2.8L w/ 3-speed auto = 3.73

Always heard 2.5l with auto was 4.56?

Yes...but EXTREMELY hard to find...

4.0L w/ 5-speed manual = 3.07

4.0l w/ automatic = 3.55

2.5L w/ 4-speed manual = 3.55

2.5L w/ 5-speed manual = 4.10

2.5L w/ AW4 automatic (MJ only) = 4.56

I just want to add that anything from 86 really should be inspected first hand to be sure. There's so much variation that it's hard to say for sure. My 2.8/5speed has 4.10s.

2.5L w/ 3-speed auto = 3.73 (?)

2.8L w/ 5-speed manual = 3.73 (?)

2.8L w/ 3-speed auto = 3.73

And I forget to add that Chrysler changed things post-1990 and used 4.10s behind all the 2.5L engines, 5-speed or automatic. (And they discontinued the 4-speed manual.)

Nothing is guaranteed with the XJs or MJs. What I posted is my general understanding of what you're likely to find, but ... as I think Ronald Reagan said ... "Trust, but verify."

so.... if I knew where a 2.5l mj was thats auto it'd be 4.56's? Cause I know where one is... It has the shifter on the column though. Would that mean it's a 3spd w/ 3.73's?
Can you get a VIN off of it?

Well I just got back from where that MJ is. Got the VIN, also crawled under it and checked the tag on the diff. It is a 4.56 D35. The vin is 1JFT36E3KL471824 I know the guys said it had a hole in the block, but everything on the truck is pretty much cherry. No rust, straight body, good looking gray interior, nice header/grill, crack free tails,,, and wanted $400 for it.. I think I may be able to talk him down, but... Think its worth it to part out..

You're seriously thinking of parting out an MJ that nice? :no:

I like my truck more.. don't think it needs 4.56 gears though. Not many parts I need off it except the tailgate, maybe the tail lights. I think it'd be better off here then sitting rotting in a lonely JY.

:dunno:

There was two rows of numbers on the tag on the rearend. The 4:56 was stamped on the bottom, far left. It was bolted down on the left side of the tag at about the 1 or 2 o'clock position on the pumpkin. I'm 100% sure it said 4.56.

I wouldn't mind getting it, but I know another 4cyl 5spd which should be 4:10 and better suited in my 2wd street sweeper, with a $300 price tag. 4:56's I think would be a lil over kill..

I like my truck more.. don't think it needs 4.56 gears though. Not many parts I need off it except the tailgate, maybe the tail lights. I think it'd be better off here then sitting rotting in a lonely JY.

Absolutely you should keep it from the junkyard's grasp, but some of us live in places where good condition bodies are few and far between and figure each one should be cherished. :(

This is interesting... The Ident shows that it came with a 3.47 gear ratio... :hmm:

I was looking for a info site like that before. what site is that. I would love to run a v# or 2.

if you found a set of 4 56 and you do not want them please post an ad. I would think someone would take them.

If I was closer I would...

Well, I can ask a price for just the rear end, but by the time it'd take to remove and all I'd rather have the whole truck here. I may when money starts flowing again, but for now I think Ill just keep an eye on it. The guy said he'll call me if anything changes, fat chance with that happening though. I have no problem taking someone there whos wanting it, but I can't just give my honey holes out for everybody to spy... :brows:

I was looking for a info site like that before. what site is that. I would love to run a v# or 2.

I was recently laid off from a dealership, but I still have my access to the internet based parts lookup system called Star Parts...that screen shot is from there. Only Chrysler employees have access... ;)