So i blew my motor

Ok so about 30 Minutes ago i blew my motor. looks like part of the cam shaft blew and Created a large Hole in my oil pan...... Anyways. Will a 87-95 4.0 I6 Cherokee motor Fit directly In place of my old engine... Sigh I'm going to start crying Now.

It sounds like you probably threw a rod off of the crank shaft, not the cam as the cam is up higher in the block.

Anyway...whatever it is...it sucks.

'87 - '90 is Renix. If you go '91 or newer you get the HO, but you will have a lot of adapting to do with the newer style computer, fuel injection and engine control system.

I have never heard of a thrown rod having been caused by the engine overheating.

Now a blown head gasket would be a different matter.

The only time I've experienced a thrown rod (as a passenger) was a Chevy K20 running 100mph/160km/h for 3 hours straight (4 am in Saskatchewan, Canada). And the temp gauge ran a perfect 190-210 the whole time. It came right out the bottom of the oil pan.

The problem there was that a 15 year old 350 is not meant to rev 3500 rpm for 3 hours straight (4200 was red line). The owner was not very happy when he found out.

I popped the motor in my 1991 cherokee, same thing, #6 rod punched 3 holes in the pan and a softball sized hole in the block. I reused my head, but I also got a new block and made a stroker out of it. Machined the head and reworked it, although a prelim inspection showed it being pretty good, most of what we did was a port and polish and a valve job, did not need to deck it much at all, no warpage.

He did not necessarily overheat it. When I lost my rod I had 190ish temp wise showing on the gauge.

I say build a stroker, you can do it for the same cost as a rebuilt motor. Now is a perfect excuse to do so.

I know this will not help much.........But I have a couple Renix era low mileage 4.0 engines here........and your WAY up there :cry:

If you want a "Quick fix" the best thing is to find a '87-90 4.0, and just swap it out, shouldn't take you more that a weekend to do that, then plan on the long term stoker.

It didn't look like a rod. But What do i know. So 87-90 K

Any one got a engine for sale :D

I have one that could be for sale. Not sure how many miles are on it, but it's supposed to be in decent shape internally. I'm in southern Connecticut. How far north in maine in Bingham? (For reference, I'm 5 hours from Portland, 4 hours from the I-95 bridge to NH at Kittery.)

i have a 97 engine/head with renix manifolds on it and a knock sensor and all that jazz... you'll have to change the wiring on the temperature sender and adapt it into the thermostat housing if you wanted to have a gauge or run an aftermarket one.

but yes pretty much any 4.0L will bolt right in your engine's place just swapping over accessories. except the 01+motors that will have dist.less ignition.

My stroker build cost me 1600 total. That was all the parts, the machine work, extra pieces that did not need to be replaced, beer, and a couple of lunches for buddies who helped. I went with lower priced reccomends from the machine shop on my pistons, and they worked great, reused my cam, and my boss redid the head for free at his race shop(he needed to hone up his skills before race season.

you can do it pretty fast if you can get the parts in the same place, the build is easy and the engine swap is strait forward.

Suggestion:

And yes I do know where Bingham is. While it may not be "nowhere", you can see "nowhere from there in all directions....

;)

You can pick up rusted out Jeeps all over that will not get a sticker anymore for cheap money.

Either 1) find a Cherokee that has the Renix set up <1990 and do a transplant to your comanche, or

2) find a later >1991 Cherokee and swap out everthing that it has that you would need.

hey ive got a motor out of an 89 i bought of "rejeep" a few years back. he said it has 80k on it. when i bought it i replaced the rearmain, headgasket, valvecover gasket, pushrods, thermostat probably a few other things i can't remember now. i never put the motor in my truck it was in storage for a while but right now its covered outside my buddies house in MA. ill be heading down there this weekend and i can grab it if your interested. it also has a pacesetter header on it. let me know what you think

your about 3.5 hours away. my fam does head up to houlton ME sometimes if you don't need it right away.