broken down in a place that cant be towed from

so thats that. --- heard a whirring noise coming from area of fuel tank. a little while goes by and i stop and shut it off. 15 mins later i get back in. start up and go and right away it dies. and is still dead.

its an '89 pioneer 4.0 5 speed 4x4. does this mean the fuel pump is in the tank ? and whats up with getting it going and getting it to a safer place?

as a bonus - just before this happened my back went out and am in full spasm as i write this.

any help greatly apppreciated if its soon . thanks.

the haynes manual say it requires removal of the fuel tank for '88 and earlier so I'm not sure what to do

and am pressed caues i gotta start a new job in the morn and can't just get a tow truck becuse of where its situated.

Sure sounds like the fuel pump to me & yes it's located in the tank. It would be almost impossible to replace while you’re on the side of the road. Perhaps you might get lucky and have a bad fuse or electrical connection.

As far as towing her, any good tow guy can run their recovery cable and pull her into a suitable lift position. However the cost for their time is usually substantial. Do you have AAA or equivalent?

Sure sounds like the fuel pump to me & yes it's located in the tank. It would be almost impossible to replace while you’re on the side of the road. Perhaps you might get lucky and have a bad fuse or electrical connection.

As far as towing her, any good tow guy can run their recovery cable and pull her into a suitable lift position. However the cost for their time is usually substantial. Do you have AAA or equivalent?

BS! It be a pain in the butt, but you can change out the fuel pump on the side of the road. and really only a few thing holding the tank up so could just drop it and take it with you and fix it then put it back in. But first I'd check the pump, take a set of jumper cables hook them up, crawl under the truck pull the fuel pump plug and take the hot and negative and test the pump, gator clips works good for this, this will tell you if the pump is working or not to ensure this is the issue and not a break in the line from there. Gotta work from point A to B.

meatgrinder13, I'm thinking not being he said he broke down in a place he could not be towed. :nuts:

I have had several problems over the years with my cherokees, so try cycling your key on and off several times before trying to start it, let it on for for ten seconds then off, on again for ten seconds then off. when you try to started, rev up to about 1500 rpm's and keep it there. Also try some HEET in the gas, might help. You can pull and plug the vacuum line to fuel regulator and try to start it. this will cause same problem or try changing the fuel filter.

thanx guys -very much - i got the kind of back pain that floors u (am on way to hosp right now).

havnt found a way to get at it yet and as soon as a willing friend turns up i will go out and do what i can.

Dirty --- i want to try the stick trick first - just couldnt get under there with this back thing goin on. the weird part is I'm startingt a new job tomorrw morn. and the truck is my driver too--so needless to say I'm having a frustrating eve.

best case scenario now seems to b that i can co-ordinate a truck rescue in morn (assuming i can describe where it is, a way to get into it , find someone who will go look at it , and it hasnt been vandalized. )

thanx again all ------sincerely, shawn.

the haynes manual say it requires removal of the fuel tank for '88 and earlier so I'm not sure what to do

and am pressed caues i gotta start a new job in the morn and can't just get a tow truck becuse of where its situated.

Haynes is wrong. The access is on the upper inside (not the top) of the tank, facing the drive shaft. The entire pump and fuel gauge sender assembly is on a mounting flange that's held into the tank by a locking ring and a rubber gasket. You do not need to drop the tank to remove the fuel pump. It wil be much easier, though, if you drop the rear drive shaft to give you room to work.

I agree with Eagle. Having had several issues with my sender unit, I was removing/reinstalling it almost weekly for a few months. No need to drop the tank or remove the drive shaft, but removing the drive shaft does make it a little easier.

Upside is, I bet I can now remove one, change out the pump and have it reinstalled within 20 minutes tops,

A huge thank you to all who replied. the update so far is : i made it to work, back's feeling a little better, and while i was there, a guy from my local wheeling, who ive never met, phoned and went with my wife and pulled it back to civilization with his YJ. apparently he knew a landowner nearby and was able to pull it through his property.

i just go in from work and i now have the option of having it towed- which make a huge difference to me. there's some good people out there (and around here too).

ya - i guess i was playing alone . - it started with simply taking the dog out for a run, but one trail led to another....... and ended with me and the dog in a taxi home.

tomorrow's another day . - thanx again to all.