Weird Noise

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grab the sawzall when your wife's not looking.

And now that you have presumably fixed your temperature problems, and have had enough time to hire a new delivery person, you gonna go to Badlands Oxt 25?

My temp problems haven't really been solved. I'm just band-aiding (is this a real word :nuts: ) the prob by running the electric fan and HVAC controls on full blast.

Screw the fine, this bastard gets free food all the time. At least he should have said something about the fine.

I'm trying reeeeealy hard not to pick up that sawzall.

Can't go on the 25th. However the good news is I'm giving up on the shop.

I put it up for sale with a real estate agent. Hopefully the sucker sells and I'll go get a normal job with the mob so I can have more time to work on the MJ (and of course spend more time with the wife and kids)

I'm ripping the cat off tonight......one way or another.

aye chico i still would like to here the sawzall story :brows: it must be a good one if ya keepin it underwraps :laughin: I still think they sale hollow cats and maybe JC withney has them goodluck :cheers:

Yeah! Why don't you try that JT? Sigh................

Well my xj is a 96 and its going to have to have the sniffer test.. Its the one that has the rattles that I thought was the transfer case chain rattling... The mj,,,, well I'm just disappointed in it.. :roll: low oil pressure and I really think its the bearings... :roll: :cry: Think I can pass a sniff test with the cat hollowed out?? I don't think so, but I could be wrong..

Edit,,,, Don I'm not Chico...... :cheers:

Well my xj is a 96 and its going to have to have the sniffer test.. Its the one that has the rattles that I thought was the transfer case chain rattling... The mj,,,, well I'm just disappointed in it.. :roll: low oil pressure and I really think its the bearings... :roll: :cry: Think I can pass a sniff test with the cat hollowed out?? I don't think so, but I could be wrong..

nope sorry.

Edit,,,, Don I'm not Chico...... :cheers:

Errr, sorry JT. I must need another Miller HL. :cheers: SERIOUSLY though, I've read a few NAXJA posts from various Cali guys passing emission tests w. a hollowed out cat. Never tried myself, 'cause I don't need to. Worth a shot?

i passed a sniffer with a dead cat... by use of a variable map sensor and a non-adjustable distributor. turned the disty until she started poppin and banging and gettin ALLLL sortsa pissed off and it blew all kinds of $#!& out the tailpipe, then put it back to normal

then i turned my map sensor down to about 4.2V (as low as my resistor will run it) and she passed

EDIT:

as far as penalties there are none, but you must be passed and re-registered before your tag expires or you get an extra tag fee. and an expired tag ticket from driving on one is NO fun. trust me.

you pay 25$ a test here and get a free re-test 2nd go round hten pay for 3rd get 4th free lol

Stardate 123456

Still got nothing done. FX, don't have welder. It'd be cheaper to buy a cat.

I found one at Quadratech for $125

Ej, I'll check whitney's, thanks :cheers:

Sawzall story tonight, I actually have to go work right now :rant:

I used this one way back when when I had a cat. Passed emissions just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COPBPI?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pricegrabber2-auto-20&linkCode=asn

That's even better. Thanks Don :cheers:

Ok, story time.

I'm sitting on my neighbor's front porch a couple months back, drinking a couple beers and shooting the breeze with Chris (my neighbor), when Barb (his wife) comes out completely intoxicated and starts to run her mouth off. We blow her off for a while but soon she becomes extremely unsocial and rude. She's been complaining for God knows how long about this half-dead pine tree I have in my backyard that "keeps dropping needles in her yard and is killing her grass". Once again on this night she whines and complains about the needles telling me that I need to chop it down. It wouldn't be so bad except for that fact that during one of our last wind-storms a decent sized branch broke and fell on her shed and knicked a tile off the roof. My reply as always has been, "sure Barb I'll get around to it as soon as you get off your keister and loose some of that weight you put on after popping out 2 bambino's." This is when she usually calls me an a$$hole and storms back in her house slamming the door behind her. Needless to say on this very night she took my comment the wrong way, but instead of going back in continued to harrass me about the damn pine tree. A couple more hours passed of continual harrasment so finally I succumed and thanks to the fact that I didn't take my meds for the day and the fact that I was drinking I finally let it all out.

Screaming and yelling led to me finally deciding if that fat cow wanted the tree down, then by golly, I was gonna take it down right then and there.

I told her I was gonna do it right now.

Chris laughed at me and said "Dude, relax. Anyway, I bet you fifty dollars you won't do it now."

Ahh, a friendly wager. Something I would never turn down. (I hope you guys see where this is going.) So off I went into the night. Of course in the middle of the night I couldn't seem to get my chainsaw going and desperate to make good on a promise and win myself that $50 bucks I of course went straight for my reciprocating saw. Plugged that sucker into the wall, ran an extension cord and went at it to that bloody 60 foot pine which was only really about 12 inches in diameter. Chop and saw and saw and chop, chip, cut, rip, pull, push and knaw I did. And when all was said and done, yes that pine came down. Came down hard it did with a BANG, and a BONG, and a CRASH. It came down with all it's fury.

It came down right on top of good old Barb's shed :eek:

Of course if you've read this far I feel obliged to tell you that this whole story is a ruze. It's just Ej pumped it up so far for me that I thought I might as well make up something to keep the entertainment going :rotfl2:

The truth is everytime I pull the Dewalt out, the damn thing ends up costing twice as much as if I hadn't used it so my wife always tells me to put it away :D

Back to my cat. I went to loosen the two bolts that are attached to the u shaped clamp behind the cat and surprise suprise, I busted the U-bolt. Before screaming anymore obseneties I decided to just get up, walk away and start fresh later. I'll keep you guys updated :cheers:

Yes, rusted u bolts on exhaust do usually break. U bolts are cheap. U bolts are available at all parts stores.

But after you get the U bolt off, you still have the dent in the pipe, pressing into the dent in the inside pipe, and they still will not want to come apart.

Good luck!

Yes, rusted u bolts on exhaust do usually break. U bolts are cheap. U bolts are available at all parts stores.

But after you get the U bolt off, you still have the dent in the pipe, pressing into the dent in the inside pipe, and they still will not want to come apart.

Good luck!

Anybody got any good ideas on how to get the back of the cat out of the pipe without destroying it. It's definately stuck.

Good luck!

Anybody got any good ideas on how to get the back of the cat out of the pipe without destroying it. It's definately stuck.

As mvusse wrote, the pipe has an 'impression' from the U-clamp and will not just pull apart.......so take your tree cutting sawzal and cut the pipe just behind where the clamp was, then to put-r back together, just get a short exhaust pipe extension, and cut that to fit.......with your tree cutting sawzal :roll:

Hollowed out the cat guys. No change in noise :cry:

The good news is I think the truck acclerates faster now. Only drove it about 1 mile and a half. Not sure if it'll make a differnce on my running hot problem yet.

Anybody got any other suggestions on the original noise. I'll get a better video up then :D

if ya had a way to scope the noise and isolate where it is comming from what it sounds like to me is that it could be chatter from the rockers/ lifters or timing chain slop :hmm: i would try and get one of those mechnic's scope and you can find where the noise is coming from.

if ya had a way to scope the noise and isolate where it is comming from what it sounds like to me is that it could be chatter from the rockers/ lifters or timing chain slop :hmm: i would try and get one of those mechnic's scope and you can find where the noise is coming from.

Yeah, well I had one of those stethoscopes from that kid's game "Operation" but all I hear is the engine rumbling. :rotfl2:

I'm just kidding. That's a good idea. I'm heading out for the week and I doubt I'll have an internet connection but I'll try that as soon as I get back :cheers:

That is disappointing news as I really thought that it was the cat from what I could hear in that video. :cry:

My truck had a rattle/tap noise in it when I first got it, but it was constant and it turned out to be just a broken valve spring.

That is disappointing news as I really thought that it was the cat from what I could hear in that video. :cry:

My truck had a rattle/tap noise in it when I first got it, but it was constant and it turned out to be just a broken valve spring.

No problemo Taz. It was a valiant effort and guess :cheers:

Of course this means I won't be paying you your $65.99 diagnostic fee :rotfl2: