+1 is the more common configuration by far. I have never seen any metric tonne MJ with anything other than the 4+1 springs, and the first I ever heard of a possible 3+2 version was in reading this thread.

I don't think that's correct. I'd say the 4+1 is the more common configuration by far. I have never seen any metric tonne MJ with anything other than the 4+1 springs, and the first I ever heard of a possible 3+2 version was in reading this thread.

Perhaps the 4+1 is the most common, I don't know for sure, but it really doesn't matter. I've posted a couple of times in the past regarding the two species of metric ton springs, including the part numbers, load ratings and arch. Most of the info I posted was provided by Charles at Alcan and AMC/Mopar parts manuals. For sure there were two distinct MT leaf spring animals with different specs. I don't need new springs again, but if I did I'd most likely get them from Tom. :D

]

Exactly, everyone is "Oh I'm interested. How much?"

Then when the check comes "Oh I think I will pass."

Cash up front, I won't be left holding the bag, and neither should you.

The MT package allowed a payload of a little over 2200 pounds. So the springs are rated for a bit more than 2200 pounds PLUS the empty rear axle weight rating.

I believe the springs are rated 1440lbs for te 4+1s and 1700lbs for the 3+2s. Aftermarket springs vary, I believe Hellcreeks are of the 1400-1500lb variety, Motion Offroad's are HD springs are rated at 1200-1400 I think (not sure), the Alcans that Hornbrod has I believe are factory spec, and another member (TNT or Eagle?) told me about General Spring out of Kansas who has MT packs rated at 1500lbs. If I am correct the total payload rating of 2205lbs should be arrived at by the spring rating, axle rating, and tires, i.e. the springs alone do not equal the payload rating.

The MT package allowed a payload of a little over 2200 pounds. So the springs are rated for a bit more thaIf I am correct the total payload rating of 2205lbs should be arrived at by the spring rating, axle rating, and tires, i.e. the springs alone do not equal the payload rating.

Correct, but its nice to know what the OEM MT springs were rated at for comparison with new aftermarket springs these days.

Hmmm...still waiting to see how much they might run (from what I can tell son's are sagging about 1/2 ").

Now, another question: He doesn't get a lot of 'bounding' (of the backend) when the bed is empty, but I imagine that brand new springs might have that effect. If anyone has replaced thiers can you chime in here and let us know?

Hmmm...still waiting to see how much they might run (from what I can tell son's are sagging about 1/2 ").

Now, another question: He doesn't get a lot of 'bounding' (of the backend) when the bed is empty, but I imagine that brand new springs might have that effect. If anyone has replaced thiers can you chime in here and let us know?

When I put mine on they of course rode a bit stiffer unloaded, but nothing I would call bounding. The shell I always carry I'm sure helped too. :D I had an 01 XJ at the time and it rode stiffer than the MJ.

My 91 long bed came from the factory with the metric ton package - think it is a 3/2 spring pack. The previous owner added 2 additional springs to each side some time in the past. Will see if I can find the paper work and will post a pic of the spring pack if requested.

Yes, it rides like a truck and the only time I have stressed the truck was when I put a bunch of sod behind the rear axel. Not in the middle of the bed for a better weight distribution.