Turbo Tyler's 87 manche. (pics Added)

Hey guys found this forum searching. member of a few others online. and love them. Well to the point.

I needed a 4x4 for this winter and got searching in my area for a older 4x4 ended up buying an 1987 jeep comanche chief for a whole 500.00

i figured it ran and drove home about 45min. its a pretty old beat up truck. but i have never bought anything i havent worked on so i figured i would tackle this let me know what you guys think. its a 5 speed 4.0

plans for the beast.

4-5 inch suspension lift... nothing too crazy would like to get some decent tires. but not trying to mt everest.

got plugs wires oil.. filter water pump. it needs a lot of tlc. but let me know what other things are bad at going out on these.

needs some body work but i don't think i will go that far. maybe some bed liner primer two tone. :) the best haha. local pick and pull will help with most.

I would also like to replace most of the steering components up front.

aV2NBNi.jpg

gx1tRui.jpg

well here's the "find" let me know if i wasted 500 bucks

has a little body rust but none on the frame

yea.. today took all the front end apart. and painted it.. don't really need to be worring about cosmetics. but i also got rotor. cap new serp belt. and oil change. going to get it all road worthy. will most likely. do some steering compenents. ball joints before i trust it on the road. but clutch is good. shifts fine. and

got an extra fender with it and all new brakes got those on. i will not worry about the lift for about another month.

guy in the background is my uncle.

love the site. good info and some amazing trucks here guys.

gx3ZZQS.jpg

and on the brush guard. might be making one from my buddys new frontier work for it. maybe some fabbing its nice. and if i can get it to look decent. i will let you know. i just painted low gloss black. and one of the head light guards its tweaked back towards the headlight.. but easy fix other than that i tightened the bolts on it and its looking good. :cheers: love this little truck. came with a tool box in bed too hah.

to tell you the truth i have not even looked at front or rear. just a glance to see if they were leaking. i figured on replacing fluids here soon. but i will check. but i know it is the jeep comanche. if that tells you anything at all.

And i have a question it has powdercoated red coil springs up front. ? lift or just some one with rattle can ? i don't think it looks lifted. or is that a sign of the 1 ton suspension. i don't know let me know how i can tell.

If your rear diff cover is shaped like an oval its a Dana 35 if it is shaped like a stop sign its a Dana 44.

I bought an identical truck and mine came with a Dana 44. I know there is another Chief on here, (offroader i believe) who was also blessed with a 44.

By the way that is the best paint scheme of all time. (Trust me I'm not Biased)

thats an old picture but I still rock the stock paint and emblems

well its stop sign shaped :) and i love tha paint pattern too its just this truck is got a lot of dents and dings in it. and i am going to replace one of the fron fenders. and most likely go to primer it. but i would live to bring the paint scheme back into it. maybe in a different color. but i don't know.

o yea and your truck is my background on my computer and phone. just fyi because its awesome. would love to get mine there some day. but i am planning on a hybrid lift like on Lead not follows manche. SOA in the rear and then some motion products up front.

hey guys thats awesome that i have a 44 back there. but i pulled the beast up on my ramps today and I'm leaking gear oil from the front dif at the wheel. i am a car guy small block chevys and all that good stuff did a few lifts on trucks but it was IFS never messed with a solid axle any help would help a lot. i have replaced hubs and things is that what i should do here. think it went out and is causing there to be a gap on the input shaft and causing leaking.

Sorry if this is conflicting and not being in the tech forum if so just let me know i will repost. thanks

if your leaking diff fluid at the wheel I would guess that you have a vacuum disco Dana 30 front and it is worn out. I am speaking from past experience. If it were my truck i would try to either find a non-vacuum d30 or maybe a matching d44 if you are going to be wheeling this truck.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

well i do plan on wheeling the truck but not right off i want it to be a mild dd wheeling truck and i do plan on doing a 44 front swap there is one on my local craigslist From an xj with 3.55 gears. But what is all involved in the swap I'm kinda doing a budget buid. Thats why i am waiting to do some hybrid lift and get tires when i am done.

I just need to know If i Have to do a swap. Or is this fixable to drive for a little because I'm not going to be wheeling any time soon.

thanks for the help

lol understood. and sweet photoshop :) looks like its right out of the haynes. jk but i appriciate the information and i will correct it. but i am in need of some information on the fron diff. i will take pictures tom morning but does anyone have any info until then?