Valve cover gasket project

Ok, this is not a big project, but here it is...

I recently swapped-out the valve cover gasket with the Fel-Pro product. Let me say that this is a quality product and strongly recommend it.

Here is picture of the inside of valve cover gasket. I guess this is what 200K miles worth of crud looks like:

I ended up cleaning the baked-on crud off the inside of cover including disassembling the two port elements-unfortunately I neglected to snap a picture of the clean cover.

I used a piece of cardboard to keep track of the position of each bolt:

Exposed head-fortunately no surprises here:

Valve cover painted with heat resistant paint:

Head with gasket installed:

Painted valve cover installed. Its black-does that mean I have the 190 HP HO engine now?

• 1 month later...

Those rocker arms don't look to badly discolored. On the motor I just did the headgasket on, the rockers were kind of rough in texture. Like it had been run hot and low on oil frequently in its past. 199,900 miles and counting...

Looks like I really need to consider rebuilding the motor from the parts rig to have on hand when the motor in my 90 finally craps out. The parts rig had 220,000 miles under it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sand blasted... twice.... primed,wet sanded, then totally cheeped out and used a spray can :doh: came out good,, need to re-do with some good paint though.. Tried to buff it with some compound,, spray paint don't likey compound... :doh: :doh:

before the rub down. still looks good though

here's a prelude VC I did.. toot,toot......

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Sand blasted... twice.... primed,wet sanded, then totally cheeped out and used a spray can :doh: came out good,, need to re-do with some good paint though.. Tried to buff it with some compound,, spray paint don't likey compound... :doh: :doh:

before the rub down. still looks good though

here's a prelude VC I did.. toot,toot......

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Thanks JT - but your pic taking skills need work too, like mine. :D

Reckon that Honda cover might fit? Oh, 4-banger, never mind. Looks great though. I'm going to have a friend powder coat mine w. the cover the same (or close as I can find) same as my body color, w. polished ribs. I'll do the prep, and the finish. Here's the prep so far on a spare:

Image Not Found

Reckon that Honda cover might fit? Oh, 4-banger, never mind. Looks great though. I'm going to have a friend powder coat mine w. the cover the same (or close as I can find) same as my body color, w. polished ribs. I'll do the prep, and the finish. Here's the prep so far on a spare:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Looks good so far... I took a die grinder and hit a bunch of spots on my VC. It had alot of burs and flashing on it from casting. The polishing is pretty easy on aluminum I just keep going up in grit starting with 320 till about 1200 then used mothers and a old t-shirt. Oh and those (well most) of my pictures are taking with a phone= $hitty pics....

I found a place near me that does powder coating, but cost is lil too much. I wonder how hard it is to match colors with powder.. I want to get all my window trim pieces PC'd gloss black, and a set of wheels,,, unless I come across some chrome ZJ ones!! :brows:

Oh by the way did I tell you suck??? :rant:

Image Not Found

Looks good so far... I took a die grinder and hit a bunch of spots on my VC. It had alot of burs and flashing on it from casting. The polishing is pretty easy on aluminum I just keep going up in grit starting with 320 till about 1200 then used mothers and a old t-shirt. Oh and those (well most) of my pictures are taking with a phone= $hitty pics....

I found a place near me that does powder coating, but cost is lil too much. I wonder how hard it is to match colors with powder.. I want to get all my window trim pieces PC'd gloss black, and a set of wheels,,, unless I come across some chrome ZJ ones!! :brows:

Oh by the way did I tell you suck??? :rant: